[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /g/ I want to join. I don't think this will run gentoo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 20160902_144616.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160902_144616.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Hi /g/
I want to join.
I don't think this will run gentoo but what do I install? Might start with tiny Linux.
>>
File: 9front95.png (771KB, 810x597px) Image search: [Google]
9front95.png
771KB, 810x597px
9front
>>
Pretty much any distro will ruin on pretty much any hardware, unless it's super ancient (like before laptops were a thing, in which case Slackware). You should use LXDE as your desktop environment at first though, then try to move up to heavier if you need more functionality.
>>
>>56384105
That Thinkpad is Win95 ancient, it probably has around 32 mb of RAM, LXDE needs at least 128 mb to run acceptably
>>
>>56383480
Try an ancient debian version.
If you want something modern, you might be able to do a custom OpenWRT build with X11 and some graphical programs.
>>
>>56383480
DSL might work too
>>
>>56383480
get at least an t60/x60 if you want to be able to fiddle with it. you should be able to scavage one for under 50
>>
>>56384140
Put Windows 95 on that bad boy OP.
>>
>>56384218
tbqh this, along with software of the era
>>
OP here, sorry I thought I failed to upload this thread. Was browsing and spotted it. Its an intel pentium processor. Has a windows 95 sticker on the back. I'll get onto installing now. Think the RAM Is all good but the hdd is fucked. Its asking me to insert a floppy hopefully it boots from a disk.
>>
OP here again. HDD isn't showing up in BIOS.
Looked it up and its not sata. Don't know if I could fix this without a donar. I'll keep looking into this.
Would be cool to get it going.
>>
unless you're into collecting old tech, all you did was waste your money on that

there is no practical usage for that whatsoever, besides collecting
>>
>>56385065
There's SATA to PATA adaptors out there, you can even throw a SSD in there
iirc you should be able to use a plain CF card without problems, but you better check the Thinkwiki and ask >>>/g/retro
>>
>>56383480
plan 9
>>
Debian stable with i3?
>>
>>56383480
Pretty good 1997/1998 box, wouldn't bother with one of those toy Linuxes if you actually want to do something with it other than development.

I usually put Windows NT4 on those things, 95 is also an option of course if you really want games. IBM probably also provided OS/2 drivers for the system as well, and I think even OPENSTEP supports them if you're into something exotic.
>>
>>56384140
Why not use Openbox with tint2 with terminal applications. It can run smoothly.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.