[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are single slot GPUs ever coming back?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: card1.jpg (70KB, 512x560px) Image search: [Google]
card1.jpg
70KB, 512x560px
Are single slot GPUs ever coming back?
>>
Did they ever leave
>>
>>56391470
No, why the fuck would you want those shitty coolers back?
>>
>>56391470
Only way they will come back is if there is a massive breakthrough in the ability to cool gpus.

Odds are no.
>>
>>56391470
Not as long as /g/ calls company X as BANKRUPT/BTFO/ON SUICIDE WATCH because they perform 5fps worse in the currently most famous console port PC game.
>>
>>56391519
But those gpus had a much bigger process node and were geting much more hot than today's gpu's.
>>
>>56391470
Given the trend of decreasing TDP and power consumption I'd say yes. Unless the market decides to go another direction which is also possible.

Sidenote, you don't see triple slot cards anymore, though that may be because of more prevalent water cooling so IDK.
>>
Yeah when dvi dies.
>>
>>56391644
what does DVI have to do with it?
>>
File: amd-firepro-w7100-front.png (96KB, 360x269px) Image search: [Google]
amd-firepro-w7100-front.png
96KB, 360x269px
They are still here.
>>
File: 1466100759513.jpg (21KB, 480x471px) Image search: [Google]
1466100759513.jpg
21KB, 480x471px
>>56391554
>and were geting much more hot than today's gpu's
prove it, and afterwards hang yourself as an excuse for that grammar
>>
>>56391718
My melanin saturated person
>>
>>56391564
In the vast majority of cases a 2-slot cooler isn't any sort of issue or disadvantage on modern motherboards and in modern cases (even tiny ITX ones), so at least for high-end cards I don't really see single slot coolers becoming a thing. They would serve very little practical advantage, more cooling is always better and at the very least it can mean a quieter card while maintaining the same temps.

It would be nice to have some single-slot options though, for HTPC purposes and such.
>>
>>56391470
Yes
Stacked memory will allow for near 50% pcb reduction

But the cooling will suffer and its pretty obvious that GPU cooling needs improving since every new chip is expected to hit 70-90c before throttling.
>>
>>56392384
>and its pretty obvious that GPU cooling needs improving since every new chip is expected to hit 70-90c before throttling
CPUs hit the same temp, even higher, before throttling. Why do you think those temperatures are some special problem?
>>
>>56391718
>FirePro
>FireStream

Im glad AMD knows what makes them so awful.
>>
>>56392970
Everyone here is obsessed with things being colder than the have to be like it matters until you hit temperatures above TJMax.
>>56393042
FirePro cards are pretty good.
>>
>>56391470
They are already available. Just buy a waterblock.
>>
>>56391470

>Can stick a 1060 and 1070 in a Razer Blade
>Somehow can't fit the necessary cooling onto a single slot card for desktop
>>
>>56391554
Look at the picture in OP again.

Do you see a 6pin PCI-e power connector?
Do you see an 8pin PCI-e power connector

Hell do you even see an Molex connector on there?

No?

That's because the card doesn't require external power and therefore cannot draw more than 75watts.
>>
>>56393173
But old cards converted the power to more heet instead of preformance
>>
>>56393084
Probably because people don't want to buy new CPUs every 2 years because of electromigration, faggot.

Wait who am I kidding, this is /g/ - you're shilling for free.
>>
>>56393211
>I am an idiot, please give me a reply

Here is your reply.
>>
>>56393224
If that were the case, then the maximum temperatures would be lower than they are.
>>
>>56393255
Cool beans.

>10c has been depoisted into your account
>>
>>56393283
Ok retard.
>>
>>56393224
>I get physically violent if someone removes the plastic film from a new device I've bought
>>
>>56394423
Why would you be touching someone else's device anon?

Can you not keep your busy little fingers to yourself?
>>
>>56391685
DVI is usually above the DP/HDMI
So you can't put a single slot bracket on the card.
>>
>>56391470
yes, the obsession with "muh low power" and "muh thinness" means that, instead of making more powerful GPUs which use the same cooling, AMD and Nvidia will make GPUs that are only slightly better performing yet produce less heat
>>
>>56394573
maybe the device is owned by the kind of lazy person to leave the plastic film on for years until it gets all cloudy and loses stickiness around the edges
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.