[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PowerMac G5, what went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: powermacg5v2.jpg (188KB, 1696x1586px) Image search: [Google]
powermacg5v2.jpg
188KB, 1696x1586px
PowerMac G5, what went wrong?
>>
File: steve jobs.png (920KB, 487x740px) Image search: [Google]
steve jobs.png
920KB, 487x740px
>mfw I used one for 7 years
>>
'le ball grid array meme
>>
>>56309284

Watch this and understand all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SqYMU81l8Y
>>
>>56309284
Why, just look at the lower 60% of the case my friend, it's literally all cooling. PowerPC architecture was and still is one of the toastiest around, just recall the PlayStation 3 as an example.
It did provide an absolutely monsterous amount of floating point performance compared to X86, and the G5 was actually faster than the Intel Mac Pros that replaced them for a while to come in specific applications.
However, as you now well see, Apple was pushing for a large shift towards mobile devices, and PPC simply couldn't deliver for low-power devices. They didn't want to fragment the userbase either, by having both PPC for high-end machines and X86 for mobile, so they had to make the choice of axing PPC altogether, even if left a bad taste in the mouths of pros everywhere.
The gamble paid off, and mobile is now the biggest money-maker for Apple, which came at the cost of a complete lack of any serious hardware for professionals, a real shame as many years past Apple was almost synonymous with professional work across various fields.
>>
File: 1463006786479.png (127KB, 257x250px) Image search: [Google]
1463006786479.png
127KB, 257x250px
>>56309369
>mfw I still use one
Soon I'm upgrading to a G5 quad with 16GB ECC RAM, 120GB SSD, and a 4x4TB RAID5 array
>>
The problem was that IBM unable to meet the power values necessary for use in notebooks. That's what killed PPC Macs.
>>
>>56309284
>what went wrong
What did? It wasn't a market failure, it generally did what people expected it to do. If we're just talking about the architecture, it wasn't performing as well as it should have, it was hot, "pure" RISC on the desktop just wasn't competitive anymore.

The video >>56309591 posted is actually pretty interesting to watch, by the way. I didn't think it would run that good, even though my DC 2.0 G5 is still just fine for what I do with it.
>>
>>56309284
Generally the people who bought them didn't use them for what they were good at.
>>
>>56309867
And they weren't price competitive with Intel even if they could have solved that problem. Although RISC (ARM) eventually won for their ultra mobile devices.

Apple clearly no longer cares about providing high-powered workstations so I could see them switching to using their A-series ARM chips in all their desktop and laptop Macintosh computers. Once you're in a large form factor with better cooling and mains power ARM might not even be that much worse than Intel.
>>
>>56311745
>Apple clearly no longer cares about providing high-powered workstations
The Mac Pro and high end iMacs do exist.
>>
What about the Mac Pro? I really love the case of it. Can you fit modern hardware inside it without tinkering?
>>
>>56311745
>Although RISC (ARM) eventually won for their ultra mobile devices.
call me pedantic or whatever, but their handhelds and tablets always used ARM chips like everything else since the newton, there was no "winning", it always was

>>56311756
the trashcan is hardly a "high-powered" workstation especially today, it's mid-low end at best, probably even worse since the hardware is absolutely ancient compared to pretty much any other big vendor's offerings and the video hardware was gimped garbage even when it was new

>>56311806
it's no less proprietary than the G5 but much more expandable with dual ODD bays and four disk bays versus the G5s single/two respectively

the very last of the aluminum models are also very respectable as daily drivers although they obviously suffer from logo-markup in the second hand market
>>
>>56311806
It had modern hardware.
>>
>>56312101
>>56311995
Anything special to look out for when buying a Mac Pro?
>>
>>56312109
If you want a dual socket model it'll be cheaper to buy a low spec dual socket one and then upgrade it with better processors than buy a single socket and convert it. Don't buy anything below a 5,1 at this point. Don't worry much about 2010 or 2012, they are identical besides some clock speed boosts in 2012.
>>
>>56312221
Also don't fall for the 'converted' 4,1 meme, since you'll pay pretty much the same money for them as an actual 5,1. Just be careful you make sure it's a real 5,1 as there are some sellers on eBay who try to obfuscate this.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.