[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Windows 7 on skylake

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 140812REDMackieWin7.jpg (40KB, 647x450px) Image search: [Google]
140812REDMackieWin7.jpg
40KB, 647x450px
Hey lads.

I'm about to buy a new rig for myself with a 1151 socket, but i heard they have issues with Win7, something about not being able to install from USB.

Can i just plug in a drive with an existing win7 installation and then update the drivers that need to be? Will it boot?

I really don't want to go to (((win10))) but maybe I am just slightly delaying the inevitable at this point.
>>
>>56341814
first, are you a gamer?
if not use linux and save money
>>
>>56341856

> first, are you a gamer?

Yes.

And I use linux at work and the only thing I like about it is the shell. I don't think I can be bothered to use it at home.
>>
I did it last week. You need Windows 7 usb patcher (I used Asus one I think) or Intel Windows patcher tool to do it (it adds USB drivers for install). But all drivers vere missing for me after install so I booted lubuntu live USB stick and moved network and USB drivers to PC hard drive, then booted it and installed the drivers.

Currently everything works but it's a hassle, took me a while.
>>
>>56341814
Given the problem is USB drivers, you should have no issue booting your existing installation.
>>
>>56341995

So you didn't try to boot from an existing installation of win7? I wonder if i can just do what you did with the drivers from within windows, before i transfer my SSD to the new box.

After you jumped through all the hoops, everything works perfectly? Do you get USB 3 speeds?
>>
>>56341814
When doing the usb install, do it on an old non skylake computer. When it completes the first half and wants to restart, shut down your pc. Put your OS drive into your skylake build and continue the install.
>>
File: fuck-meme_00370790.jpg (130KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
fuck-meme_00370790.jpg
130KB, 1600x1200px
>Buying state of the art cpu and using it with a 10 year old OS.
>>
>>56342115

> using spyware
>>
File: 1456367459559.jpg (16KB, 281x350px) Image search: [Google]
1456367459559.jpg
16KB, 281x350px
>>56342115
>buying any type of CPU and using it with the worst OS ever made
>>
>>56342053
Yes, Intel has all the drivers needed. Mine was a laptop, so I had various other Intel drivers and win 7 is nicely supported, last driver update from this month.

My laptop didn't have DVD and other devices did not work out of the box so I had to do the live ubuntu USB workaround.
>>
>>56341814
1151 socket here, installed win7 with an usb drive twice this month. no issues or anything.. just needed to use a docking on my hdd afterwards since there were no usable drivers on my pc.
>>
>>56341814
You can literally use google to answer this question, retard
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.