[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Low-Power Server

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: VostroFarm.jpg (128KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
VostroFarm.jpg
128KB, 1024x768px
Building a low-power home file and FTP server. Which one is the better deal?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157475&cm_re=atom_c2750-_-13-157-475-_-Product
>eight-core Avoton C2750 mini-ITX motherboard (~25W TDP)
>two RJ-45 ports, but a fuck ton of SATA ports
$450

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182973&cm_re=xeon_d-_-13-182-973-_-Product
>4 core, 8 thread Xeon-D1521 Mini-ITX motherboard (45W TDP)
>four RJ-45 ports
$490

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121782&cm_re=c222_motherboard-_-13-121-782-_-Product
+ Xeon E3 1265L v3 (45W TDP)
>4 core, 8 thread Haswell Xeon
>C222 chipset micro-ATX board
>2 RJ-45 ports, but has 3 8x slots and a 16x slot
$160+$290 = $450

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182998&cm_re=c232-_-13-182-998-_-Product
+ Core i3-6300T (35W TDP)
>two core, four thread Skylake i3
>C232 chipset micro-ATX board
>also only 2 RJ-45 ports, but has 2 8x slots and a 16x slot
$170+$168 = $338
>>
>>56309718
What you choose should depend on your needs and objectives with the build. We don't know what you want from your home file server. I had a build with an ancient Atom D2700 and it managed to max out a 1Gbps link over Samba just fine, as well as handle OpenVPN at 100Mbps.

If something like that is your goal you don't need much CPU power at all. Depending on what else you want to do, it can change drastically. For instance if you're also thinking of high-quality video transcoding, you may need something faster.
>>
>>56309873
It's a file server/NAS and an FTP server on a VM. I might use it for streaming, but the primary purpose is to make certain work-related files available to any laptop, tablet, or desktop that's in my network. I might also try running an SSH service on it so I can securely access the FTP server outside of the home network in case I lose my portable drive.
>>
>>56309873
>Atom D2700
I stop seeing those intel Atom motherboards. whats the next line of products?
>>
>>56309968
You don't need a VM for that. You can go way lower power than what you have there. You can do with with a RasPi.
>>
>>56309991
I would go for an SBC, but I know that I'll be expanding the range of tasks I want the server to do (like I said, I might run a VPN and streaming service on it later on) and nearly all the affordable SBCs I've seen won't be able to do much outside of simple tasks. Plus, I need multiple 1GbE ports since I tend to use more than one computer/laptop for work plus I'll be dedicating the other port on a DMZ for the FTP VM. I also need to store massive files (mostly redundant copies of raw, uncompressed 1080p videos so clients don't get angsty over losing their precious moments), which rules out the RaspPi and other boards since they usually only have one SATA II port and USB 2.0 ports. I've had terrible luck with USB-to-SATA controllers and a multi-bay external hard drive will use more power than the RaspPi and be subject to the shitty power brick all of them comes with.
>>
>>56309968
A RasPi won't come even close to 1Gbps.

>>56309985
I'm not sure, I had that board a while ago. I'm using a 4570S now to handle transcoding.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.