[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me set up a computer for autism spectrum teenagers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: hqdefault (6).jpg (32KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (6).jpg
32KB, 480x360px
I work with kids 12-18 who have autism/Asperger's. They were gonna throw out this shitty old Dell because a kid kicked the front part of the case off, but I'm pretty sure it still works. I wanna format it and put Ubuntu on it.

I've only put it on one computer, so I'm far from an expert. Beyond getting it installed, I'm looking for tips on the following:

1) Applications and games that would be good for kids with sensory sensitivities. Is there some equivalent to the Play store that would be easy to shop through stuff? Any games would be good, especially things that can be saved at any point (lots of arguments about getting off the games when their time is up)

2) What's the best music app? I want to be able to have a lot of calming music on there, but is there any music player that requires permission to add/delete music? Otherwise, they're going to constantly be asking to use it to put their dumbshit music on it and burn CDs and whatnot. Even if that's not an option, what's your recommendation for something simple and straightforward?

3) Security. I know Linux, at least in setting it up, involves some degree of entornetting, but I'm not sure if it's gonna be connected or not. We do have an overactive firewall that blocks basically the internet. It'd be a lot easier if maybe I had to log them in to open the browser or something. I'm more worried about them putting crap on there with flash drives, etc. I don't really have specific concerns, but I want it to feel more like a workstation with specific applications they can use, rather than a wide open computer for them to be devious teenagers about. I'm sure they'll still find ways to get in trouble with it but I think if there's enough good stuff to do, they'll be less likely to think of hoodrat things to do to impress their friends.

Any other things I should consider?
>>
Come on I know at least 50% of you have autism so you should be able to help me
>>
>>56303228
>help me make a computer for myself
>>
Just let them play Minecraft
>>
>>56303228
>Computers for autists
Boy, have you come to the right place!!
>>
>>56303298
Didn't know this was ylyl
>>
My nephew has autism. He likes playing really bad flash games and watching people play minecraft. Anything with numbers would be good. Multiplication tables, periodic tables, genius book of world records, flash cards, trivia, that kind of shit.
>>
>>56303228
1. If there is anyone on /v/ willing to help, they may be better at recommending vidya. Minecraft might be a good idea, like other posters have said. Steam has a lot of games for linux.
2. Don't know of any music apps with the permission functionality. I've never used mpd, so perhaps others can attest to the ease of making that autist proof. Otherwise, for something simple that is half usable, get Deadbeef, which can have a lot stripped from the GUI.
3. As an admin, you could set up an account for your autists so that they only have read and execute permissions to the folder with the vidya and browser. Read up on chmod and the concepts of groups and users in linux.
>>
>>56303228
1) if you install Ubuntu or a derivative of it, you get an app center which has plenty of "games for kids". As other anons said, you can download minecraft. You should also do a quick Google search for the type of games you want.
2) you can protect individual files from deletion by other users, it's easy, then just let them use a guest account. This way you can use any music app you want.
3) same as above, just deny them from doing stuff. You can also prevent external storage from mounting.
>>
1. Install an SSD

Seriously, throw an SSD in it, and stick it in a durable case. They can kick that shit in all they want and it doesn't really matter- the hard drive is the g-force sensitive part, really.
>>
>>56303228
I'm not going to do your job for free, faggot. Go kill yourself.
>>
File: drink til u want me.png (597KB, 699x490px) Image search: [Google]
drink til u want me.png
597KB, 699x490px
Tfw no autism club to hang out in.
>>
>>56303641
this in general, if you only give 'm R and X permissions to the whole damn machine they can't do shit.
>>
>>56303850
>the hard drive is the g-force sensitive part, really.
>>
File: hide-the-pain-harold.jpg (82KB, 660x495px) Image search: [Google]
hide-the-pain-harold.jpg
82KB, 660x495px
>>56303228
>It's a Millennial autists ask Millennial autists about Millennial autists thread
>>
File: FB_IMG_1467703711610.jpg (66KB, 601x800px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1467703711610.jpg
66KB, 601x800px
>>56303228

Cool b8, m8
>>
>>56304002
Who is that semen demon?
>>
>>56303487
stop it you write for nothing
>>
>>56303228
This is the wrong place for you, /g/ support /g/roup specializes in working with autistic manchildren between the ages of 19 - 35
>>
File: serveimage-1.jpg (35KB, 640x530px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage-1.jpg
35KB, 640x530px
>>56303228
>image
Go back to your containment board, stormtard.
>>>pol
>>
File: serveimage-2.jpg (81KB, 850x400px)
serveimage-2.jpg
81KB, 850x400px
>>56303228
Take your racist bigoted ass back to /pol/, faggot.
>>
Make sure there's nothing on the desktop. I mean absolutely nothing. Otherwise they will be bothered by the icon arrangement.
>>
>>56303228
Based on my experience on an autism support forum, people with autism particularly appreciate the intricacies of the Gentoo operating system. So maybe try installing it with them?
>>
Assburger here. Hope I can be of help.
1. Ubuntu has a built-in software center. Get stuff from there. If you can't, use apt.
2. I personally like Clementine.
3. You can disable auto-mounting removable media in Ubuntu (or at least you used to be able to). You can also uninstall every browser so they can't access the Internet. Just make an account with no permissions on the /etc/sudoers file (or remove sudo altogether)
>>
If they have autism, gentoo will eventually make its way onto the computer.

At any rate, just go with minecraft.
>>
>>56304240
No need to remove sudo.

And you can modify default mount settings by editing /etc/fstab
>>
Just install arch or gentoo and fill the entire drive full of anime and hentai, they will appreciate a lot
And don't forget a loli picture as wallpaper
>>
>>56304152
>>56304182
samefag
>>
epic OP post kekekekeke
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.