[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game Development

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (107KB, 788x829px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107KB, 788x829px
So I'm completely new to the game design world pretty much. I have a little experience with HTML and Graphic Design. I'm 18 and looking to become a game developer(perhaps indie) and I want to here some suggestions about where to start. I've checked out udemy and I'm wondering if C# is a good place to start. Please help! Pic unrelated
>>
>>56383969
install gentoo
>>
>>56383969
C# isn't an awful place to start. I'd definitely go with a language designed for OO either way. Java is probably better, but you could definitely knock up some simple games with WPF in C#.
>>
SpongeBob also couldn't lift a glass to drink out of, but could flip open Patrick's house as well as carry Pearl for a short amount of time.
>>
Learn Unity. There's plenty of tutorials. Just do it.
>>
>>56383969
Either go *Ugh* Java/python for the massive documentation or fool around in unity for massive c# dong
>>
>>56384052
>games
>WPF in C#
Just do yourself a favour and start with monogame instead.
>>
File: 1469073261724.jpg (27KB, 493x365px) Image search: [Google]
1469073261724.jpg
27KB, 493x365px
>>56383969
>>
>>56383969
Do c# and crosstrain for enterprise programming jobs, make your capital working corporate then quit your job and startup a game
>>
>>56383969
Unreal engine. Learn C++
>>
>>56383969
Facing the same issue here on where to start. I got my ideas set and written down myself a plan which i should follow in development, but im really leaning towards Lua or Java since they seem pretty easy to learn and i can understand them decently for a complete retard.
>>
>>56383969
>Gamedev
>C#
Nigga, you just went full retard. Learn C++, or better yet, start with C.
>>
>>56386376
I second this. You should sit down and learn C.

Don't listen to the retards spouting off engines. There is a reason video games are almost the same complete garbage.

Learn C or C++, learn to make shapes, geometry, etc.. Sit down and make clones of games (start small, work your way up) do NOT use guides, learn the logic yourself, find out how to deal with bugs, and finally... This is the one of the most important steps... Do not try to crowd fund the first game you put out.
>>
>>56383969
Do the SICP course which is available free from MIT OCW. Just search for "sicp course".

I'd also take a look, and I know I'm going to get it for this, at JavaScript. Since you have a background with HTML, it shouldn't be too hard to make a simple game. Some ideas could be Candy Box by aniwey for some decent design. Look at module programming in JavaScript, and take the tutorial on w3schools. I've found it to be pleasant so far, and I have a special focus on objects, because they are so versatile.

Pros of JavaScript: Runs nearly everywhere, as nearly every computer in the world has a web browser.
Good testing environment, just a decent code editor and a web browser.
Plenty of documentation out there if you get stuck.
In demand, jobwise.

Cons: You need to sift through good and bad design principals, as there is so much information. A good tip here is jslint for writing good code, though be warned that not everything you write will show up as clean.
Can be slow to execute if written wrong.
Might be less versatile then languages like C(depending on what you're developing for), and has a different object oriented syntax then Java for example.

Overall, ive found coding in JavaScript to be quite fun, especially when I learned about modules and objects.

It's a good idea to me to learn it, because it can make you very versatile.
>>
>>56386441
Also, as this poster said, don't just follow the tutorials. The reason I mentioned candy box is so that you can download the game and see how it works. That is the best way to learn, and its how I've made things work, by doing, not reading.

Dissect the game, after you do SICP.

SICP is for learning how to think like a programmer.
>>
>>56383969
You are in exactly the same shoes I was in not long ago.
Do gamemaker studio just to get you to grips with very basic videogame programming.
Then move on to unity and learn proper Javascript.
When you are familier with that & Unity Move on to C# because I get the feeling they are trying to phase out javascript.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.