[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hacker known as Guccifer sentenced to 52 months in prison

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8

File: gucci.png (1MB, 1022x750px) Image search: [Google]
gucci.png
1MB, 1022x750px
Amazing what this guy accomplished with almost zero Tech skils:

>Lehel had no particular computer expertise, but instead used patience and persistence to obtain private information. Lehel had "no fancy equipment, only a clunky NEC desktop and a Samsung cellphone, and no special skills beyond what he had picked up on the web." He used the simple technique of finding information about his victims online and then using this to guess the correct answers to security questions. At the time of his arrest in 2014, Lehel was an unemployed taxi driver.

>Lehel later hacked Colin Powell's website and accessed years' worth of his correspondence from another AOL account. The correspondence included personal financial information as well as e-mails to George Tenet, Richard Armitage, and John Negroponte. Through six months of trial and error, Lehel guessed the password of Romanian politician Corina Crețu and gained access to her correspondence with Powell.

>The hacker also targeted U.S. Senator Lisa Murkowski; a senior UN official; members of the Rockefeller family; former FBI and Secret Service agents, as well as the brother of Barbara Bush, CBS sportscaster Jim Nantz, and former Miss Maine Patricia Legere.

>March 2013, USA Today reported that Lehel had successfully hacked the e-mail account of Sidney Blumenthal, a former aide to former president Bill Clinton. He distributed private memos from Blumenthal to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton involving recent events in Libya, including the September 11, 2012 Benghazi attack.

>In May 2013, Lehel hacked into online accounts owned by two members of the Council on Foreign Relations, as well as accounts owned by Adam Posen and his wife and another owned by a former Federal Reserve Board official.
>>
A Romanian with an old NEC shitbox and no tech skills accomplished all this.

What did you accomplish with your Gentoos compiled with optimized clfags ?
>>
I like the storm trooper costumes transporting such a dangerous criminal.

That's an impressive list of "guesses" as well.
>>
Which one is Gufficer? Who is the other one?
>>
>>56379858
Are you dense?
>>
File: image.png (3MB, 1022x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
3MB, 1022x750px
>>56379895
No but your dense
>>
>>56379658

52 months isn't that bad considering he's probably going to a minimum security prison

Also good on him for hacking the right people. Probably a very smart guy
>>
>>56379966
What's his density to two sig figs, prof?
>>
>>56379682
gypsies are good at stealing mate, no can do.
>>
>>56379966
he clearly has professional hacker training
>>
File: WHO-IS-GUCCIFER.jpg (308KB, 954x537px) Image search: [Google]
WHO-IS-GUCCIFER.jpg
308KB, 954x537px
>>56379966
Scrub.
>>
>>56379682
he was just bored and social engineered the mail account
>>
>>56379682

I'm too autistic to socially engineer anyone.
>>
>>56379658
'Security Questions' are the biggest joke ever. Way less secure than a password. And possibly easy to answer by someone who knows you well (family member or stalker).
>>
>>56379682

I've got a CSV on my file that belongs to a doctor (I think he's swedish). A keypass file and the key that belongs to a guy named Billy Vandergraw

also scanned documents from some britbongs including passports along with various SSNs from Amerilards

It's a comfy hobby. I do it when I'm sad and cheer up.

-T. scannermonkey
>>
>>56379682
Lehel is not a Romanian name. He's probably Hungarian living in Romania. That would explain why he struggled with the Romanian language during an interview.
>>
>Hillary blatantly breaks the law and compromises national security due to her own ignorance
>some guy with no hacking knowledge discovers this info
>Hillary somehow avoids legal trouble
>the guy serves time in prison

I don't like Trump either, but the more that comes out, the more it seems like the Clintons were thugs all along.
>>
>52 months

4 and a half years of prison.

Fucking shit media faggots using months.
>>
>>56379658
>52 months
Lehel
>>
>>56379658
My nigga Gucci didn't even use NSA-Tor, what a madman
>>
So did he just guess stuff?
is that illegal?
>>
>>56380856
Of course it is, if they want it to be. One of the anonymous "hackers" was sentenced to jail for noticing at&t put user accounts in their urls, allowing him to go from one account to another just by changing the user number in the url. He basically changed the url from /user/XXX1 to /user/XXX2 and it was illegal to point that out.

there are no strong laws against hacking which for the government is good, because they can prosecute anyone within the gray area
>>
>>56380856
no, it is illegal to 'guess' the password with the intent of unauthorized access, which he did.

>>56380940
i am not familiar with that case, but it depends how he disclosed it.

and 95% of 'hacking' is recon, the last 5% is actual exploitation. and 5% is generous
>>
File: russian-hacker.jpg (43KB, 999x550px) Image search: [Google]
russian-hacker.jpg
43KB, 999x550px
>tfw we will never know the perfect hacker because he will be so discret nobody had ever detected him
>tfw he exist
>tfw he's maybe stealing from you right now
>>
>>56381282
must be using dos with his wireless keyboard/monitor
>>
>>56379658
Romanian here. A lot of us are stupid but we have an uncanny ability to be practical.
>>
>>56381282
>types like a 5yo bitch
>>
File: matrix_mouth.gif (862KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
matrix_mouth.gif
862KB, 500x200px
>>56381282
>tfw no one would even believe you
>>
>>56381282
Nah he's either on NSA's dole, on the chink's electronic Red Army or freezing to death in some GRU basement in Moscow.
These people get picked up quick by agencies when they try something illegal that's way too big for them.
>>
>>56381310
Lehel isn't ethnic Romanian tho, he lives in Transylvania.
>>
Wow, credit to him for chasing the right people and doing so much with nothing but a shitbox and extraordinary amounts of patience.
>>
Social engineer is the best hack.

Sure you can crack the password but hey they have a sticky note of their password on their computer.
>>
>>56379658
#FREEGUCCIFER
>>
>>56381533
Marsh ma date-n mm de ungur.
>>
>>56381416
>>56381353
>>56381322
>>56381282
>you'll never be competent enough to work for a 3 letter american agency

why live?
>>
I hate the overuse of the term "hack". He didn't bypass any security, he literally just brute forced his way in with patience and guess work.
>>
Did he do it for anything or just to see if he could
>>
>>56381748
Actually not only he didn't hack anything that's not even the correct term to use. Cracking would be more appropriate.
>>
File: 05 - zuIHTyk.png (898KB, 935x1094px) Image search: [Google]
05 - zuIHTyk.png
898KB, 935x1094px
He's a freedom fighter and political prisoner.
>>
>>56379682
I could have pwned a whole ccTLD
>>
>>56381022
It's the weev case, the only reason he was sentenced was that AT&T bought the jury and the judge
He didn't do any exploit or anything at all, it was public information when he found out
>>
>>56379966
>gufficer
You drunk idiot, you had one job
>>
>>56381748
>>56381775
In June 2000, while visiting Korea, I did a fun hack that clearly illustrates the original and true meaning of the word "hacker".

I went to lunch with some GNU fans, and was sitting down to eat some tteokpaekki (*), when a waitress set down six chopsticks right in front of me. It occurred to me that perhaps these were meant for three people, but it was more amusing to imagine that I was supposed to use all six. I did not know any way to do that, so I realized that if I could come up with a way, it would be a hack. I started thinking. After a few seconds I had an idea.

First I used my left hand to put three chopsticks into my right hand. That was not so hard, though I had to figure out where to put them so that I could control them individually. Then I used my right hand to put the other three chopsticks into my left hand. That was hard, since I had to keep the three chopsticks already in my right hand from falling out. After a couple of tries I got it done.

Then I had to figure out how to use the six chopsticks. That was harder. I did not manage well with the left hand, but I succeeded in manipulating all three in the right hand. After a couple of minutes of practice and adjustment, I managed to pick up a piece of food using three sticks converging on it from three different directions, and put it in my mouth.

It didn't become easy—for practical purposes, using two chopsticks is completely superior. But precisely because using three in one hand is hard and ordinarily never thought of, it has "hack value", as my lunch companions immediately recognized. Playfully doing something difficult, whether useful or not, that is hacking.
>>
File: 124235326.png (125KB, 298x256px) Image search: [Google]
124235326.png
125KB, 298x256px
>>56383990
>>
>6 months MANUALLY bruteforcing a password

Jesus christ, literally worse than being a paid human captcha bot
>>
>>56379966
Either /g/ really is mostly autists and didn't realise the first guy made a spelling mistake, or they're just like /v/ and think posting behind 30 layers of irony is funny and doesn't attract literal retards to the board.
>>
>>56384283
no, you space out the attempts to avoid detection you fucking dip
>>
>>56380365
I usually make the answers some giant password generated with Keepass like kErA":Dj`ndzi6_L#k)w</8OJ"KEgynBYssAm@l0Sn#.c.+LY2Gw^AcH1H}>Kb')Nh{/faeN<s?X/)qLeEWj`A<8bf18Z'++#lV1a.k?le9(a8'(&cQI2O#%},c<{>xx

If they let you make custom questions, I'll do the same with the questions
>>
What a fucking badass
>>
>when da cops think u a 1337 hacker, but all u did was guess all the passwords
>>
>>56380549
>4/12 = 1/2

You might actually be fucking retarded. It's 4 1/3.
>>
>>56379984
this. and I guess he thought "since I'm unemployed, prison wouldn't be that bad, so I'll commit some crime. might as well do some good to the world"
>>
>zero technical skills
>guesses passwords

Yeah, they got that right.
>>
>>56379658
Wait...
Collin Powell still uses AOL?
>>
>>56384811
You don't need any technical skills for that.

Mitnick was trash diving for passwords and he was right to do so. In 99% of cases it's easier to find a vulnerability irl, than to look for an exploit.
>>
>>56385002
What did you expect? The governments consist of old, dumb, technically illiterate people.
>>
>>56381282
He's not really discreet. He just doesn't use it for financial gain so nobody ever notices. No one ever believes him when he says not to use AES anymore.
>>
>>56379984
>52 months isn't that bad considering he's probably going to a minimum security prison
He will suffer a slight accident in jail, another to add to the clintons hit list.
>>
>>56379984
A barbell will fall on his neck while in prison.

RIP guccifer.
>>
>>56380409
That interview was Guccifer 2.0 and the reason they didn't do well in the interview was because they were Russian.
>>
>>56381282
Why do we never hear about corporate espionage hackers?
They seem to be well hidden and protected.
>>
>>56379658
>Amazing
You mean getting caught because he had no tech skills to know he had to hide his identity?

I guess it's okay to be stupid as long as you're still smarter than most.
>>
>>56381282
>>tfw he's maybe stealing from you right now
what?
pictures from my 4chin folder?

damn he mad
>>
And the really funny thing is here is despite his lack of technical skills, there are Russians and Chinese with far superior skills who have much more information who will never face punishment

Further, another lesson here is politicians are fucking literal retards and the only thing preventing massive leaks is people's unwillingness to go to jail. There is hardly any real protection when it comes to these people.
>>
>>56386847
My point is still valid. Lehel is not a romanian name
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.