[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Battlebots General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: bbs7e5_warheadhit.jpg (240KB, 1280x738px) Image search: [Google]
bbs7e5_warheadhit.jpg
240KB, 1280x738px
Does /g/ like Battlebots, Robot Wars, Combots, and related leagues/ the sport of robot-fighting in general? Personally, I fucking love this shit. I have watched these sorts of shows ever since I was a kid, and the latest season of Battlebots has not disappointed (although, to be fair, the final fight was somewhat anti-climactic.) I really want to build one of these death-robots, but I don't even know how I'd go about starting a new build. Any of you E/g/gmen build killer robots in your free time?
>>
>>56397352
I liked them when I was a kid on Discovery.
>>
>>56397352
I'd like it a lot if they raised the stakes to millions and encouraged the use of robotics, not just RC toy BS. They probably wouldn't even have to raise the stakes to those levels to make it more interesting, but it would draw more contestants in. If a team did well enough with programming, engineering, machining, and other aspects, they would get the attention of companies that could use their talents.
As it is I watch it from time to time when I'm bored.
>>
>>56397468

In the ideal world, that's what we'd have. As a matter of fact, that's what Megabots Inc. was trying to put together: A multi-million dollar robot fighting league for giant robots. As it currently stands, however, the fight is long-overdue and we haven't had any updates about when it's actually happening for some time. They update their Facebook page pretty frequently, but I want some real news before I get my hopes up.

As for the matter of RC-stuff, I mean, what else would you operate a personal combat robot or drone with IRL, if not a remote control? And while some of them (looking at you, Witch Doctor,) are definitely more like toys, you've also got bots like Tombstone and Icewave that could certainly kill a person.
>>
File: Warhead v Complete Control.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Warhead v Complete Control.gif
2MB, 500x281px
Bump
>>
>>56398754
War is a pretty shit bot by todays standards.
Not even pumping 25kW into their disc saved them this time.
>>
>>56397727
Those are supposed to be human "piloted" aren't they? If so, that still isn't robotics. Megamechs would be a more appropriate name.
Toys can and do kill people all the time. They're still toys.
I meant that in the diminutive sense that they aren't looking to accomplish anything other than mindless entertainment, which is all fine and good if that's what you're in for, but that's all it is.
>>
>>56398821
Yep, they are pretty much 120kg RC cars with higher kinetic energy than a sniper rifle.
>>
>>56397352
Is it against the rules to have radio jammers on you device? I think I have a few ideas that would rek the competition.
>>
>>56398872
Yes.
Were you also that guy that brought a knife to the Beyblade fight in middle school?
>>
>>56398821
>>56398862

Fair enough, although I would argue that, as most of these robots can serve alternative purposes as home defense items, that they hardly qualify as "toys."

>>56398777

That statement is like the equivalent of saying that Poison Arrow is actually a good bot because it got further in the competition. You put Warhead up against most bots in this competition, and it would absolutely destroy them. WH easily could've taken on Poison Arrow, and even Bombshell, who somehow made it to the final round, for instance. The fact is that WH is hard-countered by the current meta, and was out so early because one of the best bots in the game countered it.
>>
File: rwmkill.jpg (88KB, 791x588px) Image search: [Google]
rwmkill.jpg
88KB, 791x588px
>Want to make a robot
>Start reading up on it
>It's all really complex
>Drop it because it's too much work

On a related note did you guys ever realise how big Sir Killalot actually is?

>actually huge
>>
>>56399297
>I'm not sure. Personally, I'm thinking about two designs-- one with a thermite-flinger and a flamethrower, and one with spinning flails attached to a motorized crane. I do not believe thermite is banned.

stop trying to delete your retarded post. its okay to be retarded
>>
>>56399355
Warheads armor consists of extremely thin sheets of aluminium, which is just not enough against anything these days.
Any decently modern hammer, crusher, spinner and probably even flipper would've torn it apart

It just got extremely lucky in its matchups until it faced Minotaur.
Obwalden Overlord wasn't really meant to do anything and Complete Control is a control bot, not really a damaging one.

Really, the only thing it had going for it this season was its absurdly powerful Frisbee.
AFAIK it was theoretically the second most powerful spinner in the competition, only beaten by Minotaur's drum and even surpassing Tombstone.

Don't get me wrong, Warhead (and Razer too, for that matter) is a damn awesome bot and very entertaining to watch, but it's just not competitive anymore in its current iteration.

>>56399391
Saw it in person as a kid.
I could literally look him straight in the eyes when standing upright in front of him.
>>
>>56399421

Trying? I've already succeeded!

>>56399460

I suppose you make a good case, but then how can you explain Yeti? That thing had terrible armor, and yet, it managed to be competitive right up until it lost admirably against Tombstone in the semi-finals. Although I am with you on this one that Warhead really needs better armor, it could be said that "the best defense is a good offense" is actually a viable strategy in Battlebots, these days.

Incidentally, what do you think of Icewave?
>>
>>56399910
I dare to say that Yeti's armor was thicker and, due to it's more boxy shape compared to warhead, simply more robust.
The frame itself is apparently solid, and it's just lacking in top and bottom armor and, obviously, a wedge against spinners.
Also, it seemed faster with better manouverability compared to Warhead. Even the forks on Yeti helped it get out of a lot of shit.
Due to its shape Warhead seems to have a lot more surface for a spinner to actually get a bite on than Yeti.

I love Icewave.
While everyone keeps falling for the brushless meme, they just gave everyone a huge fuck you and came in with a god damn ICE(wave) stuck on top of a shitty metal block with wheels.
Too bad it tends to self destruct in every other match.
But I'm actually surprised that the engine hasn't managed to knock itself off yet.
>>
>>56399910
>>56400965
I mean just look at this fucking thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U47Kdwd13nk
>>
>tfw being too powerful for the BattleBox(tm)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnLEqkhmRgw
>>
>>56401016
What the fuck.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.