[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BlackBerry 10 Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: BlackBerry.jpg (30KB, 500x311px) Image search: [Google]
BlackBerry.jpg
30KB, 500x311px
This is a thread for those who enjoy using BlackBerry smartphones [and other devices] which run the wonderful, QNX-based, BlackBerry 10 OS (like the Passport, Classic, Q10, Q5, Z30 and so on). Let's share the advantages of using a BB10 device, discuss tips, recommend apps, and have a good ol' fashioned circle-jerk. I'll start.

Reasons to use a BlackBerry 10 device:
- Secure, stable, fast, responsive, based on the glorious Unix-like QNX operating system.

- Robust. Comes OOTB with a bevy of features / capabilities that on the other mobile OSes you'd only get via a custom ROM or multiple third-party apps. It can do way more than a fresh install of iOS or stock Android can. Also, the BlackBerry Assistant is objectively more functional than Apple's Siri.

- No feature creep. Because BB10 has become a bit of a niche platform, it is maintained rather than "enhanced" with new features every update. Updates mainly focus on improving upon existing features, increasing performance, security patches and so on. This means you can use it to help you get shit done, rather than worrying about changing your workflow. This is the same reason many of us stick with LTS releases of LiGNUx distros. When you actually have to get work done in the real world, it's far better to know your device well, and be able to rely on its stability. I'm a grad student and freelance worker myself. I don't have much time to waste on superfluous bullshit.

- Compatible with Android apps (ships with Amazon AppStore, but you can add F-Droid, APKPure, and others), on the occasions you might need something that's not provided in the OS, or via BlackBerry World.

Application suggestions and other shit to come in my next post...
>>
/thread
>>
File: blackberry-world-z10.jpg (49KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
blackberry-world-z10.jpg
49KB, 600x338px
Application suggestions:
- Total Commander (free / BBWorld): Great secondary file manger ported from Android. Can do things like search within text files and other documents. Also comes with a nifty built-in text editor, media viewer, and audio player.

- Browsie Browser ($2.99 / BBWorld): Alternative web browser that's fast and clean like the stock browser, but sports a bunch of extra features, like ad-blocking that actually blocks network connections to ad-servers. Perfect for when you're only on mobile.

- Renamed Todo (free / BBWorld): Task list management application that actually follows the widely used ToDo.txt format / conventions. Can mange todo.txt files both locally, and in the cloud.

- No Tag Player (free / BBWorld): An audio player for those times when you put a bunch of untagged music on your phone, and just want to play it by directory and file name. While the stock music player is fucking great in every other respect, that's the one feature it's missing.

- FBReader (free / BBWorld): While it's another Android port, it's hands down the best eBook reader for BB10.

- Term48 (free / BBWorld): Fantastic terminal emulator.

- TxtEdit (free / BBWorld): Handy minimalist text editor that supports syntax highlighting.

- WaveRecorder (free / BBWorld): Does what it says. Records audio in uncompressed .wav format, and does it well.

- File Diff (free / BBWorld): A graphical interface to diff. Useful.

- FaceSlim (free / BBWorld): An Android port for FaceBook that actually respects your privacy and freedom.

- Contacts ImEx (free / BBWorld): Export single contacts, or all of them, to vCard or CSV files.

If you need standard Android apps, BlackBerry 10 devices can install APKs natively. I myself use the F-Droid and APKPure applications, and have never seen the need to download any apps from Amazon.

It should also be noted that some BlackBerry 10 devices support wireless charging OOTB (via power mats and the like). My Classic does and it's fucking amazing.
>>
Even the anal retentive fucksticks at ArsTechnica like it: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/02/review-blackberry-10-is-better-much-better-late-than-never/1/

And that's 3 years ago, before updates that fixed the miniscule issues it had (maps and voice recognition are now perfect).
>>
>>56332320
>No Tag Player.. while the stock music player is great in every other respect..
No network streams. Add neutron to your list.

>WaveRecorder
Swap for Parrot. Unequivocally the best voice recorder, across any platform.

>FaceSlim
Notifications for Facebook is available via fdroid. What does this do better?
>>
>>56332044
when is the rome coming out
>>
>>56332766
This is a BB10OS thread, get that trash out of here.
>>
File: Blackberry-Z10.jpg (116KB, 1004x804px) Image search: [Google]
Blackberry-Z10.jpg
116KB, 1004x804px
Z10 owner here, unfortunately it's blacklisted so I can't use it as a cell phone (purchased it at a thrift store for $20 a few years back). Still love the device, even in spite of it being a solid 4+ years old now and just a dual core it has 2GB of RAM (unheard of in those days) and it's still smooth running without any noticeable issues. 11n dual band Wi-Fi (again, in 2012 hardly any devices had dual band, they just had 2.4 GHz 11n), it's still far ahead of its time really.

I use it primarily as a secondary device nowadays since it's Wi-Fi only, but I have a lot of Google services stuff installed courtesy of Cobalt232's work from the CrackBerry forums, guy's a genius as far as I'm concerned. Everything works great albeit a bit slower than if it was natively running Android directly.

Funny thing because there was a leaked video years ago from the BlackBerry testing labs that showed them running a native installation of Android 4.4 on the Z10 - it was an experiment years ago when BlackBerry first started considering whether or not to put Android on their hardware, they knew BB10 was dying almost from inception.

It's a fine smooth running OS, it really is, but it just never caught on and there was and still is basically no fucking app support for anything truly useful. The BlackBerry store has practically shit on it, most of the actually popular software is now non-functional which angers me to no end: I used to use the Z10 for watching Crackle all the time because they had a native BB10 client but recently even though the client software still exists on my device it simply doesn't work anymore at all sadly and it's not something available from the BlackBerry store anymore either.

I really do love the device, was thinking about getting a Leap but BB10 is dead and there's no going back anymore.

Wouldn't mind having the DTEK50, I really wouldn't but just can't afford it at this time.

The Z10 and BB10 were works of art, seriously.
>>
>>56332783
>muh updates
>muh apps
>>
>>56332861
Quit shitposting.
>>
>>56332752
faceslim is just a facebook app for using facebook. doesn't integrate with anything. which is exactly the way i like it. so to each his own in that regard.

neutron looks nice but i really don't need streaming radio. when i'm home i have my wii running homebrew like wiimc, and of-course my computers. when i'm out i can listen to music on my blackberry off its storage (or off vibevault, or off youtube, or soundcloud etc...).

parrot looks great though. thanks for the heads up!
>>
>>56332803
Z10 is especially a work of art, and I can only really fault the battery life.
>those ergonomics

>>56333039
notifications for facebook is exactly that. It's an open source, minimal facebook client, and doesn't require excessive permissions.

Other apps I would recommend:
>bb password keeper
encrypted password storage off your main device (i.e. computer) and on another encrypted on that you always have on you. If you don't use some sort of smart card or NFC-based PKI already, this is nice.

> blend
unfinished and buggy but extremely useful if on Windows/Mac for checking your email /calendar and responding to various text messaging.

>google translate via snap/cobalt gplay store
better than translate on actual android devices as you can send text to the app via the "share" functionality (although translate recently added some stupid floating bubble that does similar on Android)
>>
>>56333314
Ah. I thought notifications for fb was exactly what it sounded like. And yeah, the BB stock apps are all killer.

~Posted from my BlackBerry Classic (via Overchan, typing with my left hand, and drinking a beer with the other)
>>
Att Passport owner here, love the os, with wireless charging, and 2 day battery life. Touch enabled keypad is awesome. BB10 is more complete than ios and android. It has features built in that you need apps for on the others.

My apps

Bonfire Reader - for reading Epub
Team viewer - for taking remote control of a pc with team viewer installed.
BeMaps Pro - uses Google maps and search to find what your looking for, then hands over to BlackBerry maps for turn by turn directions.
PinGuin - find a place you like, it uses GPS to mark it on a map, you can share with other, view later, add picture of location, and use BlackBerry maps to return there.
ID3iot - nice simple app for fixing mp3 tags and the pic shown with them
Fast Tube - amazing youtube app, can preload videos for watching later if you will be off WiFi or won't have cell service, also it dose not play adds.
Book Marks audio player- I sometimes listen to audio books, this app let's you build a play list, and use bookmarks for favorite parts or just to resume last part you listened to.
>>
>robust
>plastic camera glass
dank
>>
>>56335471
wtf are you talkin' about senpai?
>>
Anyone has issue with uninstalling Android apps?
>>
why did mr robot shit on blackberry?
>>
>>56332409
>maps are perfect
It often doesn't find what I'm looking for and I end up using Google maps in browser. Gotta install Google services. No idea about voice recognition since I don't use it
>>
>>56335965
An additional note is I am using Play Store to install and uninstall Android apps. When I uninstall apps, Playstore just crashs.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.