[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: freeshrugs.jpg (75KB, 449x613px) Image search: [Google]
freeshrugs.jpg
75KB, 449x613px
for those of you in IT, how difficult was it to get your first/current job? i have no experience and want to get my A+ cert but im not sure if itll be enough to get my foot in the door
>>
Pretty easy. It was a co-op through my college.
>>
>3rd year CS
>classmate has a job
>looking for summer job
>apply
>get hired
pretty easy
>>
>>56406844

College is a meme. I worked my way up from tier 1 helldesk
>>
>>56406976
thats possible? or am i being trolled
>>
Honestly, I got where I am today without graduating college and without certifications. You have to take a LOT of shit entry level jobs (help desk and service techs always hire anyone who knows what the word "computer" means), but you can rise up through it all to a decent position. My path went as follows:

>dropped out (of community college, no less!)
>got a job as a Dell service tech (went to people's houses to replace faulty hardware)
>after two years of that, got a job as an AT&T temporary service tech (put Android phones together and installed their OS)
>after 6 months of that, got a job as an in-house service tech for an independent IT company (basically resolved the kind of shit-level IT questions in person as opposed to over the phone).
>After a year of that, finally started making headway by getting a tape operator position with a Fortune 500 company (so it stated, I was actually a subcontractor for another contractor for the main company, so they paid shit wages)
>after a few months of that, a network admin position opened up within the company and I applied for that, didn't get that job but got the Windows server admin position that belonged to the guy who DID get the network admin job.
>after two years of that, got let go and found a job as an on-site Dell admin (basically being the in-house IT guy for the company but being paid through Dell)
>and finally, after a year of that, got my current salaried job as a systems administrator (meaning I do a little bit of everything, but I'm not complaining)

If I have any advice, I think it would simply be to never be intimidated by the job requirements for a posting. No matter what you already know, they're going to have to train you with THEIR systems anyway, so if you think you can do the base job, apply for it. Worst they can do is say no.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.