[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Telling my uncle about GNU/Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (30KB, 350x224px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 350x224px
Sooo my uncle is a teacher at university. The department he rules has been using windows for years but windows 8 got him fed up with bullshit.

Low performance, and stupid fees got him thinking to switch the whole department to GNU/Linux, and they didn't even face win10 abuse just yet.

Yesterday we were talking about that, I told him what's to come with win10, and he wants me to explain "what is this GNU/linux thing?"

He's on his 60s, but pretty smart, so he will understand everything quickly, but he is not geeky at all, i can not expect any technical background.

Where do I start? Which parts of the paradigm do I priorize?
>>
Sit him in front of an install and show him a few things you can do. Show him package managers. Show him the file structure a bit. Explain that /dev/sdx is what you see instead of x:\. Tell him everything is case sensitive, etc.
>>
>>56338374
Ask your Uncle before you show him Linux what his expectations are from the OS.
Do some research into different programms which would be usefull for a teacher at a university and show him the process of installing & using them.

Dont listen to the gentoo fags, because nobody besides them cares about it.
Ignore all the useless background shit he is not going to use, just so you can look smart.
At the end of the day you are trying to sell him Linux and not teach him everthing about it.
Leave it at the most basic tasks and see if he is interrested.
>>
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64
>>
This is the spiel that I do when people ask for advice about this:
GNU is an operating system that was modeled after the Unix OS. GNU exists for the purpose of replacing the Unix OS. Linux is a special kind of software called a kernel program. Linux is a replacement for the Unix kernel program.

If you want to install and use GNU/Linux, you are certainly free to do so. However you should understand that software that was exclusively designed for Windows (and maybe OS X) aren't going to work on GNU/Linux *unless* it was designed to work on GNU/Linux. There are often free replacements to the programs you use in Windows that do work on GNU/Linux but this is not a guarantee: they might not have the same features that you've used in your Windows programs.
>>
>>56338399
That is a good start. On the maintainer side of things. It would be good if he installed it himself, but I don't know if i can count on him doing it.

On the "just werks" side, what do I tell him? I think i should make sure tha he hasn't fear of CLI. He's not going to be scared, but i don't think he is used to it.
>>
>Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU Training Videos
>>
>>56338584
This. What could he possibly use at uni?
I haven't had time to ask him. Maybe If I did my homework i could have set a VM, intall a distro, and his programs, and guide him on that.

When it comes to the distro, he remembers win 7 being bearable, so maybe he may like Cinnamon or KDE.
I don't want him to call me every time something breaks so maybe I'll choose something based on debian stable.
>>
Aw man, talked to my aunt and he actually used winxp before 8

I remembered that, but I couldn't believe my own memory.
>>
>>56338374

Just tell him that he's not gonna have support for professional software but that he's gonna get a myriad of subpar alternatives developed for free by literally who. Tell him that he will end up using like two or three of those alternatives to do the job he used to do with only one software on Windows, but that it's gonna take twice the time and it's only gonna have like 90% of the quality it could've had if he had used the Windows suite; don't forget to mention that the result of this work most often won't be compatible with the Windows software, meaning that even if he manages to create a semi-decent work, it won't be useful to coworkers using standard-of-the-industry software.

Also tell him how the kernel of the system was already deemed obsolete just weeks after its creation, more than twenty years ago. Tell him how the people who develop the kernel sweep most bugs under the rug claiming that they're not relevant enough to be fixed, and that this itself is enough for them to be considered fixed, because if they don't need to be fixed then the problem doesn't exist, and this itself is a fix. Tell him that the official drivers for his hardware will cause instability, forcing him to use fan-made version of them instead; be sure to explain that these fan-made versions only work for the most basic stuff, and that even with common hardware such as printers and scanners he will lose some functionality.

Tell him that he won't have to pay anything, but that he won't get any sort of official support either. Make sure he understands that he's gonna have to post on some forum and wait for a while for a reply, if he ever gets one, whenever he needs to fix broken stuff. Alternatively he can call you to fix it, because you're responsible for it after all, and you will always be available to fix his stuff in a timely manner because he needs it to work ASAP. Lastly, tell him that the main advantage is that he can make it look like pic related.
>>
Tell him not to be a fucking pleb and install Arch or Gentoo and be prepared to read and learn a lot. He's an intelligent professor so he'll appreciate finally learning something that won't be holding his fucking hand.

No wait actually screw that don't let him install Arch it has fucking poetterniggers systemd bullshit.
>>
>>56339174
This.

Just tell your uncle to convince his school to get Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB 2016.
>>
>>56338374
Don't do it. Get Windows 10 Enterprise for him.
>>
>>56338602
>I think i should make sure tha he hasn't fear of CLI.
Agreed. People will say you don't need CLI to use GNU/Linux these days, but the CLI is what really makes it powerful. It'd be a shame to ignore it.
>>
>>56339666

devil trips says the truth
>>
>>56339174
>slight color changes and different icons are your example of ricing
go fuck yourself kid
>>
>>56340701

>lincucks don't even try to argue against the many terrible flaws of GNU/Linux
>instead they just present the argument that the ricing is underrated

You freetards are seriously wrong in the head. Don't you ever need to use your computers for work? Are you all NEETs or something?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.