[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gentoo vs Ubuntu?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: gentoo-logo.jpg (19KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
gentoo-logo.jpg
19KB, 400x400px
I've been using i3 on Ubuntu for over a year now. What are the merits of Gentoo over Ubuntu?
>>
Faster boot times.
>>
Your penis grows in size.
>>
Is it possible to migrate a Gentoo install to a new drive?
>>
>>56298521
Rolling release, a better understanding of Linux. Not having to use system d (if that matters to you).
>>
Way lower memory usage (if you don't break use flags, and use USE flags like this: http://hastebin.com/viwolavipu.diff
You can get 100MB memory usage (with Xorg, compton with shadows and effects, multiple conky scripts, syndaemon disable while typing, redshift, urxvtd, xautolock running)

The only reason to use Gentoo is for lower memory usage, speed, and avoiding freedesktop/waylandlennartware/redhat/GNOME, to do avoid the above shitware, just use the above USE flags and see pic related.
>>
>>56298567
dd the whole thing to a new drive and resize the partitions to match is likely the simplest way it could be done

You could also for example just do a fresh install, copy over the relevant old config files and run
emerge -av world
(this could be speed up by making binary packages of the old system with quickpkg). Then just move over your old home folder and done.

>>56299901
You should also use
ACCEPT_LICENSE=-GPL-3
for good measure
>>
>>56298521
If I don't know anything about C, will I have a hard time maintaining a Gentoo installation? The only programming languages I know are Python and Java.
>>
>>56301603
Providing you're not running it on a toaster, you will get very little benefit from using gentoo over *buntu as a beginner, and will have many more problems when it comes to maintenance.

That said, portage is incredibly comfy once you've passed the initial learning phase and the documentation is quite good.

Also your choice of wm is not in any way relevant to your distribution of choice. i3 users are like fucking vegans.
>>
>>56299494
> better understanding of Linux
can be a pro or a con. For a casual user this might not be worth the time spent learning and solving problems.

>>56298521
You should try gentoo in a vm and play with it. Don't forget to make snapshot.
source-based distros can be an hassle if you need a special software, during a new lesson for example.
I remember the gentoo guy in my class spent the first pratical computer architecture lesson installing gtk3 + ddd because debugging assembly in a terminal is a nightmare.
His old ass ibm thinkpad was not powerful enough to finish compiling during the lesson.

All I had to do was
sudo apt install ddd
>>
>>56299901
>The only reason to use Gentoo is for lower memory usage, speed

Apart from you have to compile fucking everything which uses a lot of ram, disk space and time. Damn Gentoo users are fucking retarded lmfao.
>>
>>56298521
You become a God
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.