[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

Distro Hopping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: manjaro_badge.png (18KB, 540x800px) Image search: [Google]
manjaro_badge.png
18KB, 540x800px
How do I stop my distro hopping?

I go from Ubuntu first (good beginner's OS, never had problems) to Mint (is okay. Personally I felt like it was a poo in loo distro) to Manjaro (Kinda like it) and now I feel like trying out another distro. I don't mind testing out distros on a VM but I've been swapping homes back and forth for a while now. Should I just force myself to stay with Manjaro?
>>
Why do you even use Linux faggot?
>>
>>56349058
What do you want from your pc? What do you want to use it for?
>>
>>56349096
A little bit of everything. I want to do schoolwork and program on it. It's a thinkpad T410.
>>
>>56349058
Just go along with your heart's content. You'll settle at whichever distro when you realize they're basically the same and freedom in Linux is also an illusion. It only offers opportunity for freedom, getting there takes a lot of effort. That's why everything for Linux ends up like hobby projects.
>>
>>56349058
>>56349107
Fedora TBQH
>>
The point of an OS is to run the programs you need to do shit. You don't actually need to do shit which is why you're able to convince yourself that trying out distros is worth your fucking time.
>>
File: 1394053069758.gif (1MB, 240x202px) Image search: [Google]
1394053069758.gif
1MB, 240x202px
>>56349058

>How do I stop my distro hopping?

By realising that a Linux distribution isn't anything more than a starting point to build the system you want. Start with something that'll dump you at a command line and then build the OS you want. Sink or swim.

> I've been swapping homes back and forth for a while now.

Your won't need to swap anything if you separate your home and system install onto separate partitions.

Pic related is all you're doing by constantly swapping distros
>>
File: image.png (29KB, 359x538px)
image.png
29KB, 359x538px
You will end at a distro. If you learn to use and like Gnome, you'll end up with Fedora. If KDE is more to your liking, OpenSuse will be your cup of tea.
>>
>>56349058
Simple
>You find a gf
>You get a job
>You start a hobby

In case you can't, try the alternative
>Install Debian Stable
>Realise that you can use old packages without ill side effects
>You enjoy rock solid stability and update every 2-3 years to the next stable
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.