[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gentoo shilling thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: NI2RbPe.jpg.png (386KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
NI2RbPe.jpg.png
386KB, 1440x900px
Hello /g/. Nowadays, gentoo is considered a meme distro simply because it's infamous for its difficult install. Today, I'm going to end this meme, I will prove to you that Gentoo is actually the best linux distro, and that anyone who isn't using it is missing out.

So list all of your complaints about Gentoo and I will retort.

I'll start off with some easy ones that I know you're going to complain about

>spending 24 hours to install a linux distro
while I admit that this is a major drawback, there is a solution to this.
Calculate Linux is a gentoo-based distro that still uses the Gentoo repositories, but just has some preconfigured bloat, which can easily be removed.
It still uses the Gentoo repositories, so it's pretty much just Gentoo with an installer and an update manager. Check it out on DistroWatch.

>needing to compile everything
this again is fixed by Calculate Linux. Calculate takes advantage of portage binhosts by having one set up for you by the time you install. Binhosts are basically the Gentoo version of binary repositories. you can see more information on this at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Binary_package_guide

>gentoo is not as stable as debian / as cutting-edge as arch or fedora
this is a misconception that I see everywhere, and it really annoys me. Some person who's never used Gentoo makes somes presumption about how rolling release Gentoo is, just based on everything else. Most people even liken it to Arch on the level of timesink and rolling release!!! This is seriously false and needs to stop.

The way Gentoo handles versions is actually one of its primary redeeming features. This is difficult for me to explain in a mere 4chan post, so simply take a look at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Portage/Branches. It is a really short read, I imagine it has fewer characters than this entire post. But it explains Gentoo releases perfectly.

Alright. Now bitch away!
>>
Okay, I guess I pretty much answered everything you guys would have thought to ask.

Will you install gentoo now?
>>
>>56390202
I may install it later on, but trying to shill Calculate instead of normal gentoo installation is like trying to convince people to install Antergos than the normal Arch routine, because you don't have to do some "difficult and time-consuming task"
>>
>>56390606
But Calculate is literally just gentoo, it uses their repos and everything. It just doesn't have insane defaults
>>
>>56390632
>But Calculate is literally just gentoo
Keep telling yourself that, retard.
>>
>>major problems with gentoo
>just use this gentoo-based distro instead!
Well, I've heard ChromeOS isn't too hard...
>>
>>56390665
I think you're the retard here.
I'll bite, what makes Calculate NOT Gentoo?
>>
>>56390726
>I'll bite

I wont.
Goodbye.
>>
>Calculate Linux
>Recommending the Mangina of Gentoos
install gentoo or fuck off
>>
>>56390868
BLOWN
THE
FUCK
OUT
>>
>>56390087
Get off my arch linux vista
>>
>>56390879
so how else am I supposed to convince people to install gentoo who don't want to spend hours compiling and setting up portage?
>>
>>56390880
>>56390868
samefag
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.