[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /g/ think of TypeScript?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: typescript1.jpg (15KB, 592x377px) Image search: [Google]
typescript1.jpg
15KB, 592x377px
What does /g/ think of TypeScript?
>>
>>56360969
A very popular game called PonyTown is made from it. So it's good in my watch.
>>
>>56360969
Just read about it. Think I will code something in it cuz it looks interessting
>>
As someone who finished his degree by using Typescript and Angular 2, it's completely fine. It's far easier to debug than JavaScript due to data types and compilation errors. You can minify it thanks to how it compiles to ECMAScript compliant JavaScript. Plus the overhead isn't large.

Now whether or not it is extremely useful is debatable. If you're good enough to write and debug JavaScript it isn't going to make your life that much easier. I guess it's useful for obfuscation and if you want to be lazy and just write scripts in your sleep. Just remember that the syntax is a little weird in the beginning, but once you get the hang of it, you'll write it in no time.
>>
>>56360969
It's fine. Better to debug than plain JavaScript, less of a pointless pain in the ass than "Compiles-to-JavaScript-but-isn't!" done by other languages, which makes the output a pain in the ass to debug.
>>
>>56360969
It's yet again MORE hipster bullshit that will add technical debt to projects.

It ALWAYS fucking happens.

1. Some shithead that shouldn't be making suggestions will suggest Typescript (used to suggest coffeescript)
2. Dumbass lead or director will agree because it's trendy
3. Horrible intern tier codebase will be created
4. Eventually team members will be promoted and will leave the company for greener pastures and spread their terrible fucking opinions there because "hey they are seniors"
5. New crew will be hired and will have to learn Typescript because useless nigger tier previous devs couldn't be bothered to learn prototype inheritance.

I have openly mocked Principle devs and Directors in interviews for suggesting shit like this.

The real problem is that Angular 2 is about to take a fat shit on the web and there will very, VERY few devs that are smart enough to avoid Typescript and just use good ol ECMA.
>>
>>56365815
What are you talking about, Typescript is trans-piled just like Coffeescript.
>>
>>56365934
Typescript is better than most other "JavaScript-But-Not-Javascript!" because it's literally just a superset of Javascript. Regular JS can still be used in it and will work fine. The output is pretty easy to work with too, much better than other languages because it tries to adhere to actual JS than they do.

>>56365965
TS is explicitly intended to be a superset of JS, not an out-and-out replacement. It's easy to learn if you know JS, and you can write regular JS in it, and the JS it compiles to is more readable than other generated JS languages. Probably because it's intended to be "JS with types" and not "a completely different language that happens to use JS as a back-end, so you can write JS without using JS at all!" (ClojureScript, Scala.js, etc.).
>>
>>56366020
TS is explicitly intended to add technical debt to projects.

It was literally dead until Angular 2 saved it.

We have been through this before with Coffeescript.
>>
>>56366342
uh, okay.
>>
File: Inigo-Montoya.jpg (26KB, 525x453px) Image search: [Google]
Inigo-Montoya.jpg
26KB, 525x453px
>>56366342
>>56365934
>technical debt
>>
Javascript and the web in general are just a big fucking giant pile of shit? What happened to the old days of good old desktop programs? Why do I need to open my browser to use a fucking calculator or check my email?
>>
>>56367371
It acts as a lowest common denominator.

>Why do I need to open my browser to use a fucking calculator
Now you're exaggerating.
>>
>>56367487
It's not. There are plenty of people trying to be "hip" and making calculators in javascript. Another example is my fucking bank. It only has a website, no separate program to manage my account. Retarded fucking shit like my router's admin panel too. How fucking hard would it be to just make a separate program instead of using javascript cancer? The web was supposed to be for static documents, not abused as a drop in replacement for real GUI frameworks.
>>
>>56367320
Using a language that has a short lifespan, requires time to learn, and is hard to hire for once a resource leaves is in fact, technical debt.
>>
>>56367544
>typescript
>requiring time to learn
Maybe if you're retarded.
>>
>>56367487
>wolfram|alpha
>>
Much better than javashit, still kind of javashitty
>>
>>56368040
>>56367543
You're seriously trying to convince me that your computer/tablet/smartphone/whatever-device DOESN'T come with its own calculator and forces you to use a web-based JavaScript calculator? Are you sure about that?
>>
>>56367544
>requires time to learn
I think you misread the part about "literal superset". All valid JS programs are already valid TS programs. If you already know JS, you know most of TS except for, you know, types. It's very easy to learn.

>hard to fire for
JS programmers are a dime-a-dozen and are not hard to hire for at all. No idea who convinced you of otherwise.
>>
>>56368539
That doesn't change the fact that there are people retarded enough to write calculators in javascript instead of using a proper GUI framework. The web is meant for STATIC documents.
>>
>>56368610
Okay, but then I have no idea what point you're trying to get angry about.
>Why do I need to open my browser to use a fucking calculator
>you don't
>YEAH BUT PEOPLE STILL WRITE CALCULATORS THAT CAN BE OPENED FROM A BROWSER SO HYPOTHETICALLY...
Don't get yourself worked up about it, just use whatever desktop program calculator you apparently already have and use instead of forcing yourself to use a web calculator.
>>
>>56368684
Ok, where's my desktop program to post on 4chan then?
>>
>>56368725
>needing a desktop program to post on a website instead of using a web-browser to browse the website
If you want apps shouldn't you be arguing about cell phones somewhere?
>>
>>56368747
Why is 4chan a website in the first place? Websites should serve static content.
>>
>>56368758
Why are you on the web? It's reserved for scientists.
>>
>>56368781
Because that's where 4chan is. If 4chan was a standalone program instead of a website then I wouldn't need to be on the web.
>>
>>56368758
It'll be a lot more static once you stop posting lad.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.