[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to make a media server but I came across plex. Is plex

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

File: photo[1].png (184KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
photo[1].png
184KB, 512x512px
I want to make a media server but I came across plex. Is plex the best out there? do I need something like plex? is there any free alternatives to plex?
>>
>>56303383
kodi or osmc
>>
>>56303383
>plex

baby's first media server
>>
was thinking http://emby.media/

are these things necessary?
>>
>>56303383
If you don't want to fuck around much Plex is pretty damn easy. Also the mobile apps let you automatically back up your videos and pictures to your media server, which is nice.
>>
>>56303500
fuck around as opposed to what else? Using MPC?

What solution is this solving?
>>
>>56303464
Obviously Plex is far too mainstream or user friendly to use. God fucking forbid something that's popular and available on most platforms be cool. Dick.
>>
>>56303476
I use this and it's great. Nice ui
>>
Lots of stupid aimed at plex, but no-one suggesting anything better.
>>
>>56303383
If you want friends / family and to be able to access your media outside of your own home with a nice wrapper... Yes Plex is the way to go.

I run a 12tb Plex server which about 15 people have access to. Works flawlessly. I would say the lifetime sub is pricey but I got it when it was only £45 which is more than reasonable.
>>
>>56304180
That plus there really isn't much config you have to do yourself
>>
File: plex.jpg (545KB, 1917x991px) Image search: [Google]
plex.jpg
545KB, 1917x991px
>>56304180
This. If you're only after basic streaming then you don't even have to pay for Plex.

It's the perfect "It just werks" media streamer.
>>
>>56304180
I wish i had got the life time sub early on, but i figured it would disappear like Orb did.
>>
>>56303476
look at >>56304057
>>
>>56304225
Yeah I agree, I'm hoping they start giving the Plex media player to the free people as it works a lot better than the Home Theather seeing as it's based on MPV.
>>56304236
I'm happy I did as Plex is just getting bigger and bigger, it's redonk to think that it comes shipped with some tvs now.
>>
I use Emby as a nice wrapper for my movies and TV shows. It's very much the Android to Plex's iPhone though; ideally I'd love to throw Emby onto a low-power NAS and have it just werk while sat in the corner, but it's not quite there yet.

Emby also supports multiple users, as opposed to Plex where it's part of the premium sub. Useful if you're sharing media with family etc
>>
Emby also surfaces favourite media and 'collections' - i.e. movie box sets - far better than Plex, which tickles my metadata fetish
>>
I say go with Plex. Its excellent and actually juz werks. Very minimal contig needed. I love it. And gets all the meta data for you too. You wont be disappointed
>>
emby vs plex?

is emby completely free?
>>
>>56304929
>https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby
>http://emby.media

Emby's totally free to install and use, besides a few 'premium features' - in common with Plex - that are locked behind a subscription charge (automatic trailer download, theme songs, offline sync etc). Otherwise there's nothing stopping you from installing it on your machine and piping your media all over the place.

It's free, but the developer makes money through the optional subscription. Mobile apps are a one-time fee, too, unless you're a subscriber.
>>
>>56303383
I use plex. It's free and it's awesome.
>>
> I want to make a media server but I came across plex

Which isn't the opposite of that, but okay. Plex is okay, and I've been running it since the first version or two. Sorting non-mainstream shows (Lynda videos, excercise shows, etc.) is a bigger pain I'm the ass than should be, and the tools to back up your configs/metadata are effectively absent. But it works on everything, just don't give it a weak POS for a CPU if you want to transcode on the fly.
>>
>>56305213
Thats where AMD really shines.
>>
File: 1447573355030.jpg (31KB, 507x459px) Image search: [Google]
1447573355030.jpg
31KB, 507x459px
>bought nexus player
>use plex, works great
>buy a NAS so I don't need to rely on my desktop
>NAS isn't powerful enough for transcoding
>Plex app doesn't think Nexus Player can do AC3 so half of videos refuse to play
>forced to use Kodi with Plexbmc
I'm such a cheap fucking idiot
>>
>>56303383
Would plex run on a raspberry pi II? I have mine sitting around and need a use for it
>>
>>56306684
IT does, theres a whole distro called rasplex
>>
>>56303383
I thought plex was free. I have it installed on my RPi and use my phone to cast shit to my Chromecast on my downstairs television (non-smart TV). What do you mean it isn't free? I don't think it's free if you want to open your ports up to access your media from outside your local area network but inside your network it's fine.
>>
>>56306719
There is some stuff behind a pay wall but the local stuff is all free
>>
>>56306733
Do you need to access it outside your network? I'm pretty sure it is actually a soft paywall, all you need to do is register an account on a fake email.
>>
>>56306751
The main advantage of the subscription is to stream to yourself over the internet (outside the house) rather than just over your network.
It also gives you movie trailers and the ability to try certain plex apps before they're public.
>>
>>56306770
I guess if it's worth it to you then there's no problem there. I don't really have much use for plex outside my house. I can still queue torrents to my RPi which get downloaded to the plex folder and be finished for when I get back from work or whatever. My upstream isn't really good enough to stream 1080p as it is.
>>
Get Kodi, set it up well. Haven't downloaded anything anymore now that Kodi just picks the best stream of whatever you want to watch at any time.
>>
>>56306770
No, you can do that with the free version
>>
>>56303383
Just werks tier.

RSS fed torrents + Plex + Roku. It doesn't get any easier.
>>
>>56307331
>It doesn't get any easier.
it actually does.
Try Sonarr or Sickrage.
You don't even need to set up RSS feeds for each show with filters and all that crap, just search the show and add it.
>>
>>56307331
>torrents + Plex + Roku. It doesn't get any easier.
/thread
>>
>>56306770
The big one for me was multiple queues so watched/unwatched is strictly yours. You can set your roommate/parents/gf/whatever up with another local account and you control what media they can access.
>>
>>56307375
I'll check that out, thx.
>>
>>56307375
i use sonarr + emby + kodi
it's pretty nice, add a show in sonarr once and everything else handles itself
>>
>>56303383
Plex is free for network use and if you want to stream out you set up a vpn, the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>56306751
Personally I do as I serve media to friends and family and stream myself while driving
>>
Best setup is Couch potato, sick rage, headphones > deluge, nzbget > Plex
>>
>>56307331 Where do you run plex? In freenas jail?
>>
File: 1454117753110.jpg (451KB, 849x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1454117753110.jpg
451KB, 849x1200px
Is a WebDav server (Owncloud) a good solution, with Kodi as a client?
Any reason why I should be using other kinds of server?
>>
>>56306513
You know you can force it to use AC3 right?
>>
I use Serviio. Thanks to a hack I can enable pro mode for free and thus have access to the remote access feature. Serviio + WD TV Live player (s) = just work. No problems at all. Thanks to WD player's wide range of format support I don't gotta bother with enable transcoding from one format to another.
>>
>>56303383
Plex is best for ease-of-access. The Android and iPhone apps make it easy to share media with friends and family.
The server is also present on every platform, so that's a plus. (Choose BSD)
>>
>>56303855
kill urself
>>
>>56311086
My old i3 2120 desktop (now strictly server) running Debian and a mixture of HDs that as I kill replace with WD reds. It'll do local streaming to my Roku and an external client transcoding 1080p simultaneously. If my second client (parents) start using it regularly and I have performance problems I'll upgrade to an off-lease workstation with dual Xeons. Havent looked into freenas a lot but some people do it. I just like a Debian environment because I'm familiar with it.

Honestly Plex's lifetime subscription was the only software I thought was worth buying in a decade.
>>
File: 1454626241508.jpg (931KB, 1131x800px) Image search: [Google]
1454626241508.jpg
931KB, 1131x800px
What's your favorite network Android music player?
>>
>>56306770
You don't need to pay to be able to stream outside your network.

Why do so many people think this?
>>
>>56304225
>beastly
I accidentally read that as bestiality
>>
>>56313822
This. The free version works fine outside your network. My wife and I used it like this for a while until we got tired of having a shared queue and went pro.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.