[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Calling forth /g/entoomen who use linux as their main OS and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: AMD-Radeon-RX-470-Specifications.jpg (214KB, 1200x685px) Image search: [Google]
AMD-Radeon-RX-470-Specifications.jpg
214KB, 1200x685px
Calling forth /g/entoomen who use linux as their main OS and own either an RX 400 series or an GTX 1000 series GPU.
I'm thinking about buying an new GPU, but I'm worried about how well it works on linux.
Particularly, I want to know if those models who turn off the fans at idle still do so when using linux with either the free or the non-free drivers, and how is power usage.
Also how usable it is with the both the free and non-free drivers for desktop and video watching (from h264 1080p to h265 4k at 60fps).
I understand that the GTX1000 series still have no open-source support whatsoever for linux? I'd consider using the closed source driver, but that means the second they decide to stop supporting my particular model I cannot change kernels or the Xorg version, so that is a no-go.
I don't really mind the poor 3D performance of AMD on linux, I always boot to windows if I'm going to play games anyway. As long as I can run basic 2D games, normal desktop usage and video watching, I'm satisfied. But having proper power and fan control is a big bonus.
If the power management on the open source AMD driver is poor to non-existent then I might consider getting the NVIDIA and just hope they come out with an usable open-source driver before dropping support for my GPU.

TL;DR: If you have an RX400 or GTX1000 and use linux, how well do the free driver work for desktop usage, video watching and power management?
>>
same boat, want to get AMD because open sores and duopoly>monopoly

pls reply
>>
Come on, you faggots spend your time either shilling for AMD/NVDIA or installing Gentoo, there is no one better qualified to help me out here.
>>
Well, trying one last bump
>>
>>56302573
basically this
>>56302738
>>
>>56302573
So I guess you know only kernel 4.7 supports the new AMD cards?
>>
>>56303916
>only kernel 4.7 supports the new AMD cards
As in it will not work at all with the older kernels?
Anyway that is acceptable. The kernel on debian backports is on 4.6 and should be updated to 4.7 in no more than a month, so that is fine with me.
Do you know exactly how good is the drivers, disregarding 3d performance? I can find benchmarks and people mentioning it is supported, but no one saying how usable it actually is.
>>
>>56302573
I don't own a rx 400 or gtx 1000 series card but here's what I know:

- Turning off fans at idle is going to work on any os and any driver since it's bios-level functionality

- Gtx 1000 cards work with open source drivers but have no 3d acceleration so they're basically useless

- The nvidia closed source driver is the best but yes once support stops you are stuck with outdated kernels

- Amd open source drivers don't have poor 3d performance, they're actually pretty usable for gaming, power management works and you can even oc, but you need a kernel >= 4.7

- I wouldn't hope for usable open source drivers in a reasonable timeframe for nvidia stuff, I'm on a gtx 780 and noveau still sucks after all this time, and due to nvidia not releasing firmware blobs it's going to be even worse for the newer cards
>>
I'm using 480 with 4.4 and I'm the hybrid drivers with no problem. The fully OS drivers work with kernel 4.7+.
>>
>>56304011
Thanks anon, that helps a lot. I guess I will be getting a RX470 then.
If the differente between open-source AMD and closed source NVIDIA is only improved 3D performance I have no reason to get the NVDIA. Fuck their behavior towards the open-source community.
Also, I'm quite sure the open source GTX1000 drivers don't even have basic stuff like video decoding, power management, etc so they are worse than useless.
>>
>>56304031
Hybrid drivers? What would be that?
>>
>>56304089
A massive bug-ridden mess.
>>
Nvidia drivers seem to work much better with Linux than amd. Many steam games that work with Linux simply do not work with amd. I would always have to alternate between open and proprietary drivers based on what game I wanted to play when I had an amd card.

Everything just works with proprietary Nvidia on Linux. Steam in home streaming is also significantly better with Nvidia rather than amd - in host and client. This is how I can play stuff like battlefront, GTA 5, Witcher 3 etc in 1440p on my Gentoo install.
>>
>Using Linux
>For """""""""""""""""""Gayming"""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>56304390
I boot windows for gaming (which I rarely do nowadays), but for real work I got to use linux.
Thinking about setting up a VM with GPU pass trough, but the trouble and performance hit probably won't be worth it...
>>
>>56302573
>how well do the free driver work for desktop usage, video watching and power management?
- Desktop usage is fine. RX470 should be able to run KDE / Unity / Gnome3 just fine.
- Power Management and fan control was done a long time ago.
- I can watch 1080p h265 just fine with my HD7950, and I'm using CPU decoding. I haven't tinkered with GPU decoding for a while. Not sure if it's still VAAPI, or they moved to OpenMAX.

>poor 3d performance
I won't say it's poor, it's just not as optimized. Nvidia proprietary drivers does things like replacing shaders for known games with their own optimized shaders. fglrx does this a bit poorly, I don't think Mesa does this at all. Anyway, I was able to play bastion, dota 2 and cs:go just fine with my HD 7950.
>>
>>56304613
>Thinking about setting up a VM with GPU pass trough, but the trouble and performance hit probably won't be worth it...
I did back then, it was troublesome. You needed the right hardware (motherboard with virtualization and IOMMU support, CPU that also supports it), and you needed to patch qemu as well. Things are supposed to be better now that they implemented things like VFIO and GPU reset.

But with falling hardware prices, personally I think it's better to have a second PC. If you do GPU passthrough VM, one small hardware failure means both system goes down.
>>
>>56304777
I read that you cannot control the fan speed directly, just set the power profile and the driver will control it.
And that is a deliberate design decision because letting the user control the fan is 'too dangerous'. Sigh. Anyhow, as long as the fans turn off at idle like advertised I don't even care.

>>56304832
The right hardware is no problem. I'm building a workstation so I have full support for just about every kind of virtualization, but I'm sort of lazy to patch QEMU (I figured that would be mainline after all these years).
I don't really have the space nor the budget to have a second PC, and hardware reliability is not that much of an issue. Dual booting works quite fine for me if GPU passthrough ends up being too much work.
Did you have a performance impact back when you did it?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.