[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

servers n shiet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: serveimage(3).png (16KB, 1200x384px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage(3).png
16KB, 1200x384px
Who /proxmox/ here?
>>
>>56298459
What server did Hillary use?
>>
>>56298587
She ran an exchange server on windows server 2008.
>>
>>56298459
I'm thinking of making my personal computer a virtual server, so it would be simpler to reboot, save snapshot, duplicate, multiboot, have clean installs, sandbox, etc.

Is this a good idea ? Why do we still use desktop computer with OS directly installed instead of a virtualisation server, cause it seems really convenient to me.
>>
>>56298459
Running 3 Proxmox servers here. Swapped from ESXi + Vcenter.
>>
Used to use it, dropped it since I didn't really use it anyway. Then moved to xen, then just said fuck it and stopped using VMs for awhile. Then started just using LXC and docker, though I could get away with just using docker, need to convert the one LXC VM though I have first.

That and ZFS makes it easy to setup a cache, with proxmox I used flashcache which was a huge pain in the ass.
>>
Proxmox is fucking trash.
>>
>>56298837
Virtualization is safer and better in most regards, but there is a downside. It's more complex to set up and resource usage is increased because of the virtualization layer.

It's mostly the pain in the ass setup process that kills the idea though. But if you can be bothered doing it, it's not a bad idea.
>>
>>56299496
Fuck off namefag
>>
>>56298837
It depends on what kind of usage you would be planning with it. For good performance you'll want to at least passthrough a GPU (even a $20 OEM card) to it. Otherwise you will will not have much VRAM to work with for anything more than youtube. It is a smart idea, as it is safer, but be aware performance will be affected because of virtualization. You can paravirtualize with VirtIO drivers for example with QEMU, however, for hardware such as your virtual disk and network interface. Helped a ton on my Windows 8.1 media center VM running from my Debian box.

Transfers with regular virtualization: ~30mb/s
Transfers with VirtIO paravirtualization: 100mb/s.

I'd just play around with it, it sounds like a smart idea, you just need to make sure you are maximizing your performance as you go along setting it up.
>>
>>56298837
them maybe you should consider giving Qubes OS a shot
>>
>>56298837
Did that with proxmox. Add Debian repo, install minimal X to access the VM's. It's pretty nice.
>>
Used Proxmox for years, but now I use mostly VMware at my job. To be honest, I like VMware a hell of a lot better.
>>
>>56299496
Tell us more.
>>
>>56305101
Why is that? I've only used proxmox so far.
>>
>>56298459
>not using a gentoo xen host
>>
>>56298459
I installed the latest version of that and I couldn't find a way to install templates for VM's
>>
>>56305434
Make a template by right clicking the VM in the side bar. Then once it's done all you do is right click and click clone. Do a full clone or linked clone.

Pretty sure I'm on the latest release.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.