[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

new rig

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1461045388499.jpg (31KB, 500x269px) Image search: [Google]
1461045388499.jpg
31KB, 500x269px
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=37922808

Are these parts all compatible/how can I ensure everything is going to work together?
>>
ok:
first of all, use PCpartpicker

second, that case is wayy too edgy. tone it down a bit

if you're gonna be spending that much money, get something better than a 960 if you're gaming
that power supply is trash
you don't need M.2 with a build of that price
you don't need a seperate sound card unless you have legit surround sound. if you want quality, get an external DAC/AMP (and headphones to match)
you don't need a seperate ethernet card, that's retarded and in no way will be the bottleneck
AIO liquid cooling is shit unless it's a H100i or something, but that's expensive. If you want liquid, go full loop. If you want good cooling, get a good air cooler. I'll post a better build in a sec.
>>
>>56385502
I'll be honest, I'm ashamed to admit it but I'm a student software engineer who is only just now breaking into hardware, and I'm trying to build a computer that's well-rounded enough for gaming as well as high end programming (non-visual, primarily), that will be relevant for the next ~5 years.

I'll try to respond as informatively as I can, but forgive my lack of insight.

First off, I totally guessed on the graphics card (just compared a few models, chose what "seemed" the best for the price)

Secondly, I don't understand what you mean by M.2 being unnecessary for a build "of that price", why is it overkill, what cheaper/more effective alternatives should I look into?

The sound card, I can 100% see where you're coming from and hindsight agree it's stupid.

It was my understanding the a NIC is what enabled Wi-Fi capability (not that I'm planning to use it at home, but if I travel with it then it may become useful [$8])

Liquid cooling, I can see where you're coming from. If you're gonna use it, go all out, understood.

Lastly, with the case, I wanted something that would fit all my components and have good airflow, at a reasonable price. Looks are less important, as long as it's not shaped like a giant pink dildo basically.

I appreciate your feedback, and would really love to learn why you have the stance you do on my part choices.
>>
>>56385502
Oh, and why is the power supply trash? I can't see a reason that it's not good, but again I'm not well-informed.
>>
>>56385603
>>56385582

That makes more sense. Nothing wrong with not knowing what you're doing, just always good to do some research.

Here's what I'd do:
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/WDkrD8

Let's walk through your points first.
> Secondly, I don't understand what you mean by M.2 being unnecessary for a build "of that price", why is it overkill, what cheaper/more effective alternatives should I look into?
The problem with M.2 is that it's kinda overpriced. Sure, it performs better in theory, but non-NVME SSDs (usually cheaper ones) will have equal perf between M.2 and SATA3. It's not worth paying that much for the extra speed unless you're spending a LOT on a computer

> First off, I totally guessed on the graphics card (just compared a few models, chose what "seemed" the best for the price)
The GTX 960 is last generation. Holds up fairly in games, but Nvidia has a history of gimping previous gen graphics cards through the means of driver upgrades. Generally shitty company, I don't like supporting them. Only plus to their GPUs is CUDA support and better Linux support.

> It was my understanding the a NIC is what enabled Wi-Fi capability (not that I'm planning to use it at home, but if I travel with it then it may become useful [$8])
No, you need something that's explicitly Wifi if you want wifi. That's just an extra ethernet port, generally useless unless you're running a datacenter. If you really need Wifi, get this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/G4H323/tp-link-wireless-network-card-tlwdn4800

> Lastly, with the case, I wanted something that would fit all my components and have good airflow, at a reasonable price. Looks are less important, as long as it's not shaped like a giant pink dildo basically.
Fair enough. With traveling, you might not want a full ATX case, probs a mid ATX or maybe MicroATX, but that would require a different mobo

(1/2)
>>
>>56385672
PSU is trash cause Silverstone is trash, and you don't need anywhere near that wattage.

Here's what I put together:
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/WDkrD8

Walking through it:
i5-6600k: You can OC it, all you need for gaming, fine for compiling. If you're not going to overclock, knock it down to a i5-6500, i5-6600, or up to a i7-6700 (will be good if you're compiling huge projects a lot, but really only then)
NH-D14: Noctua is god-tier in terms of cooling in general. If you're not going to overclock, or not going to spend hours overclocking as much as possible, drop it down to a Hyper 212 Evo

Z170-A: Good mobo, has M.2 so it's futureproof, etc. If you're not overclocking and going with any CPU that doesn't have 'k' at the end of it, go with http://pcpartpicker.com/product/Hxs8TW/asus-motherboard-b150progamingaura
(problem there is if you upgrade CPUs in the future to the same socket and want to overclock then, you'd have to buy a new mobo)

8GB RAM: Good enough, especially if you're gonna run Linux. You can always add more.

850 EVO: Good SSD for a good price, boot drive
1TB HDD: Storage drive

RX 480: Sapphire one is the best. RX 480 is a great card, outperforms the GTX 1060 at DX12 and Vulkan (next-gen gaming APIs) from what we've seen. The GTX 1060 might be a better idea if you want Linux support (AMD is a little shaky there ATM), and the GTX 1070 if you really want to game a lot. 480 and 1060 should manage anything you throw at it at 1080p, though.

200R: Doesn't look like a giant pink dildo

EVGA 750W: EVGA makes good PSUs, fully modular means that it's going to be easier to cable manage (can pick and choose what cables you connect to it)

29" Ultrawide: Not the best for gaming (you would have black bars if you play games that don't have 21:9 support), but phenomenal for productivity (like having 2 monitors in one). The monitor you chose was a 1080p 17" one. Problem there is the pixels are going to be more apparent.
>>
>>56385759
Other option for monitor is that you could do is go with a 2560x1440 monitor or a 1080p 144hz one for gaming

you could also get a Haswell Xeon build if you're wanting more cores for compiling and VMs, and/or go with a Micro-ATX build for portability, I'd be happy to recommend some parts for that if you want.
>>
>>56385502

Pc part picker is paid to never push amd hardware. When you ask the owner in irc if they're paid or not he simply kick bans you from the channel instead of answering.

The website is built to push certain brands. Not to help build a pc.
>>
>>56386055
Well, good to know on that point, but it doesn't change my buying priorities -- I know how shitty Intel and Nvidia are in terms of business practices, I'll be among the first ones to get a Zen CPU if it's not complete shit.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.