[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/pcbg/- PC Building General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 245
Thread images: 40

File: screws.jpg (7KB, 320x131px) Image search: [Google]
screws.jpg
7KB, 320x131px
Amateur, backup thread starter edition.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
https://pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
http://www.logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
http://pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to build a pc, how to select components, and much, much more advice.
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

- Post your list, rate other anon's, ask questions in general.

- Always state the purpose of your PC and your budget. If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

-If you see any other "PCPartPicker thread"s or threads asking for advice on a build or parts list, please politely direct them here.
>>
File: ATX_compare.png (3MB, 1389x500px) Image search: [Google]
ATX_compare.png
3MB, 1389x500px
Essential newb informational video:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIF43-0mDk4
>>
File: build.jpg (124KB, 1152x1030px) Image search: [Google]
build.jpg
124KB, 1152x1030px
>>56326863
Planned build is pic related. I already have HDDs and an SSD. Any comments, etc. are appreciated.
Weirdly enough the EVGA FTW 1070 is one of the cheaper aftermarket cards, cheaper than the founders edition. The build is meant to be as quiet/silent as possible.
>>
File: Capture.png (89KB, 1154x634px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
89KB, 1154x634px
This was mostly based on logicalincrements. Any glaring issues you can see?
>>
>>56327712
looks good apart from RAM. faster ram does not give any benefits unless you work with databases and such.
you could save a little by getting the gaming M3 or M5 and a different PSU. 850W is almost 2 times more than your build would use even with SLI.

>>56327797
>locked CPU
>huge heatsinks on RAM
>not 2TB drive
>no SSD
>>
>>56327712
The 850w power supply is overkill in this setup.
>>
>>56327894
>>56327900
The PSU is semi passive, meaning that it'll be working as a fanless model most of the time even under load. 850W is also enough for 2 high-end GPUs if I ever fancy them.

As for the ram, I know that it doesn't do much but it's like 10 bucks more, so it's not a huge deal.

The m5 motherboard is a difference of a few €, not worth mentioning, I'll look into the m3 though, thanks.
>>
File: 1472503602114.png (142KB, 1241x872px) Image search: [Google]
1472503602114.png
142KB, 1241x872px
Anything I should change?
>>
>>56327982
>fx 4350 with an rx 480
le bottleneck face
>>
File: 1472022937704.gif (1MB, 501x378px)
1472022937704.gif
1MB, 501x378px
>>56327982
pretty much everything

either get an intel i5 now or wait for amd zen if you're a fanboy. the amd fx cpus are old as fuck and slow as fuck

your ram has huge heatsinks which is just plain retarded and has no functionality.

you dont need a DVD reader nowadays, get a USB drive instead.

and i really hope you're not going to play vidya with fucking wifi.
>>
First time building a computer so I knew not everythig would be perfect
>>
>>56327982
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QRQLsJ
>>
File: 1470350487419.png (690KB, 850x464px) Image search: [Google]
1470350487419.png
690KB, 850x464px
>>56328128
>that RAM
>>
Went onto another thread and asked bout this sorta thing.
They were such dicks.
I mean it is my first build
And I am 13
So I wouldn't know About all this stuff
>>
>>56327977
Even with SLI, as stated earlier, it is still too much since 750w is recommended for 2-way 1080 SLI. Also SLI isn't always a great idea since not all games support it.
>>
>>56328128
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/cGByKZ
>>
Thanks for the help
>>
>>56328244
Extra headroom doesn't hurt, there are also GPUs that consume more power than a 1080, overclocking is also a thing, it'll remain passive for a longer time with the extra headroom, etc.
I don't see an actual issue with the 850W, I could save 20 bucks by going with the 750W version but that's not a huge deal.
>>
File: 1437525435344.gif (1MB, 163x175px) Image search: [Google]
1437525435344.gif
1MB, 163x175px
>>56328328
>300W+ headroom even when OCing
>there are also GPUs that consume more power than a 1080
but you are buying a 1070...
>>
>>56328366
>but you are buying a 1070...
And in 3 years I'll still be using this PSU.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1440x1920px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1440x1920px
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/mCFW3F

How is it? Poorfag, but I plan to get the GPU later to help move build along faster. I already have the case so that is $100 down.
>>
>>56328388
>implying performance per watt is not increasing every year

Fermi was the high point of power consumption, cards are becoming more and more power efficient.
>>
>>56328438
>it's overkill
And I'll enjoy fanless operation even under load and everything will be cooler and operate at maximum efficiency, what exactly is the problem?
>>
>>56328430
Check out the Gaming M3 mobo as alternative.
Your RAM and cooler is probably not compatible because of the fuckhuge heatsinks on the RAM.
WD Black is a meme. Get any other 2TB drive for the same price.
>WIFI for gaming
please dont.

rest looks good and you're not a fucking poorfag
>>
>>56328493
That's not how efficiency rating works, and headroom doesnt work that way either.

But i can understand you want a fanless unit, just saying that even 650W would be more than enough and give plenty of headroom even when you OC to the max.

And future proofing is not an issue because of what I just said about performance/watt.

Your money and choice and I cant stop you.
>>
>>56328617
wtf
>>
>>56328501
Thanks, gonna make those changes. By the way, I wanted to get a liquid cooler by Corsair/NZXT in the first place for clearance reasons. I heard that Noctua was the better CPU cooler to get for the case, yet everyone with the case I seen use liquid cooling.

Would a liquid cooler help that compatibility out or is it too meme?
>>
>>56328617
what in the world
>>
>>56328609
>That's not how efficiency rating works, and headroom doesnt work that way either.
I'm sorry, you're only talking to an EE student here. PSUs are the most efficient at roughly 50% load, higher wattage units are dimensioned to take more current (obviously) so they'll either run cooler because the cooling solution is better or they'll have higher quality components inside. Whichever way you slice it, buying an overkill PSU will just prolong the life of that PSU since it never has to work at or even near its limit.
>future proofing is not an issue because of my predictions
Except that you could be wrong.
>650W
Will be hard pressed to run an overclocked system with 2 TitanXs or other cards with higher power consumption.
>>
>>56328675
You mean AIO/CLC (all in one/closed loop cooler)?
The thick triple fan ones are really good and usually beats even the fat Noctua coolers. Some dual fan coolers might even be around the same performance.

There should be plenty of reviews of AIO coolers with comparison against the NH-D14 or D15.

>>56328727
>>future proofing is not an issue because of my predictions
>predicitons
>you could be wrong
sure, but it's a realistic prediction and has been the trend since Nvidia Fermi for the green team and even earlier for the red team.
shit, it's been like that for CPUs for the last decade. Performance increases while staying at the same power consumption.

>Will be hard pressed to run an overclocked system with 2 TitanXs or other cards with higher power consumption.
you're not getting two TITAN X's are you? stop moving the goalposts.

You got me on the 50% load efficiency tho, i'll give you that. But you're a bit too invested in that i feel.

BTW, have you checked out some platinum rated units?
>>
File: lostit.jpg (40KB, 540x529px)
lostit.jpg
40KB, 540x529px
My parts are comin' in the mail right now. Two-day shipping on everything except the tower.. hopefully will be here by Thursday at latest.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/rrrtnn

Tell me how I did senpai
>>
>>56328727
Not him, but your assumptions aren't entirely correct
>PSUs are the most efficient at roughly 50% load
True, but it's also a curve whose peak efficiency depends on the unit itself. Some are more efficient at a broader range than others, some have really small peak efficiency ranges that drop off dramatically the more you load the PSU, and some have steadily increasing efficiency up until around 3/4 of its rating, which then drops like a rock afterwards.
>buying an overkill PSU will just prolong the life of that PSU since it never has to work at or even near its limit
While theoretically this is true, in the real world, all components degrade with age, humidity, temperature fluctations, etc. There are too many variables in play when it comes to determining how long electrical components last that unless you live in a perfectly controlled environment drawing the same amount of power at every blinking moment of the PSU's lifespan, you've got a better shot of guessing tomorrow's lotto numbers than predicting when your brand new PSU will conk out. That's why you buy a PSU with the highest rating, not because they're more efficient, but because the quality of the components in the thing that makes it that more efficient also reduces the chances of spontaneous failures during heavy usage. Of course, this is not always the case and some 80+ Gold rated PSU *cough*Thermalfake*couch* have attrocious quality control that undermines the semi-decent components that went into it. You can buy an overkill PSU and run it with no problems, but it's not a guarantee that it will last longer than a lower-rated PSU.

>you're only talking to an EE student here
Must have started your first semester this week.
>>
>>56328827
>you're not getting two TITAN X's are you? stop moving the goalposts.
I'm getting a single 1070, who knows what I'll be buying in a few years? I already had the situation where I was running a 680W PSU, got myself 2 R9 290s and suddenly needed to upgrade the PSU. Which is more wasteful that getting an 850W unit right now.
What you're saying is right, power consumption has basically remained identical, so high-end GPUs will still be at roughly 250W stock, getting 2 of them puts you into 750W territory especially with overclocking and the 850W unit is just 20 bucks more.
Yes, all of this depends on whether I'll be running a dual GPU system at some point, but I just like to have that option without needing to mess around with a new PSU. And even if I never buy a second GPU I basically spent 150 bucks on a fanless PSU.
>platinum rated
Incredibly expensive still.

>>56328897
in general 50-80% is as good number.
I'm buying a well reviewed unit with stellar test results, what you're saying literally doesn't apply here and I was never talking about PSUs in general but rather this specific one and whether I should get the 850, 750 or 650W version. And yes, in that scenario the higher wattage units are more likely to last longer.
>Must have started your first semester this week.
If you base that on a bunch of bullshit you interpreted into my post instead of what I actually wrote then you might come to that conclusion, yes. But how about you actually look at the facts instead of picking fights with random people on the internet.
>>
File: 1466179268692.jpg (32KB, 447x456px)
1466179268692.jpg
32KB, 447x456px
>>56328897
this is what i had on my tongue but couldnt get the wording right myself. spot on, my good sir.

>who knows what I'll be buying in a few years?
>I already had the situation where I was running a 680W PSU
>got myself 2 R9 290
>completely ignoring everythin i just said about new tech being more power efficient every generation
fucking hell, it's like talking to a wall
>>
>>56327894
>faster ram does not give any benefits unless you work with databases and such.
Some games can take advantage of it.

>>56328864
>not a 7200rpm drive
You dun goofed.
>>
>>56329035
which games
>>
>>56329034
He's young. I've been working with and messing around with hardware since the first Pentiums came on the market. He's still got a lot to learn if he thinks parroting "facts" from PC gaming blogs and reddit makes his words any more credible than the degree he has yet to complete.
>>
how much can case affect sound? I have a HAF912 and realized my pc is so much louder than my friend who has a Define r4, and I'm starting to think it's because my case is literally only sheet metal and mesh

what's the cheapest quiet case I can get?
>>
>>56328153
sause?
>>
>>56329034
Sure. But computers have also become huge electricity drains. A 140W PSU used to be enough for a good high end desktop PC 20 years ago. Now you need at least a quality 450W PSU. A current high end computer consumes about 50-100W idle. about the same as late 90s high end computers. But at load, a high end computer can easily hit 400W, a late 90s one would hit 120W or so.

High end CPUs and GPUs used to be passively cooled. One fan (in the PSU) to cool the entire system. Giant tower coolers and AIO coolers became commonplace.

New chips are better at throttling, but computers are worse for your electricity bill now than they were 20 years ago.

Manufacturers (especially GPU manufacturers) went nuts. At least they appear to be going the right way now tho, but it's still a far way from the high end 3D graphics cards of the late 90s that simply could not draw more than 15W due to being limited by the PCI slot.

I'm sure an old computer would be even more efficient if paired with a modern PSU design (tho altered to suit a system that draws more from the 5V rail than current systems does.)
>>
>>56329119
>HAF912
>my case is literally only sheet metal and mesh
Because that's what it actually is. If you want a silent case, you need one with acoustic barriers like foam paddings on the front/side panels and non-direct intake vents to further dampen the noise from the intake fans.
Your fans also have a lot to do with the noise output. The more air it pushes (aka how fast the fan has to spin), the more noise it will make. If you want a completely silent build, you need to remove the need of having more than one fan. Put a 45W TDP or lower CPU with a massive fanless heatsink, a PSU with a quiet setting on its fan (preferably one that is rated about twice the wattage that you'll actually need at peak load, because then the fan will rarely kick in), and an SSD-only storage solution. If you must have a GPU, then you'll need a case with foam-lining on the side panels and a blower-style fan to keep the GPU heat from spreading throughout the case. Windowed cases can be as loud as heavily vented cases because acrylic transfers sound pretty well.
>>
>>56329045
I can't find benchmarks for any good games, but Fallout 4 benefits.

>>56329140
Boku no Pico
>>
>>56329249
>20 years ago
>the 90s
your information is incorrect and you're wrong. every generation for both CPUs and GPUs they become more and more power efficient. we already hit the peak power consumption several years ago.

look at some actual fucking numbers and you will see.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU16/1533
>>
>>56326863
Are there news about the 490?
>>
>>56329447
>RX490
It will either be a RX 485X2 or a Fury successor. The smaller Vega chip was cancelled.
>>
>>56328328
He's right though, $20 is a decent enough savings, a lot of PSUs stay the same price with more/less wattage. And I SLI'ed 2 [spoiler]stock[/spoiler] 1070s on 650w with headroom to spare
I'm just saying, saving $20 and keeping a quality power supply with still way more than enough wattage is hard to do, and you can do it
>>
>>56328493
Efficiency is optimal at a range around half the max wattage, and your computer will RARELY ever pull what PCpartpicker states
>>
>>56329006
You're missing the point, SLI is crap, and there's no new cards coming out that will need 800+ watts, even in SLI with mild overclocks
>>
File: build.png (85KB, 1164x682px) Image search: [Google]
build.png
85KB, 1164x682px
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/YVNBjc

I'd like some general feedback from you guys before I start buying things.

My budget is around $1k, but I won't lose much sleep if I'm a little over that.

One of my main goals is to have a smaller pc that still does everything I want it to. A mid tower just seems too big/excessive. I would have liked to go with a micro-atx instead, but it looks like there aren't any micro-atx cases, so I'll have to settle with mini-itx.

I already have a graphics card that plays all of the games I want it to. Decided to go with a beefy cpu because I do a lot of software compiling. Sometimes I like to fuck around in UE4, and it seems to put the light baking work on the cpu.

One thing I'm a little worried about is that m.2 ssd. Mini-itx motherboards put the m.2 slot on the back of the mobo, where not much air flow happens. While the worst that will probably happen is that the ssd will throttle, I'm still not entirely sure about the decision. I like the idea of having everything on the m.2 though. This will be a tight build so the less cables I have to deal with, the better.

I might forego the blu ray burner. I just threw that in there because there's a space for it in the case. Admittedly, I will probably never use it.

I also already have a copy of windows 10 as well.

I've thought about waiting until December for kaby lake and the new chipset that will come with it, but I'm a little weary of adopting a new technology like that. It bit me in the ass in the past with sandy bridge. Also, that's four months away... Might be nice to build now while the cpus are starting to get a little cheaper.
>>
>>56329352
20 years ago a 3D card simply could not draw more than 15W. Your link show them sucking up 200-400W, more than an entire high end computer would. CPUs were also a lot more friendly to your electricity bill. With many sitting at less than 30W.

Back then undervolted desktop chips were good enough for laptop use.

It became cheap to make power hungry and overpowered parts, so to one-up the competition, everyone started throwing more watts and their chips to get better scores on a benchmark.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px)
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>look at part list every few days
>keeps getting more expensive
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/x6dbKZ
>>
>>56329694
I don't get it, there's plenty of mATX cases, I'm getting a 350D.
There's less motherboard and chipset options for sure but I see plenty of cases
>>
>>56329694
>but it looks like there aren't any micro-atx cases
Then you haven't been looking hard enough
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?N=100007583%20600006305&IsNodeId=1&Submit=ENE
https://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A572238%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A3606145011
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cases-and-modding/pc-cases/micro-itx-nuc/micro-atx-cases

>Mini-itx motherboards put the m.2 slot on the back of the mobo, where not much air flow happens
It's not as significant as an issue that you think it is because putting an M.2 right beneath your GPU's massive heatsink is probably worse. If you really care about throttling, then you won't be using the native ports on any motherboard on the market and using an adapter card that has mounting holes for a heatsink.

Also, Kaby Lake is not new generation for this node. That would be Skylake, Kaby Lake is almost certainly what Devil's Canyon was for Haswell.
>>
File: read a book.jpg (65KB, 566x480px) Image search: [Google]
read a book.jpg
65KB, 566x480px
>>56329712
>Your link show them sucking up 200-400W, more than an entire high end computer would
>>>>>>>>>>Total System Power Consumption in Watts
>>
>>56329694
And if you do go ITX, make sure your graphics card fits and it's well cooled. The biggest problem of ITX is cooling
>>
>>56329694
get regular SSD instead. MUCH cheaper and less trouble. every modern case will have a mounting bracket.
Fast RAM is a meme unless you use databases.
Check out some coolers from Scythe, they have good low profile ones.
Do you really need a DVD drive? You can do everything with a USB stick these days.
Are you set on that type of chassi case cus there are some other ITX designs that's less wide/long but a little thicker/fatter instead. Also have you check to see if your GPU fits in the case?

rest looks good.

>>56329795
This. There are plenty of mATX cases.

>>56329712
Your whole argument falls apart because you are ignoring the change in performance. Learn what perf/watt means.

We already hit max power consumption. New hardware is becoming more powerful while staying at the same level of power consumption, or even using less power while still being more powerful.

How many fucking times do i have to tell you this?
>>
>>56329820
He's talking about this guys 400w GPUs >>56328493
>>
>>56329460
Fug
X2 is a dualchip with hbm?
Fury successor sounds expensive..
>>
>>56329863
>Fast RAM is a meme unless you use databases
Not anymore. Skylake's memory controller does magic with higher-clocked memory that actually improves performance in many applications, including many current games. I'd still wait for DDR4 prices and latencies to start dropping before investing in a higher frequency stick.
>>
>>56329905
No, it's just two RX 480s smashed onto a single board. They did this with some mid-range Radeon cards back when Radeon was still owned by ATi.
>>
>>56328897
>>56329006
Is buying a 400w unit enough for a i5 6600k + RX 480? Don't worry, it's a quality unit (be quiet straight power 10) and I'm considering that rather than a lower-end 500w.
>>
>>56329950
One:
Are you going over overclock/overvolt either the CPU or GPU?
Two:
If so, how far are you willing to push the two?
>>
>>56329888
No, we're talking about the anandtech chart. The dude doesnt know how to read.

>>56329913
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/8
>>
>quad core
>2016
Lel,poorcucks
>>
>>56329977
Ram is good but for non gaming things wtf
>>
>>56329933
Ew yeah I remember some 3870 x2 4870 x2 pro duoand 295 x2 never bothered about them much... Do they run better than sli? From what I remember they just use much power and perform as one in poor optimised games.
>>
>>56329795
>>56329818
Thanks for showing me those cases. I do remember coming across those. I wonder why all micro-atx cases are cube shaped like that. Surface area is a bit of a premium in my room so they don't do me much better than a mid tower. I've thought about waiting for that dan-case to come out, but again, I don't want to wait 4 months, and I don't know if I want to spend that sort of money on so much nothing.

>>56329863
>get regular SSD instead. MUCH cheaper and less trouble
What do you mean "less trouble"?
>Fast RAM is a meme unless you use databases.
As a matter of fact I do use databases.
>Check out some coolers from Scythe, they have good low profile ones.
I built a computer with a scythe low profile cooler. It was a bit of a nightmare. Though in scythe's defense, the cooler was half covered by the cd rom drive with maybe a millimeter of clearance and it was cooling a hot running amd cpu in a small dusty htpc case. Still leaves a sort of bad taste in my mouth, though.

>>56329823
My graphics card is a 'EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SSC GAMING ACX 2.0+', so it runs nice and cool and will fit in the case.
>>
Hi guys

I need to get a short term laptop to last me the next 2-3 years. I'm looking at a $200 refurb HP EliteBook 8460P, intel i5 processor with 2.5 ghz, 8 GB RAM. I basically only surf the web, program, and play basic games like Civ. I know hardware specs have slowed down in the last 5 years too. Do you think it'll be enough?

Thanks
>>
>>56329974
>One:
Not in the beginning, but yes, I will overclock the i5 6600k. I'll probably leave the RX 480 at its 'stock' clock (as in what the aftermarket card clocks it at).

>Two
Probably something conventional I guess. I often hear 4.6ghz being thrown around. Most online calculators say an i5 6600k and RX 480 at their max TDP is still well under 400w.
>>
>>56329991
You can buy used six core Sandy bridge Xeons for 150€...
>>
>>56329977
>http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/8
>DDR4-2133
And a pair at 3200MHz actually extends the lead in applications and games that are affected by memory bandwidth.
>>
>>56330028
>Do they run better than sli?
No, they might increase the overall FPS average (in Crossfire-supported games only), but at the expense of latencies between each rendered frame. This also causes a choppier overall experience because the FPS can fluctuate significantly over time.
SLI is also shit, but because it's unnecessary and is becoming unsupported.
>>
>>56330031
>What do you mean "less trouble"?
you dont have to worry about the location of the connector like you mentioned.

>As a matter of fact I do use databases.
then you can make good use of faster ram, keep them or maybe even get even faster if you can afford.

>It was a bit of a nightmare. Though in scythe's defense, the cooler was half covered
yeah that could cause issues. the one i'm thinking about (big shuriken) has good reviews.

>I wonder why all micro-atx cases are cube shaped like that
to fit a regular ATX power supply and regular sized graphics cards mostly. some have one bigger fan intake.

>>56330053
>intel i5 processor with 2.5 ghz
which generation and model?

>>56330069
provide a source please
>>
>>56329820
That is still a lot higher than the 120W peak of 15-20 years ago. And that number was measured using a 15-20 year old 300W ATX power supply.

System I used to measure has a CUSL2, Coppermine 1GHz, 133 MHz SD RAM. One HDD. One GeForce 256 DDR, and 2x Voodoo 2 in SLI, Vortex 2 compatible sound card.

It idles at 70W with that old power supply.

Would probably need a APU or a system with a GTX 750 Ti to get that kind of power consumption, and computers with that kind of components aren't exactly considered high end. Tho they can be pretty nice for general use and games.
>>
>>56329863
You've only told me once. But your stance seem kinda BS to me tho. perf/w would still be huge compared to those mid 90s early 00s computers even when you used components that were a lot more power efficient. See GTX 750 Ti. Bus powered card. When paired with a lower powered CPU, you could get a power consumption more like the computers of the late 90s.

It's the high end that's gone batshit insane with their 60-140W CPUs and 150-300W graphics cards. And you kinda need those if you enjoy games at higher framerates and higher settings.
>>
File: performance_per_watt_intel.gif (17KB, 427x324px) Image search: [Google]
performance_per_watt_intel.gif
17KB, 427x324px
>>56330135
>this fucking guy
>>
>>56330209
>Performance[MHz]
It's Traysh, It's all Traysh!
>>
>>56330196
>Titan XP, a real 4K card, can play any game maxed at 60+ FPS
>Reccommended PSU: 600w
>>
>>56330131

2.5GHz Core i5-2520M

dual core
>>
>>56330209
What makes you think I deny the performance per watt increase? I'm commenting on how ridiculous the need for 500W power supplies is. Even the RPI and similar devices can show a perf/w increase with each generation.

200-300W was more than good enough for the high end around the turn of the century, now 500W is just good enough for one.

To get peak performance in 2000, you'd see 120W drawn from the wall, now you see 400W.

Ofc. the perf/w has increased, and that's great. What's a shame is that the overall power consumption also increased. It's great that these new graphics cards shows a lot more finesse in their power consumption. Consumes less, but shows a great increase in performance.
>>
>>56330311
And a 1070 pulls half the max wattage of a Titan X, so SLI would be fine (even though SLI is not just double power)
>>
File: youdensemotherfucker.jpg (6KB, 166x121px) Image search: [Google]
youdensemotherfucker.jpg
6KB, 166x121px
>>56330135
>>56330196
>>56330331
>gtx 1080 uses 100W less than a R9 390X but is 40% faster
>this is just over 2 years

>intel's latest generation is 10% faster than the last generation while keeping the same or lower power consumption
>20% faster and lower power consumption than 2 generations ago
>also just 2 years progress

and stop with your fucking 20 year old bullshit, it's no relevant because of the way the tech has developed.

take a gtx 950 for example list every older generation card with the same performance and look at how much power it consumed.

>>56330317
it should be ok
>>
>>56330331
>What's a shame is that the overall power consumption also increased.
IT STOPPED INCREASING YEARS AGO YOU RETARDED FUCK
>>
File: build.png (110KB, 1178x799px) Image search: [Google]
build.png
110KB, 1178x799px
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/phdv3F

I've updated the cooler to something that seems to be generally recommended for this tiny case, and removed the blu ray drive. Other than that, same as >>56329694

One thing I am thinking about doing is putting the case on its side and putting a monitor on top of it, sort of like what they did in the olden days. It would save be a bunch of room, and the case comes with feet so airflow on the bottom wouldn't be a problem. However, the base of my monitor would probably take up half of the vent on the right/top side of the case. Should I expect that to cause issues? I don't think this case has any fans in it other than the ones in the psu, gpu and cpu. If it is an issue, I can always put it upright I guess.

I've debated going with silverstone's sfx-l cooler, but would 500w be enough? I'm also a little worried, as I hear the fan in that thing has rattling problems, which seems counter intuitive given that the point of the sfx-l form factor is to run quieter due to the bigger fan.
>>
>>56330389
Pentium 100 MHz was a 10W chip. 85W is more common for an i3-i7 now. I mention 20 years since that's how technology developed over the years. I think it is a bad development, but as you can see at >>56330331 I did mention it was great how new stuff seems to consume less than parts from 2 years ago. I still think there is a long way to go.

Sounds like you're still on your perf/w train with your GTX 950 comment. I never denied the perf/w increase. I think perf/w have been mishandled. Instead of making parts that consumed little and performed great, they made parts that consumed a lot and performed even better. They made hot chips that need giant loud coolers. They're so heavy they start to sag. The cards occupies one slot in your computer, but also blocks the use of its closest neighbour. You probably don't need 7 expansion slots, but losing 2 out of 4 (instead of 1 out of 4) in an mATX system sucks.
>>
>>56330504
Stopped increasing years ago doesn't mean there wasn't a huge increase since the early 00s.

Your counter argument does seem rather juvenile tho. I guess you never grew up with those old systems.

There also was a time when a _smart phone_ had a battery life of 5-10 days, not 1-2 days.
>>
>>56330533
>putting the case on its side and putting a monitor on top of it
make sure the side panel is strong enough if your monitor stand does not go all the way across so it rests mostly on the corners.
you could try rotating the case to get the vent in another position.
dont buy old generation GPUs.

>>56330607
are you for real? stop ignoring everything we're telling you.
everything you have said is wrong.
power consumption is not going up every fucking generation. it stopped doing that over 5 years ago.
look at some real fucking numbers instead of pulling shit out of your fucking ass.

>>56330665
the early 00s is irrelevant. the only juvenile here is you since you keep dismissing and outright ignoring everything everyone is telling you.

and smartphones is another discussion in itself (BATTERIES), stop trying to connect two points that have nothing to do with each other you retarded fuck.

you're using fallacy after fallacy in all your posts.
>>
>>56330607
But the higher performance per watt designs that start with the high-power parts are also used in the cheaper lower-performance stuff.

>>56330665
It lasted that long because mobile data was expensive and slow, so you didn't want to use it much.
>>
>>56330721
>dont buy old generation GPUs.
That 960 has been floating around in my house for a while. I would never buy a 960 today.
>>
>>56330721
>power consumption is not going up every fucking generation. it stopped doing that over 5 years ago.
I never said it did. I said it had gone up since the mid 90s / early 00s. And it's gone up a lot. Stop ignoring everything I've been telling you. :)

I also mentioned a few times that (this might be the third time) that it is great how these new cards consume less than similarly priced and tiered cards from the generation before them.

The early 00s and late 90s shows that you can still have high performance desktop computers without needing a 500W power supply. Don't you think it would be great if current high end parts would run fine with something like a Seasonic G-360?

Phones are relevant tho. Manufacturers shove more power hungry parts in a smaller space, but the battery remains the same. Resulting in a huge hit to your overall battery life.

>>56330744
Yes. It is a shame intel and nvidia gimp those slower components for features tho. Would be great to have the option to make a SLI GTX 750 Ti system, or just desktop tier quad core pentium processors. Dual CPU Celeron system used to be a thing for a while (tho not exactly "approved" by intel). This has more to do with jewing than power consumption I think.

I like you. You seem like someone people enjoy talking to.
>>
File: pc.png (71KB, 1171x575px) Image search: [Google]
pc.png
71KB, 1171x575px
Revised my build, still look overpriced for the performance somehow...
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/v3kzf8
>>
File: 1464818910979.gif (2MB, 340x227px) Image search: [Google]
1464818910979.gif
2MB, 340x227px
>>56330903
>Don't you think it would be great if current high end parts would run fine with something like a Seasonic G-360?
They will in a few years.

>Phones are relevant tho. Manufacturers shove more power hungry parts in a smaller space
because consumers want it.
>but the battery remains the same
because battery tech is not progressing at the same speed as microprocessors.

>>56330936
>Pentium G3258
>LGA 1150
nigga what are you doing
>>
File: Part of the Build.png (105KB, 1213x897px) Image search: [Google]
Part of the Build.png
105KB, 1213x897px
Swapping the 1080 for the XP most likely using Intel BXSTS200C as my cooling options, case is a Haf-X. This is my overkill 4K streaming/mining idea atm bought the case/storage already tempted to up the Xeons to E5-2630 v4s or the 40s maybe
>>
>>56330936
Was going to suggest a cheaper case, but those don't include a power supply I guess.

I guess that's the bare minimum if you wan't a discrete graphics card I guess.

How about a 7200RPM drive? or a 3.5" drive if those fit in that case. 5400RPM 2.5" drives can be painfully slow. The ones I've used have been at least.

As >>56330964 might be trying to suggest. Would an LGA1151 system be more expensive?

>>56330964
I think consumers can be pretty retarded too sometimes. They come in to the store I work in wanting to return their 6 months old iPhone 6S because the battery only last half a day, complaining about it being broken. Looking at the battery usage, there are lots of shit like snapchat eating up 70-80% of the battery.

They don't realise their usage pattern and "hardware requirements" is the issue, not the battery. The phone isn't broken. Not the way they want it to be at least. These people think getting a new iPhone 6S will improve things. It is also strange how these people spend 700 dollars on a phone, but only get the cheapest crap 350 dollar laptop.
>>
File: image.jpg (52KB, 750x701px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52KB, 750x701px
>>56331011
>Dual xeons
>Dual PCIe SSDs with a lone HDD
>streaming
You definitely don't have enough cores
>>
>>56331011
Why not get 2 XPs at that price
>>
>>56331070
I have a RAID storage array in my other box...
>>56331091
I'm a fan of single GPU personally.
>>
>>56330964
>nigga what are you doing
Are those not compatible with each other or are they too weak?
If its the later then I am actually fine with that, I have been gaming with a sandy i3 and according to cpuboss g3258 is a tad better than that cpu.

>>56331064
Some anon suggested that case and I really liked it so I am building a PC using that case. There's actually room for bigger card in case I want to upgrade in the future
And what are some 7200RPM 2.5 drive that is not much more expensive than the one in the list?
>>
>>56331221
they are compatible, but it's outdated socket and shit tier performance.

you're basically paying extra for nothing just because it's old and is in low supply.

hold on ill make a build for you...
>>
>>56331133
Like that m2 drive is almost reasonable, it's a nice little internal stickeroo, but a fucking $700 800GB drive is stupid, along with a raid setup and a fucking seagate HDD. Get a fatass sata6 SSD with half that money, stick your raid setup in there, and MAYBE get the M2 drive for heavy read/write bandwidth (the main advantage over sata)
But of course you need at least 3 xeons
>>
File: image.png (97KB, 201x201px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
97KB, 201x201px
>>56331011
>his ram is only 2133MHz
>>
>>56331333
>>56331221
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/yfzC6X
>>
I bought a third 120mm case fan for my NZXT S340. I don't see any compatible screws that came with either the case or the fan itself.

Do I need to go to the hardware store and buy some? Or am I just retarded and not seeing something?
>>
>>56330903
Good thing you're future proofing and not past proofing
>>
>>56331333
>>56331437
Thanks, that actually look pretty good. Although I prefer to have a big HDD and dual-channel RAM so I may replace them, that looks like it will work nicely
>>
File: screwslabels.jpg (473KB, 1023x709px) Image search: [Google]
screwslabels.jpg
473KB, 1023x709px
>>56331479
you should have gotten a few with the case, if not get one of these boxes
>>
>>56331570
You should really get a different then because 2.5" HDDs are shit.
Single/dual channel RAM makes no difference for the average user.
>>
>>56331570
>>56331624
Yeah laptop HDDs aren't that good, and that's not a horribly priced SSD. If you could fit a 3.5" id say big fat HDD it up but SSD is probably the better option here
>>
>>56331624
>>56331679
Alright I will get a 3.5 HDD first
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339
Thanks for the help, guys!
>>
>>56331570
>>56331826
You can't fit a 3.5" drive in the case you chose.

Check out the case in this list:
>http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZBCgbj

Apart from the case I'd highly recommend getting that CPU and GPU too. Spending a little bit more money from the start means it will last a lot longer and save you money in the long run.
>>
>>56331862
>You can't fit a 3.5" drive in the case you chose.
I looked around and people said they can actually fit 3.5 drives into that case, at least 1
>>
>>56331597
I'm dumb and realized I dropped the packet of screws on the ground. That is a good suggestion though. I might buy an (empty) one of those just to have around.
>>
File: inb4geti5.png (521KB, 1071x1106px) Image search: [Google]
inb4geti5.png
521KB, 1071x1106px
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/G69yKZ

RICER AESTHETIC
POWER PATHETIC

I have no money but I must game
>>
>>56332033
>AMD
>deepcool
>ocz
just dont
>>
>>56332087
I already ordered most of it, did I fuck up?
>>
File: GentooMachine.png (83KB, 1329x802px) Image search: [Google]
GentooMachine.png
83KB, 1329x802px
Glaring issues?
>>
>>56332142
big time.

>>56332155
Cooler is way sub-par for your budget.
>>
>>56332033
that looks awful anon. Your're spending money in all the wrong places and cheaping out where you shouldn't.
>>
>>56332175
Yeah, I wasn't sure what the standards/requirements are for a cooler so was just guessing based off logical increments. Is something like http://pcpartpicker.com/product/wjmLrH/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu12s a better choice?
>>
>>56332281
NH-D14 or NH-D15 is always a sure bet if you want something reliable and super cool and quiet and can afford it.
There's also Cryorig H7 which has really good reviews and is an alternative to Noctua.
Phanteks, BeQuiet and Scythe also has some good coolers but I dont know which models exactly.

Check out some comparisons/reviews:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/?category=CPU+Coolers&manufacturer=&editorschoice=1&recommended=1&pp=100&order=score
>>
File: Build01.jpg (141KB, 1146x707px) Image search: [Google]
Build01.jpg
141KB, 1146x707px
How is it?
>>
>>56332495
please include total price in screencap next time

Looks good apart from OC RAM and you can get a 2TB drive for almost the same price.
maybe get a slightly better case too with sound dampening and dust filters.
Up the PSU another 100W if you're going to OC both GPU and CPU.
>>
>>56332454
Thanks
>>
File: t2.jpg (87KB, 838x546px) Image search: [Google]
t2.jpg
87KB, 838x546px
>>56332175
>>56332271
too late now...
>>
So can you still get pirated Windows 7 from somewhere or what do I do with my new computer about that?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (73KB, 659x422px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
73KB, 659x422px
Rate, please
>>
>>56333058
Next time don't act like a child and have some fucking patience
>>
>>56332033
>mouse and keyboard combined worth essentially the same amount as the graphics card

Are you kidding me? This is a joke right? Why spend (relatively) so much money on things that barely effect user experience (keyboard mouse, even monitor to some extent) and proceed to buy shit-tier internal components?
>>
If I want to overclock my i5 6600k and have a MSI 1070 gaming z. Will a Seasonic s12ii 620w 80+ Bronze psu be fine?
>>
>>56333058
you should be able to return it depending on your country's consumer laws regarding online purchase. you'll probably have to pay shipping tho.

let it be a lesson.

>>56333169
i already answered you in the other thread. you're fine.
go check anandtech cpu and gpu benchmarks if you dont believe me.

>>56333212
Absolutely. What PSU do you have right now?
>>
>>56333212
Yes, anything over 600w is for dual gpus or more power demanding setups
>>
>>56333243
Sorry, hadn't checked the thread. Thanks for the feedback.
>>
Did it already arrive? Can you cancel the order before it's in?
>>
>>56333243
>Absolutely. What PSU do you have right now?

I'm in the process of ordering everything right now so I don't have one. I'm a little new so I was just wondering if I was going to have any issues since I was able to get it for 49.99.

>>56333257
Alright sounds good. Thank you.
>>
>>56333329
that's a really good price. buy it!
>>
What's a good case for first time builders?

I've worked on my share of machines but never built one. From what I've seen cable management is the true challenge.
>>
>>56333411
most cases $80+ have decent cable management these days. i know corsair and fractal are good from personal experience, but there are of course alternatives.
i recommend watching video reviews where they put hardware into the case and show the cable management for any case you find interesting (just check some of the internal images to make sure it has cable management holes in the first place so you dont waste your time).

Also, modular power supplies is a gift from the gods.
>>
>>56333411
Depends how big you want it. Cooler Master Haf-X will fit any board size prettymuch and has good airflow (hence being part of the haf series)
>>
File: Entry Level.jpg (109KB, 848x593px) Image search: [Google]
Entry Level.jpg
109KB, 848x593px
Any thoughts on PCPartPicker's entry level build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/guide/P2YcCJ/entry-level-gaming-build

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/CzMmr7
>>
It's been about six years since I built my PC, and I haven't upgraded any parts (except buying more storage and an SSD).

My PC was built around the i5-2500k and a 7850 GPU, and I'm looking to upgrade the latter. Would the GTX 950 be a step up, or is it about the same?
>>
>>56327712
That cooler on that cpu is a waste.
You should get a single 8GB stick so you can dual channel later, 16GB ram is becoming relevant.
That PSU is ridiculous. Hope your not planning on SLI.
>>
>>56333458
>CM HAF
i told every nigger it was shit when it first came out and it's still shit compared to almost every alternative in the same price range.

>no dust filters
>lacking cable routing holes
>no rubber grommits on the few holes that exist
>transformers looking piece of shit for 10 year olds

>>56333475
no point getting old generation graphics unless you buy used and for cheap.

Get a 1060 if you're a fanboy.
RX 480 if you dont want give extra shekels to nvidia jews for features you can get for free from AMD.
Also Nvidia dont have DX12 support yet.
2500k is still a decent CPU. OC it when you get the new GPU.
>>
>>56333454
>>56333458

Thanks I'll check out some videos and the Haf case. I was planning on modular to keep things clean.

Do the cases come with fans on them or do I need to buy those? They dont seem to say. I see a lot of cases advertise all sorts of fan configurations... I'm just nervous about screwing up my cables and airflow etc.
>>
>>56333589
I can't remember the count off the top of my head but yes it comes with most of them i think one of the top fans arnt stock it should say in any review videos
>>
>>56333589
All cases come with at least 1 or 2 but will have several empty slots for more, it should say in the specs how many fans are installed and how many free slots it has.
>>
>>56333589
I would recommend the corsair spec series if you are planing to go modular it's even better already comes with dust filters and the cable management isn't that difficult.
>>
Some of you need to see this. Its old but pretty informative.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiWThqgFfI4

>>56333589
I have a Haf 912 in my garage and the air flow is no joke, with 2x200mm fans cold air goes in and cold air comes out.
But it does look like shit and the cable management is shit. I ended up lining mine with noise padding.
Also with the 912 you cant remove the DVD drive caddy which looks like shit. The low end Corsair ones are a better pick in my opinion.

I'm currently using a phanteks P400s and I'm really liking it.
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/CxWBbj
gonna do some light gaming and content creation, already bought the parts. what does /g/ think.
>>
>>56333789
Bretty gud might change the ram with a 2gb one for more stability ;)
>>
>>56333789
Looks good but lacks poptarts

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mp66r7
Rate please
(ignore 1kw psu) I can't decide between IPS panel or the TN so I need advice on whether or not I need gsync.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (41KB, 637x516px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
41KB, 637x516px
PCPartPicker won't let me put everything in/I don't know what to put in (like for RAM).

I bought it as is, what should I upgrade first if I'm looking for best gaming quality (mostly CSGO and Rocket League).

Also I'm on a budget so if it's good as is say so.
>>
>>56333825
gsync
>>
>>56333825
>http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mp66r7
Im being picky but swap to quad channel ddr4, get a smaller PSU since your way to low for 1000W try a 800W max, you could get by with smaller. Barracuda Seagates aren't worth the risk if you value your data i'd swap it out for a higher quality seagate hhd. You can skip the optical drive and boot install the OS via USB. WiFi in a tower baka. With all that saving I'd pick up an M2 SSD totally worth it for your OS and a couple frequent programs.
>>
>>56333825
What is it for?

Get a better CPU cooler holy shit.
Do you really need DVD reader?
Get a better mobo with built in WIFI, you'll get better OC from it too thanks to better MOSFETS and power phases.
Dont buy Logishit speakers.
Does your programs make use of the faster RAM?
Personally that case looks disgusting and the cable management options seem bad. Get something like a Define R5 with sound dampening and dust filters and better cable holes.
See if there's a 4x8GB kit instead of buying two 2x8GB kits, they have been tested to work together with better results.
On your budget I'd get a GTX 1080 aswell.
>>
>>56333928
Elaborate, please

>>56333936
I don't think I fully understand; why quad channel? The PSU is a meme and should just be ignored but thank you. I read about the barracuda seagates, are they really that unreliable?
And I need the optical drive to burn dvds/blurays. And yeah I need muh wifi since i'm too lazy to run an ethernet cord to the office.
>>
>>56333243
I'm going to keep it and use it.
>>56333179
I was buying it anyways, I did the research. I know what I did.
>>56333208
It was bought mainly on looks, the guts will go in a different case when the next line of cpu's come out. I will be using the keyboard and mouse more than I will be needing a powerful gpu.

It's going to be gleaming white and blue and glorious.
>>
>>56333963
>What is it for?
Shit posting, gaming and processing video.

The Cryorig H7 has good reviews and should be sufficient enough for some OC right?
>Do you really need a DVD reader?
Yes
Recommend me a better mobo; this entire build is based off of logical increments, mostly.
>Logishit
The speakers should be fine

As for the case I've had it forever and I'd like to finally use it so I might as well save some money in the mean time.
1080 is way out of budget desu with only 15% more power to 50% more money.
>>
>>56333987
Yeah, they have pretty high failure rates compared to their other lines. >>56333963
As he said dual channel x 2 is not tested as a batch and you may see small decreases in performance. Your bottle necking yourself with WiFi if you don't go buy a third party one. + Even a lazy mans 50ft Cat5e or 6 run would be more stable.
>>
>>56334049
They have quad channel for the same ram so I'll just go with that then.
The second part of your statement I don't understand. 50ft Cat5e? Sorry, I'm a retard.
>>
>>56334031
DONT overclock its a meme and trap that isn't worth while (In the long run). OC will degrade your performance over time look up silicon voltage decay.
>>
>>56333789
Not shooting it down or anything, I just don't understand. Whats the idea of the GTX 480 3-way?
>>
>>56334072
Will do more research on this, thanks.
Keep it coming guys I need all the advice I can get.
>>
>>56334067
cat5e or cat6 is ethernet cable...
>>
File: botnet pc.png (37KB, 660x525px) Image search: [Google]
botnet pc.png
37KB, 660x525px
rate
>inb4 memebotnet
>>
>>56334083
Oh right. Yeah I'm retarded I told you.
>>
>>56334080
forgot to mention turbo boost on Intel chips is fine just voltage OCing is bad
>>
>>56333874
That will run it I would think. Think my little bro still has my 550ti.
>>
>>56334088
Your monitor setup tilts me
>>
>>56334125
>Your monitor setup tilts me
is weird, but the 19:9 one was free :D
>>
>>56334072
fuck off, retard. by the time any OC has degraded the chip even 1% it will be time for an upgrade anyway.

>>56334031
I'd suggest something like this:
>http://pcpartpicker.com/list/MWrW4C

>>56334080
Dont listen to that guy. He doesnt know what he's talking about. OCing is safe and wont degrade your hardware at all as long as you dont go full retard and raise the voltage too high and have good cooling.
>>
File: i7.jpg (21KB, 400x360px) Image search: [Google]
i7.jpg
21KB, 400x360px
i'm thinking about building a PC (normally buy pre built)

my current PC has an i7 2600 (not 2600k). Should I keep that for my new PC or is there a cheap upgrade available? I wanna skimp on the CPU if you guys think an i7 2600 is better than whatever cheap CPU is available.
>>
>>56334153
It depends on your build cycle and active usage. For example my setup is folding and mining 24/7 and my upgraded cycle is 5 years with gpu upgrades intermittently. If your gonna swap chips every year fine OC who cares. you will see a degradation no matter what you do if you OC. Amazing cooling or no.
>>
File: kek_.png (199KB, 256x305px) Image search: [Google]
kek_.png
199KB, 256x305px
>>56334219
post speccy

>>56334238
>OCing means you have to upgrade every year because degradation
are you for real?
>>
>>56334270
im not on my desktop and im using linux so cant show speccy but its a dell pc with a dell motherboard so other than cpu and ram nothing is usable.
>>
>>56334284
i7 2600 is still OK, you should only need a new GPU.
>>
When I look at screws in OP pic, it looks to me as if they are bent.
Is something wrong with me?
>>
>>56334153
>I'd suggest something like this:
Thanks. I forgot I could dual channel 16gb of ram instead of trying to find a mobo that supported quad channel which was impossible to find?
The noctua is so ugly. Is it really worth it?
And I'll switch HDDs to that thanks.
>>
>>56334325
>The noctua is so ugly. Is it really worth it?
Yes, but there are alternatives. Give me a few minutes and I'll find some.

>a mobo that supported quad channel which was impossible to find
that's because there are no socket 1151 motherboards with quad channel ram support. you have to go socket 2011-v3 for that. more expensive mobos and more expensive CPU, but it might be worth it if you do professional rendering. if not stick with socket 1151.

Also you should google your application to check some benchmarks to see if faster RAM makes any difference.
>>
Noob question:

if i have a PC with a HDD and it has windows on it and all my files can I put that HDD on a brand new PC and still boot windows?
>>
>>56334391
You would have to find your product key and reactive windows. When too many components change, such as replacing a whole pc in this situation, windows would need to be reactivated. Nevertheless, yes, windows will boot.
>>
>>56334376
>>56334325
Here's 3 alternative CPU coolers:
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?CompareItemList=574%7C35%2D856%2D028%5E35%2D856%2D028%2C35%2D709%2D011%5E35%2D709%2D011%2C35%2D709%2D001%5E35%2D709%2D001

>>56334391
Yes but it's recommended you reinstall Windows to make sure drivers and such dont cause any problems.

Backup your videos, pictures and documents on an external drive, usb stick or a free cloud service from Microsoft or Mega.
>>
>>56334376
I think I might just stick with the H7. The noctua seems a bit big and I'm worried it won't fit in my case even though it's full sized.
>>
>>56334442
Full/mid tower doesnt matter for the CPU cooler, only the width of the case. And it will fit the case you picked and the one i recommended (pcpartpicker will tell you if it's not).

The H7 is also a good cooler, keep it if you like it, but check the alternatives i posted first to see if there's something that catches your eye (they are a bit better than the H7).
>>
>>56334485
Thanks I appreciate it. I looked at your list and might just stick with the H7.

One last thing: Should I get an IPS or TN panel? Both at 2k 144hz but the TN has gysnc and the IPS does not. Both the same price at $550. How much should I worry about screen tearing and shit?
>>
File: new stuff.png (30KB, 1146x266px) Image search: [Google]
new stuff.png
30KB, 1146x266px
H-How'd I do /pcbg/
>>
>>56334485
Also why recommend the Asus ROG Maximus? Would it really be better than the Z170 pro gaming? Would the wifi be better than the adapter?
>>
>>56334504
At 144hz tearing shouldnt be a problem.
If you work a lot with colors I'd get the IPS panel.
If you play a lot of games gsync is nice.

>>56334529
It's a good mobo but a bit overkill. This mobo would suite your better:
>http://pcpartpicker.com/product/hNqbt6/msi-motherboard-z170atomahawkac
Not sure if the Wifi is better, but the ASUS ROG is a lot better for overclocking and has other features, so I basically took the money for the wifi card and put on a better mobo that also had wifi.
It also free up space in your case and doesnt take up a slot on your mobo if you get wifi built in.
>>
>>56334581
I think I would appreciate the colors over gsync even though I play 50 hours of games a week.
>>
>>56334581
Anyway, thanks again for all your help. I greatly appreciate it.
After changing my build about a million times I can safely say I'm dead set on it now.
>>
>>56334662
There are 3 with both IPS and Gsync but they're over $200 more than an IPS without Gsync (that's nvidia jews for you).

http://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&H=120,240&p=1&A=1&sort=a8&page=1
>>
>>56334684
Alright no problem. Good luck!

BTW can I see your final list?
>>
>>56334693
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/GNxtnn
I'm gonna stick with the same mobo and dedicated network adapter because muh wifi.
and I'll take my chances with the seagate.
>>
Halloween build
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/FDQBjc
>>
>>56334710
Don't worry Seagate being shit is a meme

But I really hope you're not going to pay full price for Win10 anon
>>
>>56334754
I want a disk of win10
w-where do I get it cheaper?
inb4 pirate
>>
>>56334764
>I want a disk of win10
Why do you specifically want it on a DVD ?
>>
>>56334788
I like DVDs
>>
>>56334791
Why ?
>>
>>56334791
+physical copies are goat
>>
>>56334764
You can buy grey-market keys (kind of illegal) from places like Kinguin or r/microsoftsoftwareswap. You download an ISO from MS onto a mem stick then activate it using the key. I don't know where you'd be able to buy a disk from for cheap though.
>>
>>56334821
nty
also if youre the same guy I replied to, you ever had problems with QC on asus monitors?
>>
>>56334832
helper dude here (im not the guy you replied to just now).

no idea but i would get asus over acer any day.
>>
windows 10 crack where

Sick of seeing "Activate Windows"
>>
What's the best cpu compatible with a msi z97s (krait edition) and ddr3 RAM for gaming? Or should i just upgrade everything and go ddr4
>>
>>56334856
Your opinion is greatly appreciated.
>>
>>56334861
>the best...
>...for gaming
It depends on what exactly you mean by this, but either 4690k or 4790k.
>>
>>56334860
MDL forums.

>>56334861
Depends on what parts you already have.
RAM speed doesnt matter for gaming.
4790k is the best for socket 1150.
>>
>>56334736
>Halloween build
Well it is scary to look at. Absolutely tasteless.
>>56334764
Don't listen to these criminally poorfags. Buy a legit copy.
>>
File: specs.jpg (38KB, 708x491px) Image search: [Google]
specs.jpg
38KB, 708x491px
>>56334884
>>56334920
My current build.
>>
>>56334736
212 evo is better cooler.
ram is full retard.
rosewill housefire
stay away from anything asrock that does not have "extreme 4" or higher number in the name
>>
I know this might not be the perfect thread for this but is anyone here familiar with the reliability of 2.5 inch HDDs in comparison to 3.5inch ones? Particularly enterprise or NAS-rated.

I'm thinking of making building a tiny NAS. Having trouble locating information though.
>>
>>56335007
A 4690k will do you wonders.
If you want to stream your gameplay, a 4790k will do you better. 4690k can manage this too, but 4790k is better at it.

Both of these will make a good upgrade. But whichever one you pick, get a decent cooler along with it and overclock the thing. At the very least a Hyper 212 EVO or whatever the most recent version of that thing is called.
>>
>>56335007
dont upgrade until next year

>>56335021
are there even 2.5" enterprise/nas drives?

even regular 3.5" consumer drives dont even come close to enterprise drive's reliability.

stay away from 2.5" HDDs unless you absolutely need one for your old shitty laptop.
>>
>>56335042
>A 4690k will do you wonders.
>basically same shit he already has with slightly higher freq.
>do wonders
not unless he OCs but it's fucking retarded to buy a new CPU for the same old fucking outdated socket at this point.
>>
File: Ukip-leader-Nigel-Farage.jpg (35KB, 615x409px) Image search: [Google]
Ukip-leader-Nigel-Farage.jpg
35KB, 615x409px
http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/KzLbKZ

r8 please
>>
i have a h440

choice between the enthoo pro, the r5, or define s.

other options are welcomed. any ideas?
>>
>>56335042
>>56335043
Fair enough and thanks for the answers. I already have a corsair H55 cooling my current cpu so I don't think I need a new cooler for now
>>
File: 1471213162579.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1471213162579.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>56335058
>Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 109.9 CFM 120mm Fan
what? say again? i cant hear you!

also you might aswell go 6600k and z170 mobo
monitor is complete garbage.
overpriced mobo
>keyboard mouse bundle
why another monitor cable when you already get one with the screen/mobo?

4/10
>>
Forgive me. But let me ask a stupid question. You guys talk a lot about computer hardware components, and how much better a newly released consumer GPU is compared to a year-old one. But you rarely talk about just exactly what component is responsible for the operations of specific activities on the computer. For example; what hardware component(s) are primarily responsible for ensuring the fastest OS startup from boot? The main hardware components are the CPU, GPU, RAM, and HD or SSD, yes? Well, what is responsible for what exactly? Is there a hard and fast rule? Can I request a nice neat breakdown of what component is responsible for specific tasks on a computer?

Can I get a breakdown something like this:
>move/copy files (HD/SSD 90%, RAM 10%, GPU 0%, CPU 0%)

>render large media files
>play super HQ video files
>record lossless screencasts without suffering frame skips
>software open/close
>computer boot/shutdown/sleep

People speak vaguely about what each component does. Like, someone will describe the CPU by saying it's the 'brain of the computer, responsible for abstract math processing'. But what the fuck does that mean in reality? Is a fast CPU crucial for rendering super HQ video, as number-crunching is important for displaying graphics? What computer task heavily relies on a good CPU? Can you get away with having a shit CPU but max out the other components? I just want to deconstruct this ambiguity and understand it better. Because currently, it just seems best to pool money into getting the best of each component because who can tell really what performance you're going to get from your computer if you got second-rate RAM.
>>
>>56335021
The only "enterprise" grade 2.5" drives you'll find are SSDs.

>>56335053
Maybe finish reading the post before you spew bullshit.
>get a decent cooler along with it and overclock the thing

You might think it's retarded to buy a new CPU for a 1 generation old socket, but what would be even more retarded is spending even more money upgrading his entire system to Skylake for a minimal increase in performance.

You know, it could also be that the knows how to buy a used CPU. And maybe has enough sense to sell his 4460 to offset the cost of an upgrade some.

It'd be something entirely different if he wanted to upgrade a 2500k to a 2700k on the same socket, but Haswell/Devil's Canyon is still relevant enough to step up from a 4460 to something that can be overclocked for a noteworthy performance increase.
>>
>>56335150
>what hardware component(s) are primarily responsible for ensuring the fastest OS startup from boot?
Hard drive / SSD.

>what is responsible for what exactly?
please google "how does a computer work".

>Can I get a breakdown something like this:
>move/copy files (HD/SSD 90%, RAM 10%, GPU 0%, CPU 0%)
no, fuck you. do your own research. this info is readily available out there if you take a fucking minute to search.

>>56335154
>Maybe finish reading the post before you spew bullshit.
like what?
>you might think it's retarded to buy a new CPU for a 1 generation old socket ... even more money upgrading his entire system to Skylake for a minimal increase in performance.
no, im saying it's retarded to spend that much money on a new cpu for a dead socket when he can just NOT upgrade at all until next year. it's fucking pointless to buy a new CPU for him when he doesnt need to.
and you said it yourself "upgrading for a minimal increase in performance" is exactly what the fuck YOU are suggesting you massive retard. going from non-k to K version of the same fucking CPU he already has is more retarded than upgrading from from last generation to the latest generation.
but it's even more retarded to upgrade at all when he doesnt have to.
>>
>>56335138
Noise doesn't really bother me too much, and I assumed I would be able to alter the fan curve if it did. Being an ITX build I also assumed it would need a decent amount of airflow, and Noctua has a good reputation.

The mobo was one of the cheapest I could find in my country that has decent reviews, and getting a 6600k, z170 mobo and aftermarket cooler would put me above my budget because I'm a filthy poorfag.
https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#sort=a8&page=1&e=31

>monitor is complete garbage
Source on that? It had decent enough reviews from where I was looking, I mainly got it for Freesync which is also why I got the DisplayPort cable, apparently Freesync needs DPort, and the monitor doesn't come with a DPort cable.

Although I was thinking of getting this monitor instead, would it be better?
https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/product/Dqqbt6/asus-monitor-vx239h

And as I said before, my budget isn't that great, I'm a student and this is my first build, plus parts are expensive over here. If you could direct me to a reasonably priced KB+M I would be eternally grateful.
>>
>>56335244
You dont want an industrial fan right next to your ear (altering the speed is a waste of time and energy):
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgInNCr2JuY
Get the regular Noctua fans instead.

Alright nvm what i said about the screen then.
But how much do you game? Consider investing in a 120Hz+ monitor if you play competitive.

You should really save up more money and get something slightly better than will last much longer and save you money in the long run.

You can skip the SSD right now and add one later easily.
Pirate Windows.
Use an old spare keyboard from anywhere and get a decent mouse and mousepad if you play competitively.
You can also save money by getting regular ATX instead of ITX, and ditch wifi for games for the love of god.
>>
>>56335058
http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/GNZrD8

poor kiwis. i'd kill myself if the prices were that fucked where i lived
>>
File: help.jpg (7KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
help.jpg
7KB, 320x320px
>>56335042
4690k + 4790k will do no different in streaming if you're not an idiot and use quicksync

anyway..

>>56335079
pic related
>>
>>56335363
It's not that bad considering currency conversion + gst (15%)
>>
>>56335397
R5 if you have many drives. S if not.

Watch video reviews and make up your own mind.
>>
>>56335426
planning on going to just M.2 drive(s) so no sata data/power cables will be necessary. not sure if i want my gpu to be running at x8 3.0 but i don't think it matters either way, at least not noticeably from what i've read.

define s seems pretty smooth and classy. probably going with that, was just looking for suggestions or things i haven't considered.
>>
>>56335194
>like what?
Like this:
>not unless he OCs
Overclocking is EXACTLY THE WHOLE GODDAMN POINT. He already has a Z97 board that supports overclocking. He doesn't have to go out and buy a new motherboard.
He even has a fucking aftermarket cooler to support his overclock already. He just doesn't have a K CPU.

And no, you fucking retard. Upgrading to a K version of a CPU is by far more cost efficient than even waiting a year and upgrading his entire system, especially considering the changes Intel are making to their roadmap starting with Skylake. The next generation will be a die shrink bringing exactly 0% performance increase over Skylake. This is only worthwhile when you're building an entire new system.
Upgrading to a K version of a CPU includes buying... A CPU. That's it. Then he can grab a used one and sell his current one if he wants to save money. At most 300 bucks and he's set, and that's assuming he doesn't buy used and doesn't sell his old one to offset the cost.
And then he'll have an overclockable CPU that happily keeps up with its Skylake equivalent, and Kaby Lake equivalent when that time comes.

Upgrading to a whole new platform ? New CPU, new motherboard, new RAM. Yeah, he can still sell his old shit to offset the cost, but then you're still looking at a more expensive upgrade for a negligible performance increase. And he won't be able to sell it as one package because no one in their right mind is going to buy a Z97 motherboard along with a non-K CPU.

>>56335397
>if you're not an idiot and use quicksync
Quicksync is a terrible encoder. Good for performance as it may be, it is shit for quality.
He could use NVENC just as well, but this also provides shitty quality compared to h.264.
>>
>>56335300
https://youtu.be/Q77KxH6raxg?t=180
This is the fan in question at full noise, though it's the 2000RPM version instead of 3000RPM, which I'll probably go with instead.

>But how much do you game? Consider investing in a 120Hz+ monitor if you play competitive.
I do game quite a bit, not really competitively though, inconsistent frames/tearing just really pisses me off. 60FPS is fine for me though.

>You should really save up more money and get something slightly better than will last much longer and save you money in the long run.
I've been waiting for a long time man, I'm kind of sick of it. You wait and wait then something new comes out and fucks everything up, I'd rather just do it as soon as possible so I don't have to game on a shitty laptop anymore.

>You can skip the SSD right now and add one later easily.
Moving the OS from one drive to another doesn't sound easy to me, but correct me on that one if it is.

>You can also save money by getting regular ATX instead of ITX, and ditch wifi for games for the love of god.
I should've put this in the original post, but my reasoning for going ITX is I need something reasonably portable, LAN parties and other things. I'd rather not lug around a honking great box and ethernet cables.
>>
>>56335539
streaming on twitch you should be doing 1080@30 or 720@60, since for non-partners your viewers might not be able to handle 1080@60. quicksync is capable of that, at the very least.

i will agree that it's pretty subpar compared to h.264 and even nvenc even though nvenc is pretty awful too.
>>
>>56335539
>implying his current CPU isnt good enough
>wasting money on a dead socket right now instead of waiting until next year and buying the latest hardware and OC that instead
fucking KYS

if he can find a used cheap CPU that would be a completely different situation.

>Upgrading to a whole new platform ? New CPU, new motherboard, new RAM
NEXT YEAR OR WHENEVER AMD OR INTEL RELEASE NEW SHIT

UNTIL THEN HE CAN KEEP HIS CURRENT CPU

THERE IS NO REASON TO UPGRADE RIGHT NOW

you stupid fuck learn to read.
>>
>>56326863
What's the cheapest not-shit 144hz monitor you can get right now? I'm in europe. Recently tried increasing refresh rate to 75 on my monitor and was amazed how much smoother it is.
>>
>>56335656
>if he can find a used cheap CPU that would be a completely different situation.
Once again apparently you can't fucking read.
>he can grab a used one and sell his current one if he wants to save money
>he can grab a used one and sell his current one if he wants to save money
>>
>>56335743
used or refurbed xl2411z and a calibrator is your best option
the vg248qe is another option but colors are way worse than the benq. i own both.

don't bother with that cheap acer garbage
>>
>>56335748
he will save more money by not upgrading at all like i told you the first fucking time

stop trying to make people waste their hard earned money you cunt.

>>56335743
http://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#H=120,240&sort=a8&page=1
>>
>>56326896

thank you
>>
>>56335574
>quicksync is capable of that, at the very least
Yes, quicksync is capable of 1080p60.
But streaming on twitch, you're also streaming at a maximum of 3500 kbps (unless you happen to be a partner), a bitrate at which quicksync and nvenc are both going to rape your viewers' eyes.
Meanwhile, a 4690k at 4.5 GHz is fast enough to manage 3500 kbps h.264 at 720p60 or 1080p30 in most games. A 4790k is roughly 20% better at h.264 encoding thanks to hyperthreading and can handle this even in the more cpu heavy games too.
Of course, 3500 kbps is still going to look like shit at anything more than 720p30, but the point remains that h.264 is the best option given enough cpu power to manage it.

>>56335767
No, you stop trying to make them waste their hard earned money with your "must have the newest flashiest shit because it's newer and flashier" bullshit.
Next year's lineup is going to bring NO PERFORMANCE INCREASE.
The current Skylake lineup having A WHOPPING 5% PERFORMANCE INCREASE OVER HASWELL.

From a price to performance standpoint, there is absolutely no fucking reason for him to upgrade to either Skylake or Kaby Lake over getting a >>>PREFERABLY USED<<< 4690k.

Three years from now we'll see another 5% performance increase. WHOA HEY LOOK THAT 4690K IS STILL GOING TO PERFORM WELL.

Do you remember how fucking long the 2500k stayed useful for ? This is the exact same story, except that Intel has now gone over to a tick tock tock scheme instead of their previous tick tock. Haswell/Devil's Canyon will stay useful for even longer than Sandy Bridge did.

>>implying his current CPU isnt good enough
Sure, a console is good enough too. But I know for a fact that the 4.5 GHz that can be easily achieved on a 4690k is a very noteworthy performance increase over 3.4 GHz, especially in CPU heavy titles like, for example, GTAV.
>>
File: 1448290541411.jpg (23KB, 450x299px) Image search: [Google]
1448290541411.jpg
23KB, 450x299px
>>56335910
>No, you stop trying to make them waste their hard earned money with your "must have the newest flashiest shit because it's newer and flashier" bullshit
jesus christ you are fucking retarded.

I said he doesnt need to upgrade yet, his CPU is still good.
I said he can wait YEARS before updgrading. THAT DOES NOT MEAN HE HAS TO UPGRADE IN TWO MONTHS IF AMD OR INTEL RELEASE SOMETHING NEW
It means he can wait until he aactually fucking needs to upgrade, when his fucking CPU starts to struggle.

YOU are telling him to spend money RIGHT NOW.
I'm telling him to WAIT UNTIL HE NEEDS TO UPGRADE.
>>
Luxurious Prime
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/QmhBjc
>>
>>56336014
You can only power one GPU with that PSU.
>>
>>56336023.
The 2nd one is just for looks.
>it has 2 6+2
>>
>>56335910
>first two sentences
that was my point desu

i'm just saying there's no difference between i5/i7 streaming if you're using quicksync. obviously the i7 is better otherwise. it's why i went with the 4790k and delidded.
>>
>>56335944
>when his fucking CPU starts to struggle
If he comes here asking which CPU is the best for his socket, don't you think he might be doing shit his CPU struggles with already ?
Or does he just come here asking which CPU might be a sensible upgrade for no reason ?
If you think there's nothing a 4460 could struggle with, you are delusional. He just might be wanting to play some of the several games on the market that stand to gain something from a 1 GHz increase in clockspeed, or even hyperthreading.

>YOU are telling him to spend money RIGHT NOW.
Evidently he feels a need to upgrade right now. I'm telling him which CPU he can upgrade to that will stay relevant for years to come thanks to overclocking while keeping the rest of his shit.
Thread posts: 245
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.