[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shit you almost got for free

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

File: whybother.jpg (32KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
whybother.jpg
32KB, 500x334px
>"Hey anon I got this 2nd hand GTX960 a few days ago, it keeps overheating, can you help me out?"
>"Yeah, sure we can test it on my old PC if you'd like."
>"Thanks anon, really appreciate it"
>Installed latest drivers and shit.
>Placed the GPUand benchmarked, GPU goes from idle 59c to 86c on 50% load.
>A few seconds later the framerate goes to 1-4 FPS.
>"Dude, I think you got a defective card, where did you say you buy this again?"
>Well, was looking online and met up with this guy, I tested it in his place, seems okay before I left..."
>"Sorry to say man, but looks like you got fucked man, shit's broken, have you tried calling him, how much you paid?"
>"Got it for 200$, been days, not even a single reply... so there's no way to fix this then?"
>Nah, though it will be a good display on a case or something, I mean you still have the box and stuff right?
>"Can you buy it off my hand then?"
>"No man, I don't really have use for it."
>"Dude, just pay me 50$ and it's all yours"
>"Fine, at least it will look good as a display on the living room" hand him fifty
>"Thanks anon! I'll buy you a drink next time, at least i got something out of this."
>2 weeks later
>remember the GPU on my display case
>take off hsf and tear it apart because why not
>apparently the guy who sold it used some kind of shitty knockoff black grimy thermal paste that hardened pretty bad
>Clean it off and place my own paste
>Ran benchmarks at 47c easy

Having "gaymer" friends is pretty handy
>>
You just jewed your friend out of 150 dollars because you told him it was defective. Wtf is wrong with you.
>>
>>56305835
Hey fuck you Mark! You could have told me you fixed it you greedy son of a bitch. And you can forget about coming to the party on friday.
>>
>>56305971
I actually thought it was defective, but then I remembered my GPU from the early GTX days and replaced the paste. Not my fault he spends too much time trying to be a gaymer.
>>
>>56305835
You are a shit friend.
>>
>>56306045
you still jewed him, the proper thing to do is to offer it back
>>
You're a cunt

Not a good kind of cunt
>>
>>56306131
>>56306201
>>56305971

He insisted on selling it to me. I purchased the part.
Sorry, but fair is fair.
>>
>>56306273
because he trusted your judgement
>>
>Be in Net Admin course in local private college.
>One class mate is always staying after school because he's flunking the course and has to do a bunch of catch up projects.
>No teachers there at all. Only cleaning staff every now and then.
>He steal so much stuff. SSDs, GPUs, CPUs and even motherboards. He'd take the motherboards out of the broken systems in the back and replace them with the working systems motherboard and then walk out with the working motherboard.
>Steals so much stuff he has no use for it.
>Ends up using them for bargaining.
>"Go buy me a 12 pack of beer and I'll give you a 256gb SSD."
>"Help me move out and I'll give you an I7 and a GTX 630."
>Eventually gets expelled because someone took a video of him cheating on a test.
>No one found out he was stealing shit.
>He keyed a guys car on the way out because he thought it was the guy who filmed him cheating. It wasn't.
>>
>>56306273
I would feel pretty shitty about doing this kind of thing to anyone, let alone someone who I called my friend.
>>
>>56305835
Wow, you sure got that goyim good!

When I was a kid I traded one of my yo-yo's for a Game Boy Advance and ten games. My parents made me give it back after a week when they found out how I got it. Apparently I conned the kid to them. When I gave it back he was so upset. He really liked that yo-yo.
>>
>enrol students, check qualifications etc.
>see an iPhone 6s Plus left behind on the seat
>put it on my desk, maybe the Chinese guy will come looking for it
>fast forward few hours, get called to anothet place to check some bullshit
>sad Chinese guy talks to the staff taking library card photos
>"What's this guy looking for?"
>"His iPhone."
>"I have it. Come with me after I'm done here."
>Everyone happy.
>Could have had a brand new phone but opted out for karma...

No regrets desu
>>
>>56306273
you can ask $100 for it, says it's a new thermal paste.
>>
>>56305835
I have received several PC parts for free through the years.

>Build pc for first serious girlfriend because her mom offers to pay
>Power supply goes out
>Take it to my house to wait for new supply and install it, she pays
>We end up breaking up between then
>New PSU comes
>Never install it, give PC back
>Still using it right now, that was over 7 years and 5 motherboards ago

>Hanging out at arcade with a buddy back in high school
>Bitching about my 8600
>He says he thinks he has a graphics card in his car
>I think he's fucking with me
>We go out and he opens the glovebox
>8800GT sitting right there
>Was using it until it failed a few months ago

Using an old IBM eServer case I snagged from a recycled build I got a few years ago to use as a media center. Have a Sony HTCT100 sound bar my girlfriend's old sorority sister gave to us when she found it in her storage, got a PS2 fat and a bundle of the most popular games and four controllers for like 25 bucks last year because people on craigslist are dumb.

If you're thrifty and you don't mind buying used you can have some really cool shit for almost nothing.
>>
>>56306406
Give it back Tyro-

Oh, well good job Tyrone. Maybe you finally learned you wouldn't have been able to get into it anyway.
>>
>>56305835
Andrew is this you?????

I'm coming round now you better have not ripped me off!!!!
>>
>>56306273
Tell him you fixed it and offer it to him for $100. You still cut a profit, he'll think you're a technology god, and he'll probably bring more opportunities like this your way.
>>
>>56306430
Physical access > All
Pretty sure you could factory reset/flash firmware somehow or just give it to the pajeets to jailbreak (like you can with a memedroid)
>>
>>56306031
>>56306467
this shit's lame wtf are you trying to achieve
>>
>>56306031
Kek
>>
>>56306576
Someone is scared of internet spooks kek
>>
>>56306589
it's not funny, the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>56306496
or I can keep it and pride myself with having purchased a GTX960 for $50 from an absolute moron
>>
File: nvidia.gif (826KB, 308x212px) Image search: [Google]
nvidia.gif
826KB, 308x212px
>>56306131
Nah, barely knew the guy, I'd call him an acquaintance at best, he was just introduced to me from work. I don't feel the need to give back to him since he offered it to me in the first place, plus he fell for the 1080 meme a few weeks ago.
>>
Some microcenter employee handed me my motherboard I was picking up and handed me a used Intel CPU by mistake. I almost took it then he realised the mistake he made, and took it back.
>>
>>56306736
>from an absolute moron
-- says the guy who /also/ didn't think to check the thermal paste when witnessing the card overheating
you made the same mistake he did
>>
File: 1454210294078.jpg (164KB, 563x821px) Image search: [Google]
1454210294078.jpg
164KB, 563x821px
>>56307135
But he profited off of it :^)
>>
File: fucktoy.jpg (41KB, 900x507px) Image search: [Google]
fucktoy.jpg
41KB, 900x507px
>>56307135
lol that's not me, anyways I didn't bother to check the thermal since it was bought from some shithole like Craigslist and didn't care much about it because I had my own setup. Anywho, I sold it on eBay for 225$ and bought a new keyboard.
>>
>>56305835
I'll save the greentext but I almost got a bunch of modern servers and a rack last week, but I couldn't afford to rent a van to shift them, and another guy later offered to pay £200 for the lot, so that was that.
>>
>>56306428
Similar story here, 2012, my old 8600GT was dying and a friend had two GTX 280s (from a previous SLI config) doing little to nothing, was glad I got a few years of use out of them. (Before upgrading to a modern, single GPU that's a lot more powerful)
>>
>>56306503
>Pretty sure you could factory reset/flash firmware somehow or just give it to the pajeets to jailbreak (like you can with a memedroid)
No, no you can't.
>>
ITT: Jews jewing their Jew "friends" and justifying it
>>
>>56305835
your friend is sort of a douchebag. you were right to have kept that card
>>
>>56308751
this. how poor are you that you care about 150$ difference?
>>
>>56306273
>fair is fair
You jew'd your supposed friend out of a card

Scum fuck
>>
>inb4 I was just pretending to be a retard
>>
File: 2016-07-23 19.12.37.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-23 19.12.37.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>almost
Got this bad boy for free when I went up to the IT desk and ask for one

I didn't want to use it cause I want to save it as a momento for the time when you ask nicely and they give you nice shit.

[spoiler]IT guy was my roommate's bf [/spoiler]
>>
Metal pipes that was the legs of an old desk. Too many yellow jackets defending it(btw I refurbish furniture).
>>
>>56306343
>Being fine with this
>When the shit the guy stole comes out of everyone's term fees

Reminds me of:
>Middle school
>Know one of the teachers outside of school so he knows I'm good with computers
>Asks me to have a look at a computer that for some reason isn't booting up during recess
>Upon inspection discover that all the RAM sticks are missing
>"No way anonon!! Are you absolutely sure they're not someplace else on this machine"
>Show her where the sockets are and how there really isn't anything there before she finally believes me
>Over the next few weeks more parts go missing, (more RAM, a couple of CPUs, a GPU and three HDDs, etc.)
>We soon have a school assembly dedicated to this and how anyone who knows what's going on needs to report this person
>The same day someone shows up at the teachers' lounge to rat on the guy
>Turns out it's the gypsy kid from a year below us who's been trying to sell the stuff to other kids
>Get dragged out of class to inspect the kid's locker and backpack
>Idiot kept everything he wasn't able to sell, i.e most of it, in his locker
>In the the only parts that weren't recovered was a couple of sticks of RAM
>>
Just fucking keep it, fuck this nigga. He insisted on selling it, if you managed to fix it then that was good for you. Buisness is buisness, don't worry about it bro.
>>
File: 1281499732456.jpg (9KB, 247x248px) Image search: [Google]
1281499732456.jpg
9KB, 247x248px
>>56306428
>8800GT in the glovebox
>>
>>56305835
>Shit you almost got for free
Windows 10
>>
>>56306343
>keyed a guys car
Keying is such a fucking bitch move. Shits expensive to get fixed and lowers the value of the car by a lot.
>>
>>56305835
Wow your shit with hardware and an even worse friend. Wouldn't even do that to a customer.
>I'm a computer technician
>A customer messed up the bios somehow installing windows 10 on a entry level lenovo.
>Tell him it can't be fixed as far as I know. Bios appeared to be completely bricked.
>Customer lets me keep it for parts.
>2 months later have another play around with it. Somehow get it going.
>Call the customer and tell him I fixed it even though I could have sold it for 3x the price.
>>
>>56306503
No you can't. You can by pass iCloud and use it as a ipod touch but never as a functional phone.
>>
>>56305835
>jewing your friends
Kill yourself, seriously.
>>
>>56310706
Or if you spin it this way. You would jew somebody for $150. Your the peasant here.
>>
>>56306273
and a jew is still a jew. He only insisted on selling it because you told him it was defective. Once you found it wasn't defective the non jew thing to do would be let him know and offer it back to him. Kikes like you are the reason this country is in the shitter
>>
>>56312896
Thats a Dell one right? Those are pretty good and look tidy. But yea there are so many of these around, gave one to disabled guy last week so he could play warehouse or some shit.
>>
>>56313079
Ha that gypo should have just taken half the sticks in the PC. Probably would have gotten away with it.
>>
>this thread
Fuck America and its lack of values
>>
>>56314261
He put the $ after the amount so I'm inclined to believe that he's not.
>>
I told my old man he wouldn't need his 32GB micro SD which comes with his smartphone (he really doesn't) and I swapped his with my 8GB one.
>>
>>56315752
mericans are dumb mate
don't give them too much credit
you're just setting yourself up for disappointment
>>
>>56306045
>I actually thought it was defective

you're a lying piece of shit, if it was defective it wouldn't run at all

If you observe overheating you do not diagnose "it's fucked" you go and check the cooling

you're a nigger and a shit friend
>>
File: image.jpg (118KB, 410x410px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118KB, 410x410px
>>56316110
Because who in the right mind would buy a pc part in craigslist and expect it to work. Sorry man but cash is cash, you can keep your values but its not gonna let succeed in life if you dont grab an opportunity. Dont blame OP, i wouldve done the same thing even if i knew it was defective. OP is still a jew though.

>>56306809
>fell for the 1080 meme
This guy is a fucking jew magnet, giy deserved it.
>>
>>56315794
>32gb msd
How poor are you.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.