[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

tips on speeding up firefox

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4

File: firefox-256.e2c1fc556816.jpg (19KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
firefox-256.e2c1fc556816.jpg
19KB, 256x256px
tips on speeding up firefox
>>
>>56330180
Uninstall it and replace it with Chrome.
Nobody uses Firefox for speed.
>>
>>56330229

chrome fucks all of your RAM
>>
>>56330243
>he fell for the 16GiB of RAM
>>
>>56330229
I'm gonna stick with firefox
>>
>>56330180
If it's slow after a vanilla install with zero modifications, there's not much you can do about it.
>>
>>56330180
Are you using a hard drive instead of a solid state drive?
>>
>>56330180

speedyfox?
>>
>>56330180
install gentoo
>>
>>56330180
install ublock origin
install new tab override and set about:blank as new tab url

in about:config:
animate.tabs = false
crashrep......... = false
pocket.enabled = false
reader.parseonload......... = false
pdfjs.disabled = true

in about:preferences set about:blank as homepage
advanced -> turn off update search engines, spell check, data choices
>>
>>56330243
it does if you have 40 tabs open you retarded fucks.
>>
>>56330531
about:config

search for 200 200, replace with 0 0

check installgentoo.wikia.com's firefox page for more tweaks
>>
>>56330229
chrome has slowdowns on many websites where firefox doesnt, i dont care about ram i have 16 gigs of it, but more often than not chrome has higher cpu usage than firefox and that is just plain unacceptable when it has worse performance.

also chrome smooth scrolling works like shit and doesnt work in drop down menus, where it instead just instantly scrolls more than a page worth of content if the dropdown menu isnt at least half a screen long and you are forced to use scroll bar. Firefox is the only browser on windows that can maintain 60 fps stable smooth scrolling on almost every website.
>>
>>56330229
Talking about speed on high end setups is pointless. It loads instantly for me, same with chrome.

Since speed isn't a competing point, the only other thing is the interface and extensions available. obviously, firefox has far more extensions, therefore its objectively better than Chrome.
>>
>>56330180
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox_tweaks
>>
wtf is even wrong with you OP, Firefox is just as fast as Chrome on my 2015 i3 2,0ghz 4gb memory machine.
Here's what I do:
- ublock origin
- plugins click to play
- running on Linux
- between 2-10 tabs open at a time

I really don't know where this meme with slow FF comes from, it's super fast.
>>
honestly if you want as many tabs and faster browsing you want more RAM and better CPU
>>
https://lifehacker.com/5687850/speed-up-firefox-by-moving-your-cache-to-ram-no-ram-disk-required
>>
>>56330243
So?
>>
>>56330552
Pretty much any addon also create 1-3 new processes, thus eating up more RAM.
>>
>>56331995
this is a bad idea, any modern version of firefox will dynamically allocate memory to cache resources optimally. disabling the disk cache like that article suggests will reduce startup speed and slow anything that relies on having a file on disk to manipulate (since it must be written to disk from the memory now)
>>
the actual best tips are use e10s and pick your addons carefully to avoid resource hungry ones.
>>
File: image.png (490KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
490KB, 449x401px
>>56330714
>he doesn't browse the web with an ancient ThinkPad
>>>/v/
>>
>>56330531
also these are pretty good, though im skeptical that disabling pocket will really give appreciable gains.
>>
>>56330531
reader.parse-on-load.enabled = false
extensions.pocket.enabled = false
browser.tabs.crashReporting.sendReport = false
browser.tabs.animate = false

fixed that for latest firefox
>>
Why font and image-pics rendering are better in Firefox than Chrome?
I'm using Windows 10 at 150% scaling
>>
>>56330229
I do so and it honestly runs faster as long as you stick to some tweaking that most casuals are too lazy to undergo or too numb to even care
Nicely enough, a simple script solves about 90% of the shore whenever in a brand new firefox.
>>
>>56330180
Use Light, it's a stripped down Firefox.
>>
>>56330180
what speed are you talking about?
how long pages take to load?
what about youre internet connection speed?
wtf is this type of tism?
>>
Any browser recommendations for a Pentium 4 512 mb machine ?İnstalling lubuntu on it right now.
>>
>>56330659
Chrome/Chromium knows how to use the resources, the multiprocess is mature and stable. I wish to use Firefox because privacy and rice but it's slow as fuck compared to Chromium. They implemented the multiprocess but it's a fucking joke. I'll wait until they will get their shit together and make a good browser. You can't deny that Chrome/Chromium is more secure, more stable and better in many cases. It's just smooth. Firefox is not.
>>
>>56330531
I could not find any values named
crashrep.........
or
reader.parseonload.........

pls help did I get the number of dots wrong?
>>
>>56330243
What were you using that RAM for anyways. That magical RAM disk that has no benefit regardless?
>>
>install gentoo
>>
>>56337616
It was to show 'etc.'
just type 'crashrep' and 'reader.parse' and it will show up
>>
>>56337525
Sadly this is all true. My main browser is Firefox but I use Chromium on the side for sites that it just can't handle like Hangouts.
>>
>>56330180
ln -s /usr/bin/chrome /usr/bin/firefox
>>
>>56330180
im really thinking about abandoning FF for good, all videos I watch have a 5 second delay at the start for some reason. Not to mention constant crashes because it can't handle a mere 10 tabs.
>>
>>56330180
Upgrade your PC, it shouldn't be slow on anything more than 2GB RAM and a decent processor. I have no problems with it, it's just as fast as any browser. On other hand, you could try installing Opera. It's the best chromium browser right now, even better than chrome.
>>
Just use Linux with GNU IceCat which is a better firefox. You'll thank me.
>>
>>56330180
Use the Aurora branch instead. Still has a bit of bloatware, but it's lightning fast and more stable than the stable branch.
>>
Fucking use waterfox with ublock origin. All meme features disabled, runs a lot faster, ublock blocks all of the garbage.
>>
>>56337080
K-Meleon.
>>
>>56340620
Aurora > Waterfox.
>>
>>56330180
Install Aurora (Developer Edition), make sure e10s is enabled, and install uBlock Origin. There, your Firefox is now fast.
>>
>>56342965
E10s is enabled by default on Aurora.
>>
>>56330180
use cyberfox

enable ipv6 if your router supports it
>>
>>56342965
>on gentoo I can install aurora by appending
bindist
to a file
>>
Some faggot posted a thread along the lines of:

>Firefox recommended add ons
>Mozilla recommended extensions

and got a First Post Best Post reply with some great resources and guides.... Now I can't find it.... anyone have any such links similar to privacytools.io and prismbreak?
>>
>>56345211
Never mind, found it:

>>56256148
>>
>>56330180
Install palemoon
>>
>>56330180
Refresh your user profile. It can be done in Help -> Troubleshooting Information.
>>
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox_tweaks#Performance
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox_on_RAM
>>
>>56330180

Get a job and buy an SSD you piece of shit.
>>
File: curiosity.png (325KB, 382x417px) Image search: [Google]
curiosity.png
325KB, 382x417px
If not Firefox or chrome, then what?
What's a good browser that supports universal web protocols?
>>
>>56330229
Firefox is actually faster than Chrome on Android. Desktop there isn't really a difference besides Chrome propensity to eat all the ram. If you love having the Google botnet then by all means remain continue on. Ignorance is bliss.
>>
Stop using a potato.
>>
>>56334770
>no webm
>>
>>56350072
On a Pentium D 945 w/ 4GB and not facing slowdown.
>>
File: 1456338827463.png (331KB, 3264x1980px) Image search: [Google]
1456338827463.png
331KB, 3264x1980px
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.