[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gab.ai: A free speech twitter alternative

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8

What does /g/ think of this?

https://gab.ai/
https://regated.com/2016/08/introducing-gab-ai-people-first-social-network/
>>
>>56395338
It'll never get traction if the faggot devs don't shill someplace outside of a iranian dress-embroidering virtual fleamarket
>>
attempt to monetize chan users
>>
File: HANG.jpg (3KB, 126x126px) Image search: [Google]
HANG.jpg
3KB, 126x126px
twitter with like buttons
>>
Another centralized service is not the answer to free speech issues online.
>>
>300 character limit
>le upboat/downboat

Literally twitter and reddit combined, who thought it was a good idea?

It's already dead.
>>
>>56395534
>twitter and reddit combined
That combination sounds like a cash cow to me
>>
File: boopnet.png (58KB, 1182x800px)
boopnet.png
58KB, 1182x800px
This is the only true free speech website on the clearnet.
>>
like >>56395437
said, it exists just to cash into the alt-right and le anti-sjw crowds.
>>
GNOME dev here. Can't say I agree with "beats all other GUI efforts in all of computing" - I still think webOS beats us in usability, and if it weren't for how far it fell, I wouldn't mind doing a mobile version of the DE :-D I'm glad people like GNOME, though - it may seem organized on the outside, but internally it plays out more like a fan project or something.

More to the point, however, I feel there's a bit of truth to this post. There's no real reason to use Linux other than "you like it" - sure, there are good aspects to it, but when it comes to OSes, there's no reason to use one over the other. We promote FOSS development because we believe in the philosophies behind it; however, imo it shouldn't be a dealbreaker when talking about software. I got to meet RMS a few years back, and while I appreciate his enthusiasm, I don't agree with him on this point.

HOWEVER, if there is a reason to use Linux, it's the headerbar concept. If you're not familiar with this, its a combined titlebar and menubar that GNOME uses on most of its core apps. It saves space for the actual content of the app to use and forces devs to focus on the core important pieces of their application when designing an interface. It's been copied in so many other OSes, but I feel only Linux users get the true, primal headerbar experience.

There's a user on DeviantArt I follow who does nothing but headerbar concept art, and I can say with certainty it truly shows the power of this amazing technology and its impact on society as a whole. We can do a lot with headerbars, and if we use them correctly, they can do a lot for us. too.

Why, my disabled wife wouldn't be able to use the computer to post her fanart if it wasn't for the simplified design of the GNOME Web browser, Epiphany. She's always found Chrome and Firefox's interfaces to be too unyieldy to use as a onehanded woman.

I hope I've done some good here, and please try GNOME!
>>
>>56395555
Checked.

But my point still stands. Nothing will ever change unless it's marginally better than facebook/twitter.

The only way to rack up users would be to cater to them after facebook and twitter do a huge fuckup. It's dead.
>>
For all the social networking platforms out there, how many of them actually are relevant? Making a social networking platform is like making a MMORPG tbqh: a fun programming project but almost guaranteed to be DOA as a product.
>>
File: 1456680652989.png (49KB, 600x600px)
1456680652989.png
49KB, 600x600px
>>56395534
>>56395555
>>
I've been using it for a couple weeks on and off. Right now the only thing it has going for it is that it's small and everybody knows everybody. It's not amazing but I think it's worth trying for now to see where it goes.
>>
Nice honeypot CIA
>>
twitter and everything like it needs to be erased and the users put into work camps.

it is possibly the worst thing to ever happen to the internet.
>>
>We aren’t out to build an echo-chamber
>has upboats
Ratings are what made Reddit into an echo-chamber in the first place.
>other articles on the site
So it's basically Gawker for alt-right retards rather than SJW retards?
>>
>>56395338
>implying this will ever get popular
>>
>>56395953
>35k people have signed up for the beta
>>
>waiting list
It's like a less likely to succeed Google+
>>
>>56396050
Its in beta you stupid fuck
>>
>>56396317
Google+ was in beta forever like Gmail too. Invite only like OnePlus
>>
Pick GNUsocial instead. Gab is just another centralized service
>>
i hope it succeeds. twitter is crashing, free speech is crashing. the time is ripe for something to replace twitter like facebook replaced myspace and like reddit replaced digg.
>>
>>56395898
twitter has upboats too, its called the like and retweet buttons. thats how they organize what is important or not on your feed.
>>
>>56396492
Where in my post did I defend Twitter? Same garbage.
>>
Twitter = the next MySpace
>>
it'll likely go the same path as Voat, 'extremist' (hi nsa) community using the platform as a statement.
>>
>>56396317
My point still stands, you stupid fuck.
>>
I have a twitter bot that retweets people and they think I'm human. I check back from time to time and they have little conversations with me and my retweets

Sometimes I sense awkwardness because they think I'm giving them attention but it's just the bot

I hope twitter dies tbqh
>>
If I wanted to use something like Twitter I'd use Twitter
>>
>>56395338
I'd rather have a facebook alternative
https://www.minds.com/blog/featured
>>
>>56396810
You made no argument stupid fuck. You just made a statement.
>>
>>56395338
I'm willing to give it a try. If I like it I'll throw money at it. When is this becoming a reality, or where do I get the app? I'm not reading all that.
>>
I won't use until android app
>>
>>56397152
It's in the beta stage right now. It doesn't have an app yet but you can sign up at gab.ai to be put on the waiting list.
I'm still waiting but I hear it only takes a week or so for them to send the invite.
>>
It's basically the same thing as Twitter. Unless you REALLY care about the free speech on that specific site what's really the point?
>>
>>56397281
>300 character limit instead of 140
>upvotes and downvotes
>>
>>56397300
Reddit will suit your needs, plus no character limit.
>>
>>56395338

Self hosting a static microblog page is literally the easiest thing you can do.
>>
>>56395570
>Flips 'b'
Heh. Poopnet.
>Undo
>Flip 'p'
Heh. Boobnet.
>>
>>56395570
This site is shit. I still visit it almost every day. All hail boop, our god king!

-Ich
>>
File: 1112267722.png (11KB, 332x106px) Image search: [Google]
1112267722.png
11KB, 332x106px
Just a reminder that this guy is the CEO of Gab.ai. If you plan to use Gab, I take it that privacy is not a major concern to you.
>>
>>56397954
>>
I'd rather use Diaspora, since a decentralized social network is pretty much the best for free speech.

It also got a new posting interface so new users don't have to learn the markup, which is cool.
>>
>>56395338
>social networks

normies leave
>>
>>56395338

Giving people the ability to vote on speech is not free speech. It'll turn into a reddit shit hole where anybody who does not agree with the leftist agenda will be muted.
>>
>>56397954
>publicly posting information on a site that exists for the explicit purpose of spreading that information freely
>WOAH GUYS YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE ANY PRIVACY HERE!

How are you this motherfucking stupid?
>>
File: gablist.jpg (34KB, 462x507px) Image search: [Google]
gablist.jpg
34KB, 462x507px
>>56395338
here I go NSA
>>
>>56396472
As someone said above, another centralised sjw platform is not going to be the savour of free speech.
>>
Shit logo, shit name, no ones gonna use this piece of shit
>>
There's some alternatives opening right now because of what google/twitter/facebook are doing, but the truth is they won't get popularity unless they provide better features, and that doesn't mean being able to post shit you couldn't get away with because, as we all know, plenty of normal people willing to give their lives to social networks will also silence themselves and act like it's ok.

The only way to fix the issue is to educate the masses in this issue, and there are movements trying to counter that, specially those that believe in the existence of hate speech and promote safe spaces.
>>
>>56400920
Why didn't you make the logo?
>>
>centralised platforms

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

lmaoing at your life rn
>>
why do free alternatives have shit names or logos most of the time?
>>
File: 1454853632784.jpg (24KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
1454853632784.jpg
24KB, 300x400px
>allowing hate speech
>>
>open link in new tab
>see salman rushdie quote
>Ctrl+W
>>
Use gnu social silly
>>
>>56396604
>Pinterest higher than Twitter
Does that mean middle aged white women use the internet more than black teens?
>>
>>56395338
it's just gonna be like voat, populated solely by gamer-gate-manbabys with every post being about jews/niggers/women
>>
Yes, finally the alt-right gets the safespace they so crave
>>
>>56395338
Can't wait for GitHub to get hold of it.
>>
>>56402795
It's more of an anti-safe space
>>
>>56402858
A circlejerk is a safe space.
>>
>>56395589

I'm just going to ask an unrelated question.

What interested you in being a GNOME dev?

The codebase is far, far larger and more complex than many popular applications like nginx, but you get nowhere near the appreciation.

Meanwhile, you get people forking distributions just to replace a DE.

I'm not knocking you, I'm admiring how you manage to devote time to a project like that.
>>
gtfo
>>
>>56395338
The front page contains nothing but their name, a singup/register button, and an edgy quote in a silly font in all black and white

doesn't even have a link to a privacy policy

It's made by art majors and everything about it will be garbage

>>56402781
found the butthurt bluepill obese faggot
>>
>>56395338
>freedom
>no source
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.