[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Saving on Car Insurance with Modded Cellhphones

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: dorifto.gif (942KB, 500x399px) Image search: [Google]
dorifto.gif
942KB, 500x399px
My auto insurance asked me if I'm interested in a thing where they use my cellphone (GPS and accelerometer I guess) to record my driving habits, so I can save on insurance. No, I didn't mean to post this on /o/.

Now, I wouldn't save any, considering I usually drive 10 to 20 kph above the speed, accelerate/brake harder than average, and rip through roundabouts/interchanges at my limit of grip. But I was thinking: if I disabled my phones GPS (so they can't get readings off of it), and altered the motion sensor (or whatever it's called) to read, say, 20% low than normal, maybe I could save a ton of money by doing that?

Would this be possible /g/entoomen?
>>
>>56409808
Yes.
>>
>>56409808
Yes.
>>
Of course it is. You'll just need an Android phone with hardware level access. And a program that can change the calibration of the sensors. I assume they will use the gyro, and accelerometer. Gps spoofing is pretty easy there are a few apps for that. Sensor spoofing is hard though. And you'd probably have to make your own custom app since not every phone uses the same sensors.
>>
Also you can just cut off the phone when your breaking the law. A lot of people unplug that stupid progressive ob2 scanner when there hooning on there cars.
>>
File: md9ieoXxw61r4mqkwo1_400.jpg (14KB, 360x275px) Image search: [Google]
md9ieoXxw61r4mqkwo1_400.jpg
14KB, 360x275px
Insurance companies love it when you try to fool them go for it anon you have nothing to lose ;^)
>>
>>56409808
How about just driving like a sensible human being and not putting yourself and others' lives at risk by being a tryhard douchebag, OP?
>>
>>56409944
I have a better way.

Download a copy of your kernel, add attenuation to the values that the driver returns, recompile the kernel and flash it.
>>
>>56409808
>to record my driving habits, so I can save on insurance.
Is this even legal? They would be tracking your movements. Pretty sure that's stalking.
>>
>>56409984

This desu fampai
>>
That would basically be insurance fraud, but have fun. Why not just take the deal and not drive like a lunatic so you can save anyway?
>>
>>56410011
t. boring faggot with an automatic silver corolla

Have some fun in your life you miserable fuck
>>
>>56410208
Enjoy wrapping yourself around a tree, for everyone else's sake I hope you do it when there's nobody else around so don't take anyone with you.

If you want to pretend you're a race car driver buy yourself an Ariel Atom and go to your local track day. If you want to save on insurance use your fucking brain and obey traffic law.
>>
>>56410072
That would be semi quicker. Either way I would think it would be a chore. If does the kernel route then that requires him to recompile and reflash it Everytime until the values are correct to fool the insurance app. But the more I think about it, that might be the better idea. Since the app would have no idea the kernel had been tampered with. If you used an application to spoof the values for the sensors then there might be a way for the insurance app to pick up on that and interpret it as tampering. Leading to insurance fraud.
>>
>>56409808
I hope someone steals your phone and tapes it to the underside of a race car.
>>
>>56409808
sounds like botnet to me OP
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.