[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone here run their own OpenVPN server? Is it worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: openvpn.png (21KB, 270x270px) Image search: [Google]
openvpn.png
21KB, 270x270px
Does anyone here run their own OpenVPN server? Is it worth it?
>>
>>56315866
I use it for connecting to Amazon EC2 instances that only I need access to, it's a lot easier than configuring a firewall and the usual bs you need to do to secure a linux machine.

Also I used it once to play pirated copies of WC3 with some friends sometime ago, it works like a non spyware version of Hamachi or Tunngle.

I think it's worth to learn how to use it, it's a very handy tool.
>>
>>56315866
I did for a year. Had some difficulties setting it up, but nothing major. It's legit and worth it for various activities.
>>
It's good software. I suggest going with the licensed/supported version (OpenVPN-AS) as it's literally plug and play plus the support is awesome. The community edition is ok, but if you are using it in a professional environment at all it's too much of a hassle.
>>
I like it much better than any IPsec VPN software.
>>
>>56315866
Back in college. Worth it if you connect through public wifi hotspots a lot and are too cheap to buy a VPN.
>>
>>56315866
Digital Ocean has a pretty straightforward tutorial on how to set it up which I followed.
Things I ended up configuring differently over time was changing the port to 443, switching the cipher to AES-256 and putting user key, cert and config into a single .ovpn file.
>>
>>56318304
One unpleasant surprise was that Android wouldn't support adding openvpn natively, so I had to get the app.
At least you can get it off F-Droid
>>
>>56315866
I use one for accessing my nas when out / getting around the fact that 4chan is blacklisted on my work's WiFi. Takes about half an hour to setup, and a worthwhile learning experience even if you stop using it
>>
>>56315866
I was. But then I've realized that running an ssh/SOCKS5 tunnel is much easier for my purpose.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160829-033726.png (146KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160829-033726.png
146KB, 1080x1920px
>>56315866
unrelated question, how would I be able to setup a my VPN with PIA on Android with the F-Droid app? I dont wanna use the proprietary app and im pretty sure it supports OpenVPN
>>
>>56318573
You need to find their config files and import them to the app
>>
I wanted to set one up with a rpi3B that I was going to buy. Was wondering if it was worth doing with a shitty Australian internet connection.

What is the problem with connecting to one of the ones on vpngate?
>>
>>56315866
Yes. I run mine on a PI that connects to my local network so when I'm not in the house I still have access to my server/ssh and shit without having to port forward.
>>
>>56315866
Got it on a $6/year VPS but in the same country, only use it to get around shitty university firewalls.
Lazy and used the following, works pretty fucking well: https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install/
>>
>>56318573
Just download the config files from the PIA site.

Be sure to add block-outside-dns to everyone of the config files or else your DNS will leak.
>>
>>56318573
high posibility you need the legacy config files from pia because they fucked something up with the certs and auth encryption setup
>>
>>56320249
>$6/year VPS
Wtf where
>>
Is there a way to port forward through the VPN server and make a server on a client available on the Internet?
>>
File: 1431923843327.jpg (111KB, 1140x704px) Image search: [Google]
1431923843327.jpg
111KB, 1140x704px
>>56315866
Have a small VPS for testing and OpenVPN.
I've used this script to set it up: https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install
Use Tunnelblick as client on my computer.
Feels comfy and reasonably secure if you work on public/non-trusted networks.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.