[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Apache is considering shutting down OpenOffice development

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: openoffice.png (58KB, 592x484px) Image search: [Google]
openoffice.png
58KB, 592x484px
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/09/openoffice-after-years-of-neglect-could-shut-down/

>As LibreOffice soars, OpenOffice management considers retiring the project.

>OpenOffice, once the premier open source alternative to Microsoft Office, could be shut down because there aren't enough developers to update the office suite. Project leaders are particularly worried about their ability to fix security problems.

>An e-mail thread titled, "What would OpenOffice retirement involve?" was started yesterday by Dennis Hamilton, vice president of Apache OpenOffice, a volunteer position that reports to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) board.

>"It is my considered opinion that there is no ready supply of developers who have the capacity, capability, and will to supplement the roughly half-dozen volunteers holding the project together," Hamilton wrote.

>No decisions have been made yet, but Hamilton noted that "retirement of the project is a serious possibility," as the Apache board "wants to know what the project's considerations are with respect to retirement."
>>
OpenOffice was propped up for awhile by IBM supporting Lotus which could not switch to libreoffice due to GPL aids. But IBM gave up awhile ago. Openoffice probably should have been shuttered at the same time.
>>
It's over. Microsoft won.

>an open letter to hobbyists.jpg
>>
Libreoffice master race
>>
>>56398968
whats the difference between open and libre office
>>
to be fair what the fuck more needs to be done?
it works already, doesn't it?
>>
>>56399022
Openoffice has literally no development
"vice president of apache openoffice" just means that there's at least two people still associated with the project.
>>
Just move to LibreOffice.
>>
>>56399042
this, open office hasn't actually really received a real upgrade in years, whilst libreoffice manages to pump out at least some shit.
>>
Separation of libre and open office was stupid. After separation there was no reason for open office to exist. It deserves to die.
>>
>>56398463
good night sweet prince
>>
>>56398463
latest Libreoffice is fucking incredible, OpenOffice is obscure
>>
>>56403139
I don't use it much, I'm still not used to this side-panel business. Maybe it'll grow on me, or maybe I'll grow to hate it like I do MS Office's tabs.
>>
How long until next fork and death of Libre?
>>
>>56403603
Fuck you on about? LibreOffice is the fork, but it's been the main contender for several years now.
>>
What was the reasoning for the fork?
>>
>>56403679
Oracle bought Sun.
>>
File: lurker.gif (320KB, 500x409px) Image search: [Google]
lurker.gif
320KB, 500x409px
Seriously, am it the only one who read the wiki?

After Oracle acquired OpenOffice, it asked community members to GTFO. Since everyone despises Oracle, the developers all jumped ship as well and started LibreOffice.

wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Community_Council_Log_20101014

digitizor.com/and-so-the-exodus-begins-33-developers-leave-openoffice-org/
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.