[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

External GPU

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 10

File: maxresdefault.jpg (230KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
230KB, 1920x1080px
The whole external GPU setup is a good option for what I want.
The thing is I hate the way razer's logos and stuff look, but I do like how sturdy they are. Is there any way to get an unbranded Razer laptop? or is there another laptop I could use a core with that is less... awful looking. Could I use this with a thinkpad?
>>
alienware has a similar product and asus has something in prototype
>>
>>56341860
when do you think the Asus eGpu will release?
>>
>>56341832
You can use a thinkpad with expresscard port and get a gdc exp adapter for like 50 bucks.
You'll have to supply your own PSU and encasing though, but even then it'll be dramatically cheaper than whatever razer shits out.
>>
>>56341926
The nice thing about eGPU cases is that they also have USB ports in the back
>>
>>56341832
eGPUs have not, and never will be a thing. No matter how much shilling you get forced down your throat. It's a retarded concept.

>hurr durr see this portable thing? let's make it a stationary thing because muh games

If you're too poor to get a gaming laptop then you get a ducking desktop

>muh plays on the go

Get a fucking portable console/ipega or grow the fuck up.

HOLY SHIT.
>>
Works Really well,
i can play Dark Souls,Dying Light,Shadow of Mordor and Doom at 55~60fps don't get more fps because i use internal display and losses 20-30% performance. in external monitor i get 70~90fps all games in ultra settings. :)
>>
File: aaaaa.png (384KB, 1367x767px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaa.png
384KB, 1367x767px
>>56342471
>>
File: WP_20160818_004.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160818_004.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>56342488
in all images the camera looks like shit because i got robbed two weeks ago. Miss my HTC M8 :(
>>
>>56342387
I dont want a bulky laptop, you autistic freak
>>
>>56342488
Oh damn. Good shit.
Can someone explain to me why using the internal monitor will produce a loss, and an external monitor wouldn't?
>>
>>56342612
>I dont want a bulky laptop, you autistic freak
hur dur but going around with a 4kg(8pound) fucking giant case for an egpu is better TOP LEL you are retarded
>>
>>56344067
No one is going to bring the egpu around with them you absolute idiot. I need the laptop for school and work and when I come home I want the egpu to play games. I also don't want to have two different computers.
>>
>>56343928
it uses a HDMI - Mpci-e, to send data through the same way takes more time to respond, in opposite way through monitor goes out from the card directly it performs better. it goes to EXP GDC i don't know how razer,asus,alienware performs. (Sorry for the english and i'm the worst person explaining this).
>>
>>56342387
>eGPUs have not, and never will be a thing. No matter how much shilling you get forced down your throat. It's a retarded concept.
>take work laptop home
>plug in my USB dock
>suddenly my 3 monitors and all my peripherals are working with 1 cable
>it also charges it
>I can even USB boot from the SSD that I connected to one of the USB 3 ports on the dock
If I could add a high power GPU to that it would be fucking amazing.
>>
>>56342387
They seem sensible to me.

The only time I ever want to play games is when I'm at home. When I am out I typically need to do work or do basic web browsing. A gaming laptop would just add bulk and reduce battery life while having worse gaming performance when I need it to.

I could just get a desktop for fun at home and a laptop for work and travel, but an eGPU would save me from having to buy and maintain two systems. The shame is they are so expensive and experimental right now that the cost savings would almost even out.
>>
>>56342387
It actually solves a pretty big problem for those that need a good GPU for games or professional multimonitor work but want to have a single but portable device.

I don't have one but I see the appeal.
>>
>>56343928
I know why... but I don't know how to explain it.

Just trust us xD
>>
>>56344098
It's okay I kind of understood what you wrote. I'm about to get an EXP GDC as well.

>>56344067
It's better than carrying your entire desktop to a LAN party though no?
>>
>>56344089
get a desktop fucking retard and a good tablet for school if you don´t work on a laptop(like REAL WORK) get a good tablet you fucking underaged fucktard this board is for 18+
>>
>>56342387
You're a fucking retard.

The whole point is so that you can have a laptop, which has a perfectly fine processor, slap it down on your desk at home, and be able to play all the video games you want. The idea is not to buy a fucking laptop to use as a desktop you complete fucking tool.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>56344126
Where i live gaming pc/notebook are expensive as fuck so i decided to make an eGPU just to play whenever i want, its been useful. when i go to my friends house(almost every weekend) i can travel with it and its less than 4Kg. and performance really well. I have to make an case for this thing. this is the only problem that is ugly as fuck
>>
File: 1420108691929.jpg (23KB, 502x432px) Image search: [Google]
1420108691929.jpg
23KB, 502x432px
>>56344157
You need to leave.
>>
>>56344126
The rebuild cases are expensive right now, but DIY it's pretty cheap. You just need something to provide power, and a cable to your laptop. If you need/want a case, you can build your own pretty cheaply.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-08-30_23-15-46.png (90KB, 571x458px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-08-30_23-15-46.png
90KB, 571x458px
Not shilling, Dbrand makes a skin without the razer logo cutout.

Thats what they did in the beggining. (de-brand)
>>
>>56344217
can you do hotplug it or do you turn it on and off every time you need to disconnect it?
>>
>>56344240
*prebuilt
>>
>>56344150
>LAN party
>i try to come up with the most retarded way to make my point
ok i bite retard, IF YOU travel to so many lans in a year that it becomes relevant to get a small build you buy an gaminglaptop. If you only go to your asperfriends annual lanparty it doesn´t matter if you have desktop (anything other than m-atx/itx is retarded now adays anyway).

so fuck you retard there is no valid reason to get egpu they are just moneygrabing trash shilled by aylmaoware and other trashcompanys
>>
>>56344157
>STOP BUYING THINGS I DONT LIKE

And he thinks I am the one who is underage. Kill yourself.
>>
File: 1292797611544.jpg (35KB, 350x400px) Image search: [Google]
1292797611544.jpg
35KB, 350x400px
>>56344219
you need to kill yourself kid
>>
>>56341832
I understand wanting to have a docking station augment a laptop's graphics power, but you're still gonna be stuck with a shitty CPU.

It would probably be a harder sell, but what I'd prefer is just a way to have an entire workstation just slaved to an OS/desktop environment hosted on a laptop's drive, so that the system can run independently or on a beefier machine.
>>
>>56342096
That's not worth 400 bucks.
>>
File: Faggot.jpg (349KB, 781x750px) Image search: [Google]
Faggot.jpg
349KB, 781x750px
>>56341832
>The thing is I hate the way razer's logos and stuff look
OP why are you such a faggot?
>>
>>56344217
>gaming pc/notebook
>but egups are cheap
dude you are retarded like your logic
if you want to tell me prebuild gameing pcs are not affordable in your country you are doing it wrong like the retarded braindead way.
you dont buy prebuild you build them yourself because its so easy even monkey could do it.
>>
>>56341832
Pretty sure you can use it on any thunderbolt 3 laptop.
>>
>>56342387
What happened to you in highschool?
>>
>>56344252
i don't need to turn everything off just remove the HDMI of EXP GDC. Now i'm going to school later i'll be back and keep asking any kind of doubt i'll ask later.
>>
File: 1416797394482.jpg (9KB, 240x179px) Image search: [Google]
1416797394482.jpg
9KB, 240x179px
>>56344347
Are you illiterate?
>>
>>56344293
so why don´t you use what every smart man does and stream your game??? Steams In-Home-Streaming is for that exact reason works well. Steam made that feature like years ago....
>>
>>56344410
you are just retarded, the most expensive part on a pc is the gpu, you can buy cheap used cpus for small money, most of the time the mobo is part of the deal. Or just get new cheap cpu + mobo and ram cost a shit pls dude dont even try to tell me pc parts are expensive when they never were cheaper in history
>>
>>56344293
You can play games using a remote desktop tool connected over the Internet. We live in the future.

You need a display emulator to get GPU acceleration for a remote desktop. You can use something like this
https://www.amazon.com/CompuLab-fit-Headless-Display-Emulator/dp/B00FLZXGJ6
or look for one from a different company.
>>
>>56344421
>>56344484
streaming just sucks from a quality and from a reliability standpoint.

you want your local hardware to always have the programs and data stored locally in case you're stuck on a shitty wi-fi or cellular connection and don't need to worry about your server being on a 100% reliable connection either.
>>
>>56344401
oh really? a lot of people say disconnecting it like that might brick the graphics card, im building an egpu setup myself so if you could ask that would be very appreciated
>>
Technically you can use it with any Thunderbolt 3 Laptop, but you will probably get trouble along the way and might run into performance issues due to driver issues with the Core and Your laptop.

Try it out my man, can always return the laptop.
>>
>>56344658
>streaming just sucks from a quality and from a reliability standpoint.

Please inform yourself about steam in-house-streaming befor you talk.
>>
I looked that thing up and holy shit thats expensive, why is it $500 and does it really only support razers new laptops or can it work with any laptop with thunderbolt?
>>
Can I use an eGPU on an x201?
>>
Guys calm down
You're all idiots, just realize what you don't know and it will all be okay
>>
>>56344733
unofficially, but yes. there may be weird problems.
there are better cheaper options on the horizon, fortunately.
>>
>>56343928
>Can someone explain to me why using the internal monitor will produce a loss, and an external monitor wouldn't?
The external monitor uses the output of the GPU. The internal monitor doesn't unless you do some hokey shit to get video to it. ASUS is getting around it with their USB C dock by adding a mini displayport input on their laptops, which is pretty fucking cool since you can probably use them as a monitor for a desktop or something with that.
>>
>>56344912
bruh
>>
>>56344772

no

t420 is your best bet. it has an updated bios which properly assigns pcie address space for 64bit OS.
infact, many laptops fuck this up. but not the thinkpad 420 and maybe a few other lenovos, but the x is probably not compatible last time i checked. you can also hack your bios specifically for this. but not all bios are hackable

a lot of the egpu info online is outdated too.
all you need is a system with proper bios, and an nvidia card 4 series and above if you want to output to your laptops internal display. the stock drivers enable this now, without the need to hack anything
>>
>>56344733
A mild gaming desktop computer is easily under $500+Graphics Card
Just saying
>>
>>56344658
Game files on the server. Work files on the laptop. He wouldn't have been able to play those games locally anyway.
>>
>>56342387
I think it's cool, but kinda dumb since some on board graphics will play most games these days :D
>>
File: 1468841855391.webm (3MB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
1468841855391.webm
3MB, 1136x640px
>>56342488
>>56342521
>All that power
>1366x768
Kill yourself, Brazilero
>>
>>56345114
For real though I'm waiting, Intel. I want the AMD/NVidia wars to grow more and more brutal and cutthroat, then have Intel fall out of the sky and destroy them all with an all in one processor
>>
>>56342471
Caralho anão, prefiro morrer em chamas a ter essa zona na mesa.
>>
>>56345149
The human eye can't see past 720p anyway.
>>
>>56345195
I'd be triggred if I wasn't aware of the memes.
>>
Kinda sad these aren't taking off.

They would be even better for Tablets as well.
Or smartphones even!
Less so admittedly, but still better than the integrated shit.

I'd hope the industry moved towards this as development slows down between now and the time that silicon replacements actually come out. (and stick around until they mature)

Being able to take a laptop around with you then come back to slot in and have a machine capable of doing Actual Heavy Work, and be upgradable, would be real fucking neato.

CPUs are basically not going anywhere besides hardware emulation and acceleration of software and decoders. (like 4k in Intels new shit)
GPUs, however, are constantly going places.
IT MAKES SENSE for these to exist for laptops. (unless you are not a GPU manufacturer, which is why it isn't actually popular, non-GPU companies don't want their lost profit)
>>
>>56341832
Dude I'm right there with you. I like the stealth and core but that tribal douche swirl logo is for the for the fuckin' birds I can't spend $3K on that
>>
>>56341832
>Spending this much on a dedicated GPU for a laptop

Why not just build a fucking desktop computer then? Too weak to carry a 30lb case?
>>
check XMG laptops, think there was a Blade clone
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.