[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>yfw VMware laid off all of its Workstation and Fusion developers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

File: 1471873722113.png (943KB, 1388x1182px) Image search: [Google]
1471873722113.png
943KB, 1388x1182px
>yfw VMware laid off all of its Workstation and Fusion developers
>>
What? Sauce.

What they will do know? Dockers?
>>
>proprietary NSA accomplice shit

That's why the entire world uses KVM and Xen
>>
They went just full enterprise I guess.
- Now they only have ESXi and vCenter Server only?
- They also stopped updating vSphere client for Windows since 5.0 for sake of the web-app version, which unfortunately works slowly. I envy CLI gurus.
>>
Their licensing was retarded.

You literally just needed to paste a random serial and got free updates 4 lyfe

Maybe they ran out of business
>>
>>56408060
>full enterprise

You mean "full IBM-retarded."

Without consumer/developer line, there's no pipeline to ramp up minor customer into full blown $10M/yr enterprise account.

IBM is finding that out the hard way right now.
>>
File: KarenInfuriated.gif (4MB, 400x209px) Image search: [Google]
KarenInfuriated.gif
4MB, 400x209px
>>56408080
VMware has made the executive decision that no one uses a development VM. No one has ever or ever will setup a VM with a specific development environment, especially when they have to maintain multiple projects.

Fuck these assholes.
>>
File: 1470421512122.jpg (20KB, 480x376px) Image search: [Google]
1470421512122.jpg
20KB, 480x376px
>>56407805
that happened in january - why do you bring it up now?
>>
>>56408136
They fired their Chinese team too.

January was just the U.S. team getting fired.

The product line is actually getting killed.
>>
>>56407805

>using vmware desktop bullshit when there's already virtualbox and KVM

The epitome of idiocy.
>>
>>56408171
Virtual Box runs like shit. Their network adapter setup always fails when you try to share your VM.
>>
>>56408171
either you've never used vmware or you've never used virtualbox/kvm

people pay big money for vmware for a reason and it's because the alternatives suck dick
>>
>>56408198
Having to spend 2 hours troubleshooting why the perfectly fine VM on your machine just broke when you shared it with a new hire is annoying. If a VM isn't portable, it isn't worth being used for development.
>>
>>56408198
RedHat gives official support for KVM, what the hell are you talking about.

Being open source doesn't mean no quality (paid) support when shit goes south
>>
workstation 12 user here

so should i switch to virtual box for playing with linux distros?
>>
I use KVM in Linux and bhyve in FreeBSD.
>>
>>56408326
>All software development VMs are using Linux
Still looking for a job?
>>
>>56408450
>implying I work as a programmer
>>
YEAR OF THE LINUX VIRTUALIZATION
>>
>tfw this will force everybody to upgrade to Windows 10 just so that they can use the latest HyperV
>>
>using botnetware
lol
>>
>>56408171
who the fuck gives a shit about virtual box ?
is that piece of shit even used for anything other than babbys first VM ?
>>
>>56407805
I've seen a few VMWare shops leave for Hyper-V over this. They aren't huge, a couple SAN's and maybe 30 or 40 vhost's.

Con - No hardware pass through.
Pro - Can build a VM in Windows 8 and just copy it over.
>>
>>56409673
It is available since Windows Vista.
>>
>>56409759
hyper-v has no hardware passthrough ?
>>
>>56408465
>Implying everyone in IT is a programmer.
>>
>>56410022
I don't even work in IT you crab.
>>
>>56409982
Not that I've seen, no.

Actually, Server 2016 looks like it will now. Cool.
>>
>>56408394
QEMU/KVM if you're a man, virtualbox if underage.
>>
>>56410038
why the fuck have all those ms kids been shilling hyper-v all the time when it didn't even support hw passthrough ? i honestly don't get why you would run windows on a server
>>
>>56409953
New Hyper-V features are only available if you upgrade Windows version.
>>
>>56410071
virtual box is shit because of Java
>>
File: 1472668038746.png (377KB, 3538x4102px) Image search: [Google]
1472668038746.png
377KB, 3538x4102px
I use Xen and setup a GPU passthrough to guest machines (you need either an IGP or a spare GPU for the use of the host itself, any cheapo one will do)

I have a FX-8370E with 32GB and a R7 250 for the host and a RX 480 8GB for the guests, I give it to either my Win10 VM or my SteamOS VM, depending on if the game is windows-only or not, but both run most games really well at 2560x1440.

I have two SSDs; one 256GB for the host and a 480GB for all the guest images, so loading times are not an issue at all.

Quite happy with the setup, took me a day to get working juuuuuust right.
>>
>>56410306
>took me a day to get working

dropped
>>
>>56408122
>No one has ever or ever will setup a VM with a specific development environment,
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Developer_guide/Using_the_VM
>>
>>56410306
Any reason not to use QEMU/KVM with VFIO? Seams most development for device passthorugh is focused there these days.
>>
>>56410140
You don't need hardware pass through for LAMP, a load balancer, etc.

Server Datacenter will license and activate any VM running under it through AVMA.

But, to your question... AD, Exchange, SharePoint, Dynamics, Lync / SfB, SCCM, etc...
>>
>>56410703
Convenience, extensive usage and existing support.

Since Xen has been around a long while, there is quite a bit of documentation floating about at this point, makes things a LOT easier for edge cases.
>>
>>56410187
virtualbox has nothing to do with java, other than it being owned by Oracle.
>>
>>56410765
>But, to your question... AD, Exchange, SharePoint, Dynamics, Lync / SfB, SCCM, etc...

All superflous shit easily substitutable for even free shit.
>>
>>56410804
I found that most of the xen related documentation was either outdated, contradictory or too spread out.
Any particular guide you would recommend?
Also, what % of the native performance would you say you are getting?
Any inconveniences in your setup? Anything you would improve?
>>
>>56410930
You clearly don't know what you're talking about.
Holy shit.
>>
>>56411039
Found the IT guy.
>>
>>56411111
Nice Quints, bro.
>>
>>56410930
>All superflous shit easily substitutable for even free shit.
Fucking hell. You should try leaving your parents basement once in a while, there's a whole world out there.
>>
>>56412059
Yes a world of old shit and Windows servers thanks to luddites pretending to know about computers.

HURRDURR I WANT CALENDAR EMAIL AND CHAT I MUST SHELL OUT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS FOR THIS COMPLEX TECHNOLOGY AND IT PEOPLE TO KEEP A COUPLE SERVERS PATCHED.

I've gotten one entire (4-man) and half another (3 out of 6) IT teams of retards like you fired after migrating both companies in under a week and showing to the owners how much they were being scammed thinking they had no option but to pay for licenses, support and many maintainers.
>>
>>56412480
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

What did you retire, and what did you replace it with? Did you confirm compliance? Do they call you at 3AM when something is down and costing them 6 figures a minute?

>retards like you fired
Yeah, good luck with that.
>>
So basically in the future if I want a desktop vm I'll either have to use parallels, virtualbox, or the latest ungodly unusable mess some free software devs have cooked up?

The future is bright indeed!
>>
File: Poop_Emoji.png (92KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Poop_Emoji.png
92KB, 640x640px
>>56411039
>>56412059
m-muh exchange
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.