[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is taking full permissions and ownership of your C drive a vulnerability/bad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1467078331148.jpg (74KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1467078331148.jpg
74KB, 300x300px
Is taking full permissions and ownership of your C drive a vulnerability/bad idea? what's the safest permissions configuration to have to keep safe but not have to be a pain in the ass to run or install stuff?
>>
>>56313461
>what's the safest permissions configuration to have to keep safe but not have to be a pain in the ass to run or install stuff?
install ubuntu
>>
Windows users, everyone
>>
>>56313464
>>56313465
non-smart ass assistance please......
>>
>>56313484
Honest answer, use linux.

Was kind of strange looking at your post until an anon remind me you were using windows.
>>
>>56313484
Non-smart ass response: Use Linux.

The amount of configuration regarding permissions and security in Linux is something that Microsoft has not been able to achieve within a stand alone machine just yet. If you really need that kind of security, you'll need to be behind a Windows server controlled network. I'm not shitting on Windows either, I use it daily as well and enjoy using it along with Windows and osx, but for what you're asking for, you simply can't do it within Windows easily.
>>
>>56315051
>>56315136
i do use linux primarily but am also forced to use Windows one of my laptops for a multitude of reasons hence why I'm asking for the best solution while I need to keep using it....i'm not asking to be bulletproof here just the best i can possibly do
>>
>>56315136
*Along with Linux and osx, is what I meant to say.
>>
>>56315148
In that case, the easiest thing to do would probably be to partition your drive and use the new partition to install and run stuff. Like the other anons said, you're not going to get that easily done on your C drive.

If your laptop is fairly new, you probably have an msata port being used as a cache drive. Replace that with a 120gb or so dive, reinstall windows on it, then use the platter (or ssd?) That your current install is on for data and apps.
>>
>>56315272
i guess what im asking is...full ownership of my C drive on MY user account...bad idea? high risk for malware and shit since I'll obv be downloading and installing stuff?
>>
File: Windows_7_UAC_Signedcode.png (19KB, 466x246px) Image search: [Google]
Windows_7_UAC_Signedcode.png
19KB, 466x246px
>>56315330
>MY user account
do you mean your local admin account or your reduced user account?
i. e. do you want everything under the sun to have access or only programs with administrative privileges?
>>
>>56315420
my local admin account, should i keep a separate non admin account for shit?
>>
>>56315437
nah, i just wasn't sure what you meant, is there any particular issue why you would need more permissions than you have by default?
usually the default permissions cover everything you'll ever have to modify.
Which windows versions are we talking about here?
>>
>>56315469
Gotcha, and Win7 64-bit. I just don't want to fuck anything up or get [email protected] sound silly but always a concern. I need to be able to read and write to the whole drive and even modify sys32 files
>>
>>56315552
>I need to be able to read and write to the whole drive
you can't replace every file while the system is running, and i doubt you can do this on most linux distros without a significant amount of work. Do you want to toy with windows internals or something like that?
>I need to be able to read and write to the whole drive and even modify sys32 files
you can take ownership of any file or folder with takeown(command line).
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.