[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Flatpacks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

Redpill me on flatpacks /g/.

Is it the new era of bundled .exe* in linux? Will it kill the distro war once and for all?

http://flatpak.org/
>>
>talking about actual technology on /g/
you retard m8
>>
>>56387062
Do whatever you want, I'll still compile all my shit.
>>
Yes. Just like snibeti snaps or docker.
>>
File: app app app app app app app app.png (51KB, 1536x629px) Image search: [Google]
app app app app app app app app.png
51KB, 1536x629px
>>56387062
into the trash it goes
>>
>>56387062
>It means that apps no longer have to be updated to keep pace
yay no more updates!
>>
>>56387266
>>
I already came up with this idea ages ago when I implemented a loader for OSX-like app containers for linux.
>>
>>56387292
There was Gobi Linux, which packaged every program like .app in OS X.
>>
>>56387307
*GoboLinux
>>
>>56387266
Please evolve oldfag!
>>
>there are x competing standards
>why don't we create a universal one?
>there are now x+1 competing standarts
>>
>>56387409
>calling everything app is evolution
kys macfag
>>
File: 182478.jpg (36KB, 335x233px)
182478.jpg
36KB, 335x233px
The only way Linux can compete on the desktop at all is to admit that the Windows packaging way was right all this time.
>>
>>56387062
Nigger if you want something to not need external libraries you can just compile it statically into a huge elf file
>>
>>56387062
>Redpill me on flatpacks /g/.
Okay. Linux will never have unified binaries. Happy?
>>
>>56387062
I think the only way this would work is if you could add it along side standard compilers.

Example: I could roll my own compile of apache and then install a bunch of flatpacks for modules running on it (wordpress.flat, etc).

The problem here is that now I have to maintain libs for the compiler in their traditional locations AND I possibly have other libs that are boxed up with the .flat. IF I have a security issue with old libs (ie heartbleed), how do I make sure that I'm updating the libs in the flatpack without breaking it? I can do that easily using standard compiler or even apt.
>>
Bring back a.out.
>>
>>56387292
Well I guess they should just stop right now.
>>
Snaps are the way to go.
>>
>>56387062
>All this bs to bundle SHARED OBJECTS
>Not just using static compilation.
>>
>>56388139
>>56387497
These
Static compilation has always been a thing and so has sandboxing software
>>
Flatpacks are the ultimate way of distributing furniture. Made popular by IKEA in 50s.

http://inter.ikea.com/en/about-us/milestones/
>>
>>56387409
Devolve*
>>
>>56387307
No... GoboLinux was nothing like that.

Flatpack wants to bundle everything (application, libraries, kitchen sink) inside a sandboxed environment; GoboLinux reworked the directory hierarchy into something more flexible to allow people to install stuff where they want and keep more than one version of the same program.
>>
All of this could end if we just used static linking, you know.
>>
you can't use static linking with LGPL libraries, you know
>>
File: bird-shit-in-hair.jpg (14KB, 342x358px) Image search: [Google]
bird-shit-in-hair.jpg
14KB, 342x358px
>>56389749

So the GPL ruins things once more? Great!
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.