[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I put liquid nitrogen in my liquid cooler will it work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: gettyimages-128557595.jpg (66KB, 1100x1123px) Image search: [Google]
gettyimages-128557595.jpg
66KB, 1100x1123px
If I put liquid nitrogen in my liquid cooler will it work?
>>
>>56296784
In a liquid cooling loop? No, it will probably blow up.
>>
>>56296784
no it will broke
>>
Don't do it, causes nerve gas
>>
>>56296784
It would be extremely painful
>>
>>56296784
It will literally explode.
>>
>>56296805
U U U U
U
U
U
>>
OP recently died. Dont expect a reply.
>>
>>56296784
From the replies so far it's obvius nobody knows.
Do the experiment and report back to us, Inquiring OP. Take copious notes so there's something to be gained if you don't survive.
>>
>>56298047
If I do it i will do it in a test machine and run away like fucking sonic
>>
>>56296784
>Not using hot magma like a real gamer
>Le end oneself?
>>
>>56296805
YOUR A COOL GUY
>>
File: 1443131171696.jpg (1MB, 2000x1422px) Image search: [Google]
1443131171696.jpg
1MB, 2000x1422px
>>56296825
FOUR (4) U
>>
Not op, but what if for science reasons I used propane running through a regulator through a copper pipe and then expelling out an exhaust vent somewhere? propane gas is like -50C or something, the only thing that could go wrong is a spark from the electronics or something shorting out from the condensation (which cause sparks).

It would be crazy impractical because of having to constantly change propane tanks, but I think it would be cool to make a computer built for hank hill
>>
It will literally blow up. The liquid nitrogen will quickly evaporate into gaseous nitrogen, and the closed system won't be able to handle the excess pressure. So the pressure will escape at the weakest point in your system, which will probably be at a hose clamp or something.
>>
>>56299467
This is the stupidest idea I've ever heard
>>
>>56296784
Actually, is there any possible way to keep liquid nitrogen in a closed loop for cooling purposes?

I imagine there's some kind of physics issue dealing with energy exchange and entropy that makes it not possible, but if you could build a closed watercooling loop that was capable of withstanding the pressure of the liquid nitrogen, what would happen?

For that matter, is there any way you could make liquid nitrogen based cooling practical?
>>
>>56302482
PC liquid cooling systems can't make the liquid any cooler than room temperature. Radiating heat through a heatsink/radiator only works if the liquid is hotter than the surrounding air.

Liquid nitrogen boils at −196 °C temperature, so it's not going to work when your cooling system can't get anything below 20°C. The cooling system would need to use a heat pump like in a freezer.

> build a closed watercooling loop that was capable of withstanding the pressure of the liquid nitrogen, what would happen?
You mean room temperature liquid nitrogen but under so much pressure it can't turn into a gas? What would even be the point? just use room temperature water.
>>
>>56302482
>is there any possible way to keep liquid nitrogen in a closed loop for cooling purposes?
Well, yes, there is. MRI machines need to do that to keep their superconducting magnets cool.

But not with the equipment OP has: it is very much not built for that and all he'll get is a big, very nasty vapour explosion.

>>56298738
>i will do it in a test machine and run away like fucking sonic
Well, if you do it, post it on YouTube.

Putting LNO2 in closed things that can't properly handle a metric fuckton of pressure when it heats up and expands will cause one hell of a nasty explosion.

>>56299467
>the only thing that could go wrong
If you do that, post it on YouTube too. I bet you go posthumously viral.

Really these don't seem like things you should be doing if you can't work this out.
>>
>>56296784
Even if you found a way to keep the liquid nitrogen from expanding and keep it cool. The surrounding parts will attract any form of condensation in the air. You can potentially freeze lock your cpu as well.
>>
>>56303102
>>56302482
It is still not a closed loop. We spend a fucktonne of money keeping our NMR and everything cooled down because it is constantly venting off gas.
>>
>>56302482
Yes but it'd have to be kept at extremely high pressures to keep it liquid.
And as you're keeping it liquid, it isn't actually very useful since liquid nitrogen's heat conductivity is pretty low compared to say, water.

Use water dude, the limit of water cooling is not the thermal conductivity of the liquid but the radiation of the heat the water collects later in the loop.

The best water cooling loop gets into thermal equilibrium with the heat source as it passes, and then becomes in thermal equilibrium with the air as it passes through the radiator.
IE; it takes the excess heat from the CPU and puts it into the air.
>>
>>56303491
I think there's people here who fundamentally misunderstand how heat works.
Like they think that if you can keep liquid nitrogen from evaporating it'll stay cold forever.
There's two ways to keep liquid nitrogen from evaporating:
1. Increase the pressure.
2. Decrease (or maintain) the temperature.

IE you either super-pressurise it in a fucking steel gas canister so it stays a liquid at room temperature, or use refrigeration or something to lower the temperature.

Seriously, this is /g/ and people are completely fucking ignorant of basic, basic fucking basic thermodynamics.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.