[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone use NFC cards here? I just got a new Visa from my bank

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 12

Anyone use NFC cards here?

I just got a new Visa from my bank with paywave but any store where I tried it, it didn't work or they didn't accept it. Seems like a meme so far
>>
Enjoy having your card cloned
>>
>>56326589
Upvoted
>>
I noticed a lot of stores around no have it, and force customers to use it even though the magnetic stripe still works. What's worse is the thing takes like 30 seconds to read, unlike the half second swipe.
>>
Yeah it's pretty much the standard here in the Netherlands.

Up to 25 euros a day no PIN code necessary either.

But yeah, we're no corporate cuck with each bank their own platform. It's pretty much universal for all banks in NL.
>>
>>56326599
In Canada w ehave a little chip in the card and you have to put it inside the machine and it takes forever instead of swiping. Which worked fine. It's supposed to be more secure.
>>
You activated it at the bank right?
>>
>>56326562
How is America so far behind the first world?
>>
>>56326633
Thats what I'm talking about, the little chip.
>>
>>56326589
Well they didn't give me much of a choice.

>>56326645
I can pay online and with regular "stick it into the terminal". Do you have to activate NFC separately?

>>56326656
I'm from Germany. The supermarket said it supported it but they said I was like the first person in 3 weeks to try it and the cashier had no idea either. So after holding up the line for 3 minutes, I just put it into the terminal like always and it worked fine
>>
That seems incredibly insecure. There isn't a challenge or password to use that thing?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>Germany

kek

I tried the same thing a few months ago at ALDI. It tapped it at the register, it worked fine but the cashier thought I was scamming her even though it clearly said "transaction completed" on the terminal. So we argued for a couple of minutes and they had to call the manager to confirm that I indeed paid.

I thought I was being super cool paying with NFC and shit but I lost literally all my my spaghetti that day especially because there was a huge line behind me.

Never used it since.
>>
NFC cards are great if you don't live in a shitty neighbourhood
>convenient
>as fast as swipe
>don't have to touch the filthy machine

If someone does do a walk by scam, just call the card company and have them reverse the $25 charge
>>
>>56326562
The entirety of Australia has been for the last 5 years m8
>>
>>56326695
chip and pin you retard.

>>56326849
Has this actually been caught in a wild, its one thing to used NFC to read a card, its another thing to actually use NFC to transfer/steal some funds.
And of course this 'money' has to go somewhere, its not a physical good, its just numbers in some account that are easily traceable and easily reversible.
>>
>>56326835
german here too

always played with the thought of paying like that but am afraid of all the noodz falling out of my pocket.
after your story I'm convinced I'll never pay liek that
>>
>>56326645
generally speaking it should already be activated.
AFAIK it is 'always-on' on the card itself, its just that your account is flagged for having it on/off.
Since if you think about it when you go to the bank to turn if on/off they don't touch your card at all, its just some option on your account.

But at the same time the terminal at the merchants needs to be setup properly and have that feature on as well.
For some reason some merchants don't have the newer terminals or have it disabled.
>>
>>56326835
>>56326926
wut
over here in shitty Poland I'd say ~75% people pay via NFC because putting in the PIN actually takes some time
some stores may have older terminals that don't support it, but it's extremely rare
I thought Germany would be way ahead of us
>>
>>56326562
I use NFC at every single store by me for purchases under $100 (doesn't work over that).

I love it.

>>56326589
It's safer than mag strips lol
>>
>>56326926
From my observation people are generally surprised if you pay with anything other than cash or EC card.
>>
>>56326849
You trust the cheap ass companies to set things up right? and the employees to handle things as a security matter instead of a customer service matter when things go wrong?
>>
It's everywhere in Canada, I enjoy it for buying shit quickly that's under 100 bucks
>>
>>56326562
It's comfy and fast, and there's a 25€ per purchase limit + a time limit.
>>
>>56326990
Hm I guess it's multiple factors

>people very rarely use Mastercard or Visa in retail in general. Most transactions are cash, some are with EC card (probably a German only thing)
>the biggest "bank" (it's more of an association of lots of small banks but that doesn't matter for this) doesn't give out NFC cards
>general German Angst that someone will steal 20€ using magic waves (which has never happened) while ironically letting in 3 million potential terrorists is totally safe

tl;dr we are retarded
>>
>>56326990
this: >>56326995

>>56327074
>general German Angst that someone will steal 20€ using magic waves

kek because it's true
>>
>>56326995
its wears off quickly, like how many times can you be surprised if you see someone tapping their card ?
Maybe the first 2 or 3 times and then just fades into becoming a daily occurrence for the merchant.
>>
Another anon from Poland here, even shops in the deepest shitholes of Poland have NFC and it werks.

>>56326743
Here you can set the maximum amount of money you can pay with the NFC (personally set it to equivalent of ~13$). If you try to pay for something more expensive, you'll have to enter your PIN. Also, I get SMS message every time more than ~0.5$ is deducted from my account (I set the lower limit so that I don't get spammed to death for buying tickets).
>>
>>56327074
>the biggest bank doesn't give out NFC cards
that's interesting actually. over here if you're a normie (I mean, not a company) it's actually hard to find a bank that offers a non-NFC card. I mean, pretty much all of the banks allow you to disable it (go to bank, say "I don't want NFC", sign a paper, off you go - all NFC payments will be rejected), but getting a card without NFC built-in in the first place... I remember checking, last year, the 5 most popular banks and I think only one offered an NFC-less card.
>>
File: 788075.jpg (83KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
788075.jpg
83KB, 500x500px
>>56326562
In my use it's as fast as normal input

I like to mash buttons though
>>
britfa/g/ here, got NFC ~3 years ago, it's pretty good, live in a city so most places do it. I don't understand what people have against it
>>
>>56326632
I use it daily, love it
>>
>>56326656
>How is America so far behind the first world?
We had it first, faggot.
>>
Netherlands here.

Everyone has it, lots of people use it. You can request a non-nfc card from any bank.
It's actually weird if a store does not have nfc, or as we call it: contactless payment.
>>
>>56327369
The contactless payment terminals at the FEBO are GOAT
>>
>>56327216
Just checked

>Sparkasse (~30 million customers) don't offer them at all
>Volksbank/Raiffeisenbank (~15 million customer) don't offer them at all
>Postbank (~6 million customers) do offer them, but it doesn't come with the standard account and costs yearly fee
>Deutsche Bank (~5 million customers) do offer them, but also don't come with standard account and cost yearly fee as well
>Same with Commerzbank (~4 million customers)

internet banks like ING, comdirect give a free VISA card though (but I think it's only debit not credit)

I'm pretty sure NFC will take over here as well, but I think Apple Pay and Android Pay (if they ever get announced) will get the train rolling.

I used it sometimes, but it's usually accepted where it isn't necessary. For example it would be perfect for vending machines, coffee shops, small purchases at supermarkets, train tickets etc.

But it's mostly only accepted for big purchases at supermarkets, at gas stations, etc.

I don't mind if it takes 5 seconds to enter a PIN at the gas station, but I'd be 1000 times more likely to buy a drink if I could just tap my card at the vending machine instead of fiddling with cash.
>>
>>56327369
ha, over here it's "płatność zbliżeniowa". "zbliżać" is the verb for getting two things close to each other and you pay by moving the card close enough to the reader... so I guess that makes it a "close-up payment".
>>
>>56327426
pretty much every small shop and restaurant over here accepts cards, and most often NFC, too.
the most likely place not to support card are some prehistoric institutions like train stations in small towns or the post office.

>tfw last year received a package from abroad
>had to pay import tax
>guy at customs office gave me a stub and told me to go to the post office right by the customs
>(you pay money to post office, they make bank transfer and give you a paper that says "yep, it's paid")
>fucking 2.5€ commission
that's like half a fucking bottle of vodka. or a whole meal at some cheap bar.
>>
NFC has been the norm in Australia for 2 or 3 years now.
>>
Even with Apple Pay, android pay, and a Citi card with an RFID chip I have yet to find a place where these things work other than a HANDFUL of soft drink machines. This applies even when the contactless logo appears on the screen
>>
>>56326632
>use American monopoly technology
>no corporate cuck

I agree it's comfortable but then don't lie to yourself.

Here in Germany we're developing our own contactless technology with our own cards that can't be hacked.
>>
>>56327302
>we
>pounds, feet, miles, inches
I'm so tired of this thread, anyone that uses it daily knows how quick and easy nfc payments are and the bank guarantees any fraud so why is this even an issue? The brand of toilet paper I use is a more interesting tech debate.
>>
nah bro. i have m card info on the td app and i use nfc on my phone to make purchases. way faster than pulling out my credit card
>>
>>56326865
yup
>>
>>56326562
my NFC broke dunno why and how.
>>
>>56328162
>can't be hacked
Not going to be out of concept phase ever.
>>
>>56326562

Yeh for nearly every transaction now.

Don't have to put my pin in and it takes about 5 seconds to work.

Plus I don't live in a city full of niggers and trash can foreigners, so I don't really have to worry about my card getting cloned
>>
>>56328985
What is your point, you stupid European fuck?
>>
>>56326562
>Anyone use NFC cards here?
Its been the standard for paying for shit for like 5 years now, who doesnt use it?
>>
File: 1447182575153.gif (983KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1447182575153.gif
983KB, 640x360px
>>56329096
> I don't live in a city full of niggers and trash can foreigners, so I don't really have to worry about my card getting cloned
You have almost zero chance of that happening unless someone is rubbing right up against you, and even then if you have a rfid blocking wallet its not even an issue.
>>
>>56329302
And even if you have no RFID wallet and someone reading, newer cards use dynamic CVV3 responses that depend on the interrogation of the reader to give a dynamic response, meaning reading the card once is only enough to do a MiTM attack if you capture the card info and immediately relay it to a terminal in real time with an electronic device that fakes it, and replay attacks aren't possible (e.g. cloning)
>>
>>56329302

Yeh I've tried to use it before from my wallet and it doesn't work. There's cunts out there who will try though. Just ride the tram to work or w/e and try to get a value
>>
>>56329344

That's pretty clever. Those terminals though aren't hard to get your hands on.

A friend of mine said he saw a case where people had terminals hooked up to paypal accounts
>>
>>56326993
You're so ignorant I want to cut your legs off and drown you in your own blood.

Mag strips are contact technology. NFC is by definition contactless.
It is therefore easier to clone using NFC because you don't have to fucking touch the card. You can read it from a distance.
Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>56329207
Oh, I forget burgers are all over this site. Here's the short version; Only burgers have issues with NFC when the rest of the world have been happy with it for years.
>>
>>56329400
It's clever up until the point where you have to verify an identity and a bank account to get the money out to. Paypal just doesn't let you start collecting substantial sums of money immediately without tying it against an individual (where they can ruin your credit) or a business with assets to go against. Contactless transactions from sources that aren't active NFC (like Android Pay or Apple Wallet) are typically capped at a small dollar amount, like $25-$50 (where the bank is willing to eat the loss if the consumer declares fraud). Visa, Mastercard, et al still pursue people who do it often (and do analytics to see if a retailer has substantial fraud).
>>
File: 1396199021041.jpg (164KB, 711x724px) Image search: [Google]
1396199021041.jpg
164KB, 711x724px
>>56329402
>It is therefore easier to clone using NFC because you don't have to fucking touch the card.
This is exactly why most americans are considered stupid, talking to them is like taking a trip to 10 years ago.
>>
>>56329424
Well, the problem is in 2004-2005 we had two problems:
1) Banks wanted easy money but were cheap as fuck
2) We didn't have EMV in place or the dynamic card responses that came with it

So big banks just halfassed it putting the card number/name/static card value (where the card was cloneable) and the news caught wind of it and had a fucking field day, and even though it was capped to small transactions (less than $25) it ruined the reputation of the technology in the heads of American consumers. Now with Apple pay people get the tech, but contactless chips in cards they don't see the difference from a decade ago.
>>
Very popular in the UK called 'Contactless'. Most PEDS have them intergrated with swipe/chip and pin. It is up to £30.00 without authentication, however after three tries you must revert to Chip and Pin. When you do a transaction it stores on the PED instead of attempting to authenticate with the bank straight away. Can be used easily to scam.
>>
>>56329424
If you don't like Americans, stop using the internet. We had contactless payment a decade before you retards even heard of it.
>>
File: PiTaPa_basic_card_01.jpg (2MB, 3968x2512px) Image search: [Google]
PiTaPa_basic_card_01.jpg
2MB, 3968x2512px
I use a PitaPa daily.

I also set up SmartIcoCa on my cellphone, but never got around to charging it.
>>
>>56329443

Yeh I'm not sure what the deal is with paypal these days. Do you need a bank a/c or cc to use paypal or can you just sign up and start depositing funds?

Obviously ideally you'd take something like $25/$50 a month or w/e the limit is and swap it for bitcoins somewhere, then sell.

Not much to be fair
>>
File: 1150926961452.jpg (25KB, 410x316px) Image search: [Google]
1150926961452.jpg
25KB, 410x316px
>>56329497
>waaaaah we wer forst
Then why is your country so ass backwards you still use the mag strip and removed the need for pins with chip cards? Oh yea, FREEDUMS!
>>
>>56329563
Why are you so concerned with my country, faggot? What the fuck good is a 4-6 digit PIN when you have a smart card?
>>
File: 1233063753257.jpg (8KB, 194x250px) Image search: [Google]
1233063753257.jpg
8KB, 194x250px
>>56329588
lol, typical burger, hiding behind your country until you know your wrong then trying to use it to hide your idiocy. Anyways, since you appear to be missing the point I am done with you, go waddle down to burger king and grab a whopper for making me smile.
>>
>>56329646
Typical Euro, an obsessive Dunning-Kruger moron with a superiority complex.
>>
>>56329559
You can have a minor paypal balance on refunds but to take funds in you need a bank account and then generally business documentation or a Social Security Number (individual identification number, standard in the US, can't get a new one).
>>
>>56329687
heh, I am not sure whats funnier, the fact you think I am even European or that you are still responding after I said I was done with you :P
>>
>>56329695
>take funds in you need a bank account and then generally business documentation or a Social Security Number (individual identification number, standard in the US, can't get a new one).
The fuck?
>>
>>56329454
I'm not american and everything I said is true, stupid fucking nigger.
I hope you choke on your next post for being such a fucking waste of space
>>
>>56329736
>the fact you think I am even European
If not you're even less relevant.
> that you are still responding after I said I was done with you :P
Watch yourself fuck nigga.
>>
>>56329741
Basically after 9/11, to be a "money handler" like PayPal (note: Paypal isn't a bank in the United States) you have to verify the identity of the account holder to make sure you aren't funneling money through dummy accounts that fund terrorists and criminals, etc... PayPal will let you take a small amount of money in, but won't let you get any of it out of Paypal (or spend it via PayPal) until you provide identification.
>>
>>56329772
im very positive that money laundering laws have been on the books for a while now.
Banks/financial institutions are heavily regulated.
>>
>>56326704
>do you have to activate it separately.
Sometimes, I know I did on the CC connected to my bank acc but not my separate third party MC
>>
>>56329563
We have all that shit.
At least we aren't paying conversion rates for foreign currencies or 30% import taxes after driving 20 miles.
lmao yerup
>>
>>56329772
Well that's lame. Guess it's back to money orders for me.
>>
I don't even use a regular card.
>>
File: 1472311369075.jpg (38KB, 634x357px) Image search: [Google]
1472311369075.jpg
38KB, 634x357px
I stopped falling for the awful european memes ever since chipcards were a fucking flop and waste of time and everyones money
>>
>>56329264

I don't, and I'll take a non-NFC option at any opportunity. I don't want to have to use an aluminum wallet just to block out any connection to my card while it's in my pocket. I have a magnetic strip card right now because I got it before the switch to chip and pin, but if I have a choice between chip and pin or nfc, I'll take the chip any day of the week.
>>
>>56329886
smart cards are great. more security than bullshit PINs.
>>
>>56329886

I live in the UK and have had to swipe instead of use the chip maybe 2 times in my life.
>>
Why not just use cash?
>>
>>56329893
>I don't want to have to use an aluminum wallet just to block out any connection to my card while it's in my pocket
What? Why would you need an aluminum wallet? What kind of retardation do you suffer from? All you need is a rfid blocking wallet and even that is tin foil hat territory considering its almost impossible to clone a nfc card.
>I have a magnetic strip card right now because I got it before the switch to chip and pin, but if I have a choice between chip and pin or nfc, I'll take the chip any day of the week.
Didnt you say you didnt want to have to use an "aluminum wallet" for nfc while proudly stating how you carry something that is far less secure? You really arent making one bit of sense. Do you eat glue?
>>
>>56326589
>I have no idea what I'm talking about: the post
>>
>>56329985

>far less secure
You can't scan a magnetic strip card without having physical access to the card. As long as you don't insert it into a compromised reader, it's 100% secure.
>>
File: wendoos.jpg (46KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
wendoos.jpg
46KB, 500x500px
>>56326562
These aren't NFC you retarded summerfags. They're contactless smart cards, and there's a significant difference. Now fuck off to Reddit.
>>
>>56330390
ok seriously now youre not even trying to hide it
>>
>>56330012
This.

If you think contactless payments are insecure then kill yourself. There is a limit on how much you can take out without entering the pin so even if some criminal did manage to clone it they can only withdraw like $50.

Furthermore, I don't know which shit-eating bank you are with that doesn't insure you against card fraud and theft.

Contactless is an improvement on PIN which was a big improvement on signing for the bill. Anyone who disagrees is a Luddite turbo autist.
>>
>>56326633
>takes forever
only if you live in the middle of fucking nowhere. Most cities and towns its just half a second to authenticate. Sure it was slow at first but it's been fast for years, just like in Europe. .
>>
>>56327426
ING DiBa masterrace
>>
>>56326835
tfw paying with phone
im sure some retards think you're hacking the money or something
>>
>>56326632
It's standard everywhere in EU. I live in Poland and i don't even remember last time i had ti pay with cash.

Although it's entire next level in NL - i was there, guys i've met don't even use wallets, just a little multiple credit card etui
>>
>>56326562
Use it daily at my local OneStop Shop. Cant wait for them to start embedding these chips in infants with Identification details as well as bank details. The future is now!
>>
>>56332532
>Cant wait for them to start embedding these chips in infants with Identification details as well as bank details. The future is now!
0/10
>>
>>56332532
Why operate on kids when they already have perfect spying device with them all the time.
>>
File: 1470928201819.jpg (6KB, 213x219px) Image search: [Google]
1470928201819.jpg
6KB, 213x219px
>be me
>be fat American
>claims to have invented everything from internet to nfc
>took no part personally in any invention ever
>gets triggered beyond belief when the rest of the world overtakes them because too fat and lazy to innovate
>still using imperial measurement

Why Live?
>>
File: IMG_20160830_011751.jpg (49KB, 746x550px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160830_011751.jpg
49KB, 746x550px
I use it, just not in a card. I prefer to just be NFC compliant so I don't have to carry shit around.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.