[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IPv6

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: IPv6_logo.png (9KB, 220x262px) Image search: [Google]
IPv6_logo.png
9KB, 220x262px
ITT we list the drawbacks of IPv6:
- privacy suffers that everyone will get an unique IPv6 address
>>
>>56305046
Privacy != anonymity
>>
>IPv4
>You get an IP address for your router. It NATs the rest of the devices.

>IPv6
>You get a /64 for your router. It assigns unique globally routable IP within the /64 to the rest of the devices.

It's the same damn thing without the need to port forward or hole punch. And NAT is not, nor ever has been, a suitable replacement for a firewall, so if losing it hurts your security then you're already doing something horribly wrong.

Larger addresses does mean proportionally larger routing tables for some algorithms. You shouldn't ever notice the difference, but your ISP might.
>>
>>56305046
higher ping due to more numbers in protocol
>>
>>56306345
You're really supposed to be getting a /48, /56 or something like that, rather than one /64.

New routing algorithms work so much better with IPv6 it's unreal, because of the way it's structured: IPv4's CIDR was a dirty filthy hack, but then so is BGP.
>>
>still no static IP address for home users
>>
>>56305046
>ipv4
I can remember this shit when copying from one device to another or when I have to retype it manually
can enter one handed on the 10 key
can recognize the ranges of certain ips "microsoft, charter, amazon, china"

>ipv6
What the fuck am I looking at?
autisticlly long
pain in the ass to retype
cannot enter one handed
no chance in hell of recognizing this shit
>>
>>56306345
no one EVER considered nat to be a firewall replacement you fucking dip.

nat however is inherently a security feature
>>
>>56305046
>- privacy suffers that everyone will get an unique IPv6 address

Did you even read the standards? There is an entire section dedicated to allowing people to choose an IP address randomly and make sure it doesn't conflict with other devices on the network. Technically meant to be used for embedded devices that don't have enough long-term memory to keep track of the IP they had last time they connected, but totally and 100% allowable for all devices. You could change your IP every 5 minutes and nobody would even notice
>>
>>56307919
>reading the standard

Fool. Just invent your own.
>>
>>56305046
what prevents your isp from assingning dynamic addresses?
>>
>>56305046
>can't process adresses in hardware without spending much of die area
>no protocol field
>huge ass header like 48 bytes long
>usuitable for "pinging" or realtime traffic because of header size
>not even basic checksum
>nobody have touched it with a 30 foot pole for 12 years, that is before ISPs started to force it on people
>long and fucking weird adress shortening rules
>>
File: 1442913837553.jpg (120KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1442913837553.jpg
120KB, 960x960px
>>56309730
>trying to help friend over xbawx
>no computer
>shit connection
>trying to get him to do this on his phone
>ask for his ip to try and log in remotely
>walk him through getting it in the router
>cant find it
>have him google it
>"its some crazy shit"
>"what do you mean, its four sets of numbers separated by a period, read it to me"
>"its not here"
>go back and fourth
>tell him where the "IP" section is
>instruct him to read me whats printed there
>MFW he starts saying letters and shit
>try to get him to read me this shit over the mic
>it wont work
>fuck my life
>eventually just give up
>his shit still isnt fixed
>>
>>56306345
This
>>
>>56305046
YEAR OF THE IPV6 DESKTOP
>>
>>56307506
no it is not
>>
>>56307506
>nat however is inherently a security feature
http://blog.webernetz.net/2013/05/21/why-nat-has-nothing-to-do-with-security/
>>
>>56306345
Did you even IPv6?, you get 2 subnets :1 the IP address for direct conectivity with your ISP 2 The delegate Prefix, this is DHCPv6 feature and you get at least a subnet /60
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.