[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long till HDDs disappear from the normie market?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1470866501954.png (182KB, 455x455px) Image search: [Google]
1470866501954.png
182KB, 455x455px
How long till HDDs disappear from the normie market?
>>
10-20 years
>>
>>56368577

never underestimate the cheapness of chink manufacturers like asus and lenovo. they're going to keep shoveling shit-tier HDDs into their $300 walmart machines for at least another 3 years. then they'll switch to shit-tier NAND flash storage
>>
>>56368613
Cheap laptops use eMMC or mPCIe already.
>>
Once all of the old white people who have 50 taskbars on nternet Explorer die off and people who are willing to learn things kill the prebuilt desktop market completely outside of businesses and schools.
>>
>>56368577
They won't any time soon, just like CDs. They'll remain a very cheap and large storage option. They'll still be sold in 50 years probably, but not too many people will buy them.
>>
>>56368577
HDDs will be around as long as they're cheaper than SSDs.

Until then SSDs are a luxury item no one really needs.
>>
>>56368691
256GB ssd is the same price as a 1TB hdd.

Not really luxury tier anymore, not having one is akin to using a monochrome monitor upgrade wise.
>>
>>56368642

The real small ones, true. the 15.6" ones still use HDDs though
>>
>>56368729
256GB is less than 1TB.
>>
>>56368757
Its got 5x the throughput though so technically you are getting 1.25TB in the same period of usage and is a better deal.

:^]
>>
>>56368729
It reminds me of the jump from 286 to 386. You could get a slower clocked 386 that ran those extra instructions that only a few programs actually took advantage of, or stick with a faster or similar clocked 286 which was already tried and true.

Fuck I'm old.
>>
I'll give it 5 years till eMMC takes over.
Even on desktops, shit like NUC's and chromeboxes will be all normies buy soon.
>>
>>56368783
Ebin
>>
>>56368757
But that 256GB will last much longer and is many times faster. Quality > quantity
>>
File: wew.png (294KB, 1633x581px) Image search: [Google]
wew.png
294KB, 1633x581px
>>56368815
I'm honestly surprised any stores still sell any desktop form factor above Mini PC.

After the 10 series Nvidia laptops come down in price there won't even be a reason to build gaming desktops.
>>
>>56368876

So that looks really interesting. Are brands like that very reputable?

I'm looking to build a mini PC for the living room to run old school emulators on and was originally consdering a NUC but the cost was too high.
>>
>>56368901
I think you only really need to worry about thermal throttling and the SSD shitting itself.

There are some video reviews of it on Gearbest.

In all honesty though I would rather get something from the lenovo outlet.
http://outlet.lenovo.com/outlet_us/desktops/?menu-id=desktops_&all-in-ones#facet-1=1,2,3,4

There is always shit on there in a small form factor for around 200 that is a better buy imo, even though its refurbished at least the warranty service is legit.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.