[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ESXi Host Only Network

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: VBoxSettings.png (37KB, 1070x393px) Image search: [Google]
VBoxSettings.png
37KB, 1070x393px
Hi /g/ I've recently decided to get more serious about virtualization and am switching over to ESXi over VirtualBox. I have proper hardware, and have managed to get everything installed and all my machines created and cloned out successfully. I just have one hang up at the moment. When I was using VirtualBox I was using a combination of Bridged Adapters and Host Only Networking. Bridge to let me/ others RDP into them, and Host Only for applications on them to communicate with each other.

So far I have found how to recreate this same sort of setup in ESXi with one drawback. I do not know what is determining the IP/ Default Gateway/ Subnet of my machines in ESXi. I have created a virtual switch that these machines are attached to with no physical NIC. When I do this their host operating systems come up with IP addresses beginning with 169.254 and that seems to be causing other issues. My question is what populates these addresses and how can I specify an IP range to draw from? I'm thinking something like (pic related) where VirtualBox would just allow you to specify an IP range and assign out static addresses at the software level.

Is this even possible in ESXi? If not other recommendations are appreciated.
>>
>>56299999

checked
>>
>>56299999
Wat...

I'm sure there may be a setting somwhere for the built in dhcp. But really?

So when you plop down a switch in the middle of the room, and plug a few computers in, you expect ip addresses?
>>
File: 1457414461582.jpg (10KB, 250x207px) Image search: [Google]
1457414461582.jpg
10KB, 250x207px
>>56299999
>>56300011
check 'em
>>
File: 1355739283325.jpg (237KB, 1100x1380px) Image search: [Google]
1355739283325.jpg
237KB, 1100x1380px
>>56299999
Checked
>>
>>56299999

169.254 is a link-local address that the OS is supplying since there is no response to DHCP requests.

Do you need DHCP? It would be pretty simple to simply set up statics.

If not,IP Pools comes to mind if you don't want to set up a DHCP server.
>>
>>56300055

Yea I guess I just got kind of spoiled by VirtualBox, or actual physical routers handling this piece of it for me. So now I'm not really sure what to do when the network is all internal like this. I get that local ip, but it just doesn't seem like I can do much with it.

Basically what I'm looking for is a software solution to having my own internal router. So I can reserve ip addresses and have something that makes it easy for the machines to communicate amongst each other.
>>
>>56300136
Well if you want a ghetto way
>install pfsense in vm
>give it a nic for external facing vswitch
>give it a nic for host only vswitch
>>
>>56300072

In this case it's actually better for me if they're static. I thought IP Pools were only for vApps, which to be honest I'm not even too sure what they are.
>>
This thread made me realize my esxi server has been dead for 42 days...
There goes my uptime of over 300 days.
>>
>>56300170

Just set up IPs on the correct subnet with each other,don't think you even need a gateway since nothing is leaving.

And no,IP Pools aren't only for vApps.

You can assign them to switches and it'll hand them out for you.
>>
>>56300232

Thank you for the help so far! If it's not too much could you tell me a little more, how would I go about creating an IP Pool and assigning it to a switch? I really can't seem to find any documentation on it that doesn't mention vApps, and haven't found IP Pools by just digging around in my vSphere yet either. If you have any general direction or documentation that would be amazing.
>>
>>56300282
Well, in a proper setup, you would just do it all static if you really needed a private network between servers.
Or I suppose you could just add it to a vlan to your network and just put another pool on the dhcp server for it.
>>
>>56299999
169.254 addresses are autoconfigured by the clients themselves when they can't get a valid DHCP address.
Just install some networking-oriented distro like pfsense or openWRT in a VM and use that as a DHCP server if ESXi doesn't have a built-in one.
>>
>>56300335

If this was a 24/7 home server everything would be static. I suppose it's important to mention this server spends a lot of time at work and I really don't want to work with our IT department to get an IP every time I'm spinning up a new VM.

VLANs were another thing I was looking at, but it seemed pretty far outside of my knowledge base. And I wasn't sure if it was worth the time to learn, or if it'd actually be the answer to my problem.
>>
>>56300000
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.