[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wifi siphon project

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: Hatsune3.png (650KB, 794x775px)
Hatsune3.png
650KB, 794x775px
Sup /g/

TL;DR
I'm in a staff lodge without wifi because previous tenants were morons. A lodge about 200 meters has unlimited wifi, how can I connect to it?

So I work in a hotel and I get to stay on-site in a shared house with some peeps, it's good and all but the only issue is that my 50GB of data that I got from a cellular network is fucking minuscule even for daily entertainment.

Approximately 200 meters (or less) away there are wifi networks of lodges that the hotel own. How can I siphon the internet from them?

Is this a dick move? 50/50, it's soon end of peak season so hardly anyone will be using it (the wifi) anyway AND another staff house HAS wifi so they're just being dicks to us in particular for reasons I'm not involved in (previous tenants, even. Not the ones currently in)
>>
>>56351049
Why are anime fags so stupid?
You couldn't even post 3d but you want our help?

/g/ is not your personal tech support or anime dump.
>>
>>56351066
>goes to catalog
>sees 1 3D
>sees 8+ anime

Sorry if I went mainstream in picking what seemed more popular. I don't intend to use /g/ as a tech support but I think it's a cool little project I'd like to do!
>>
>>56351097
>I have an idea
>I have not done any research on it
>Let's ask /g/
>Not tech support
>>
>>56351493
>implying I didn't

If I could've figured it out myself think I'd have asked? My networking knowledge is rusty since its been a while since I've done anything even similar to this.
>>
>>56351049
Ask them if you can use it?
>>
>>56351576
The CTO is a pretty chill dude so he wouldn't care much about that. It's more of the fact that I need a bridge or repeater.

Only issue is that it's mostly open area save for a few other shared houses along the way. Which is the problem he wouldn't be quite willing to get involved in which is what leaves me in my current predicament.
>>
>>56351049
>ask for a wifi hotspot
If get no hotsopt
>ask permission to use lodge network
If not get permission
>use lodge network anyways

Alternatively
>get better data plan
>share with other tenants
>make them pay for the data plan too

Can you see the networks? If not, you night want a better antenna. I'm sure you can access the passwords someow, being staff, but if you can't see if reaver can help.

Also, 2d is fine and who doesn't like it should fuck off
>>
>>56351725
We have to supply our own internet, so in the shared house we all have the highest package (50GB on EE), it's the best data plan I can get since I'm here on a temporary basis.

The 200 or so meters in primarily open area is the key issue between the shared house I'm in and the lodge.
>>
>>56351776
https://www.amazon.com/Ideaworks-Distance-USB-Powered-Antenna-72-6612/dp/B00BDE4IUK
Something like this might work.
First google result though, you might want to look around.
>not compatible with windows 10
>>
I'm assuming your issue is that you want to extend the signal to your own lodge? or do you need the password for the network?

if distance is the issue, unfortunately you'd need to buy something like a wifi antenna or a wifi extender. You're looking at about $30 plus shipping time
>>
>>56353130
This or if you or somebody have an old router laying around you can flash it with DD-WRT and use it as your wifi adapter and or as a repeater. Most routers have a repeater mode now but they often want a lot of details about the base router to connect, with DD-WRT on it you can connect to anything just by receiving the signal.
They get much better RX/TX than your average inbuilt wifi adapter and work good for things like this.
>>
>>56353199

oh damn this is cool. I'll have to keep this in mind for myself. I've got a few lying around
>>
>>56351804
No win10? Wait seriously? I'll post a question maybe someone has done it with win10 anyway. If it supports 8.1 I can probably use those drivers/software. I didn't quite consider it because I just genuinely don't know much about the subject so I appreciate the help!

>>56353130
I need to extend it to my own lodge. I know the password so that isn't the biggest issue.

>>56353199
I didn't bring any with me since I'm from another country, sounds like a good idea though!
>>
>>56351804
Same as >>56354814

What do you think about this? It 'claims' 3,000m away (I'd guess roughly half that in real-world and a bit less with rain etc)

I /think/ it may cover me but since this is to connect to my desktop, would I also need another usb antenna to connect to it?
>>
Alrighty, it seems like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Afoundry-Wireless-Weatherproof-Dual-polarized-Directional/dp/B01DP12RH4/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1472652272&sr=8-32&keywords=long+range+wifi+antenna

Will solve my issues. I'll get it since it's on sale and has ethernet ports (plus seems to have good range too). For anyone interested, should I make a follow up in the event that someone needs a strong wifi repeater/siphon etc?
>>
>>56351066
Miku is not anime.
>>
>>56355210
Let's not trigger him more, shall we?
>>
>>56351049
Get a good USB Wlan dongle with e.g. RP-SMA antenna connector. Then buy a fucking yagi ('high-gain yagi') antenna or so and mount it on a little tripod.
All you need to do then is to place the antenna somewhere like in the front of a window (unobstructed view to the hotspot) and point it to the direction of the hotspot.
>>
>>56355388
I've always wondered this, if you only have that antenna from your home pointed at the hotspot, does it work? Does the antenna just send and receive from that far away on a normal hotspot? Been considering building one of those homemade ones for fun but I didn't want a pair that had to be facing each other to work.
>>
File: tt7v.jpg (180KB, 1000x949px) Image search: [Google]
tt7v.jpg
180KB, 1000x949px
>>56351066
it's her birthday
>>
>>56355687
Well shit.
>>
>>56351049
Make yourself a directional antenna.
>>
>>56355388

I went for

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Afoundry-Wireless-Weatherproof-Dual-polarized-Directional/dp/B01DP12RH4/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1472652272&sr=8-32&keywords=long+range+wifi+antenna

Should I cancel it? My main concern is what I need has to be able to:
Penetrate foilage
Reach a minimum of 200 meters with good signal strenggth

I'm willing to drop a lil bit and not try to be a NEET over it. It's just that I'm fedup of watching videos in 360p (amongst other shit) and still hitting my datacap and thus, having to pay more each time.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.