[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /g/s opinion on Atom?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

What's /g/s opinion on Atom?
>>
Slow as molasses
>>
sublime text is better in literally every feature
>>
>>56389303
Atom is terrible.
If you can't afford a license of better tools at least use the free as in freedom ones that are way better in both performance and functionality.

Atom is everything that's wrong with the industry nowadays.
>Let's make a text editor based on a web browser guise.
>>
Visual studio code is better
>>
>>56389303

It's effective and full-featured with productive defaults and lots of plugins. As long as you have a decent computer you shouldn't notice much slowness really. I moved to it from [spoiler]emacs[/spoiler] because getting multiple cursors set up was easy instead of less than easy

I do miss things though.
>>
>>56389303
>>56389414
If you want this, use Electron since its what both Atom and VS Code etc are based off of. However, you _should_ just use Notepad2 and call it a day.
>>
i've been using it to learn c++ on osx and i have zero complaints
>>
>>56389303
it's great (but I have i7 CPU, so I dont know about people who code on netbooks)
>>
>>56389321
I DON'T KNOW WHY PEOPLE SAY THIS.
It starts way quicker than visual studio does and I've never seen it lag or have any kind of trouble at all.
I think people just like to say this cos it's the only response they've been trained to say when someone mentions atom.
It's actually pretty quick to start up and run.
>>
>>56389619
well, I did try to run it in linux VM and it was buggy and slow as fuck...

but on the host system (OS X) it was smooth. maybe its linux issue
>>
Connects to Google analytics by default without ever telling you
>>
File: 1472568481884.jpg (81KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1472568481884.jpg
81KB, 600x450px
>>56389303
It isn't Vim or Emacs, so it's shit.
>>
>>56389662
not anymore (and you could have always disabled it), but now they even put it under core settings so nobody misses it
>>
File: 4chan_on_editors_acme.png (102KB, 1601x867px) Image search: [Google]
4chan_on_editors_acme.png
102KB, 1601x867px
Tried it again the other day. Took 5 seconds to start, used up 300MB of *resident memory* without any open files.

It's astonishing that anyone is using such a massive piece of garbage.
>>
>>56389619
Sure compared to visual studio its fast, but compared to sublime/vim/nano it's slow.
>>
>>56389619
Visual Studio is a complete IDE with smart autocompletion, integrated documentation access, a debugger, compiler integration, project management, etc... being faster than VS with a fraction of the features is the minimum you can do.
>>
>>56389303
I fail to understand why it exists. I use Emacs but Atom so slow I'd rather use Sublime if forced to abandon Emacs.
>>
>>56389303

>java

Just eat all my RAM, bro.
>>
>>56390192
It's not java, it's javascript running on top of a full browser, rendering everything with HTML and CSS. Java is nimble in comparison.
>>
>>56389668
>t. autistic manchild
>>
File: 1466039931200-g.jpg (34KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
1466039931200-g.jpg
34KB, 375x375px
>>56389619
>his baseline speed is visual studio
Found the problem
>>
>>56389303
Useful
>>
>>56390261
>t. fad chasing retard
>>
>>56390038
Because no one that actually likes to get work done cares about 300MB of memory.
People don't open software and run a task monitor to see what exactly it uses and they don't care about more lightweight alternatives if they don't do the same thing as easily.

That being said, I did switch back from atom to sublime, since it just felt better writing code on something that doesn't have constant input lag with every key press. It's not terrible but it's noticeable enough that it makes everything feel a bit weird.
>>
>>56390277
It's 2009 compiz all over again
>>
>>56390298
Let me rephrase that:
>I hate everything that actually works out of the box because I'm too autistic to use the same thing normies do, because I'm a special snowflake and I need something that's hard to learn and doesn't increase my productivity at all so I can feel special enough to not kill myself every day
>>
>>56390268
>>56390157
>>56390083
>>56389647
Listen faggots, on my reasonably powered dual core laptop it starts up in under 2 seconds. That's perfectly adequate. How fast do you want it to start? Do you really care if it takes 1 second less to start? How many times are you restarting your text editor? What kind of retard are you?
>>
>>56390217

Bahah, wow.
>>
>>56390277
Jfc, is this real life?
>>
>>56390358
This so much. I mean I'm a happy vim user when I remote into a server but why the fuck would you use that shite voluntarily when you have modern options I just can't fathom past children trying to impress each other.
>>
>>56390359
I'm just saying it's slow, not that you shouldn't use it.

In fact I'm using it because it's got a really good plugin for the language I'm currently using (elm).
However I also use sublime sometimes for other things, because it's much faster.
I also use nano and sometimes vim in the console.
I also use android studio for android and visual studio for UE4.

The only idiots here are the ones that bitch for some tool.
>>
>>56390412
Like the vim and emacs user?
>>
>>56390430
never tried emacs, but I'm sure it's good
>>
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it's not a Linux issue unless you don't have a compositor. Sucked ASS in i3/arch until I threw compton at it
>>
Can it open >2mb files yet?
>>
>>56390358
>>56390405
Because it's always available.
Because it already works well.
Because it's simple.
>>
>>56389619
>It's actually pretty quick to hang immediately after opening a large file.

Fix'd
>>
>>56389303
Tried it once. Felt inexcusably sluggish with a small-ish project and its language support was neither broad nor deep enough.

It's probably improved since then, but Visual Studio Code does everything I need and somehow feels much faster despite running on the same application framework (pretty sure it's a completely different codebase otherwise).
>>
File: Selection_016.png (9KB, 404x128px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_016.png
9KB, 404x128px
>>56389303
I swear I tried it
>>
>>56393038
You can install apple via Pacman now?
I always installed it from the AUR.
Also, atom is the only viable option for a good code editor on linux, sublime text has issues with scrolling in every build ive used it on so far, and visual studio code sucks balls.
>>
>>56389619
Every time i try crtl + A to select all or drag with a mouse a large minified file it lags out.
>>
never really tried it

I can do vim-like bindings right? I could definitely see how it would be more convenient than hacking vim itself into a quasi-IDE
>>
>>56393126
>I can do vim-like bindings right?
yes, you can create your own vim like bindnings too (for example this dude created plugin which ads vim like shortcuts whilst navigating the tree-view)

https://atom.io/packages/nerd-treeview

atom is the most customization/supported editor
>>
>>56393172
**adds

also, you'll never get modern ui in vim (with popups for example)
>>
I like it, but I prefer notepad++

In Atom it seems like less stuff fits on the screen.
Plus I prefer the themes in Notepad++.
And the search and search and replace functions in Notepad++ are better. For the rest it seems fine.
>>
I use notepad++ :~)
>>
>>56393093
>, atom is the only viable option for a good code editor on linux, sublime text has issues with scrolling in every build ive used it on so far

Umm what! I have use sublime text on multiple screens and as a production code editor. This issue you have is retarded. Fix it before I fix you.
>No one says sublime text has bugs.
>>
>>56389303
utter shite

cant fathom why github is trying so hard to make it happen. its forcing shit through a strainer: even if you succeed you're dumb as fuck
>>
>>56393333
nice digits, shit comment.. the node editor from github is way better than the one from micorosoft or Adobe and has way more extensions
>>
>>56393369
>the node editor from github is way better than the one from micorosoft or Adobe

could you shill a bit harder?
>>
emacs isn't autistic

prove me wrong
>>
>>56389303
Slow garbage.

Brackets, VSCode, and Sublime are all better.
>>
>>56389303
I think there are better Web Browsers out there.
>>
>>56390277
I downloaded this, you can disable the shake and only have pretty particles fly around
>not unironically using it
>>
>>56393408
I'm just shilling things I use family, and I tried Brackets and VScode too.. worthless shit compoared to atom
>>
>>56390320
Picking a tool hundreds of times less efficient than other equivalent tools doesn't seem like the choice of one that "likes to get work done".
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.