[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just installed debian w/o desktop environment. Feels hard man.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: lynx_zaphu_large.png (197KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
lynx_zaphu_large.png
197KB, 1680x1050px
Just installed debian w/o desktop environment.

Feels hard man. How the fuck does stallman get anything meaningful done w/o a desktop environment? Isn't this mode only meant for headless servers?
>>
>>56294279
>How the fuck does stallman get anything meaningful done w/o a desktop environment?
>[Citation Needed
It depends on what you need to do. Maybe Stallman doesn't need a graphical interface to manage his shit, because that's not something he needs another program to worry about. Some people use WMs over a full blown DE because they are more productive on a WM.

It's all a matter of taste and doing what you like, the way you like it.
>>
Stallman uses Trisquel Linux.
https://trisquel.info/
>>
>>56294279
>Just installed debian
Enjoy your decades old shitty package manager
>>
>>56294279
First, Stallman is a die-hard emacs user, since he wrote it.
Second, Stallman uses graphical mode to use a browser when he has to.
>>
File: wEZTmC.png (370KB, 400x514px) Image search: [Google]
wEZTmC.png
370KB, 400x514px
>>56294927
to be honest lad you got baited
>>
>>56295123
retard
>>
Stallman uses his computer mainly for text editing, says so on his website.

When he needs a GUI he just uses xorg.

He does text editing through emacs.

It's all explained on his website.

Here's a little gem of autism from him

>A friend once asked me to watch a video with her that she was going to display on her computer using Netflix. I declined, saying that Netflix was such an affront to freedom that I could not be party to its use under any circumstances whatsoever.

>These streaming dis-services are malicious technology designed to make people antisocial. (If you don't have a copy, you can't share copies.) Rejecting them is of the highest ethical priority.

>Out, out, damned Spotify! Flick off, Netflix!
>>
>>56295096
>i have no idea what i'm talking about other than the shitposts i read on /g/
ftfy
>>
>>56295224
It's funny that the guy telling other people how to use a computer actually uses his computer for rather (from a computational viewpoint) primitive stuff. It's probably pretty easy to let go of proprietary software when you don't actually use your computer for any advanced stuff whatsoever.
>>
>>56295268
lmao apt is garbage, can't even delete unused packages
>>
>>56295351
games and photoshop aren't "advanced stuff"
and for everything else there is FOSS software
>>
File: 1336884166189.png (8KB, 570x533px) Image search: [Google]
1336884166189.png
8KB, 570x533px
You aren't going to be harnessing the power of Linux at all unless you learn to work from a shell. The terminal is the single greatest thing about Linux. You can do anything and everything from terminal. Learn it and love it.
>>
>>56295373
>i have no idea what i'm talking about
ftfy ... again.. kid, try at least reading up on the bullshit you repeat without thinking. you are really embarrassing yourself
>>
>>56295422
>lol u hav no idea xddd
Is this your general way of responding when you get cornered?
>>
>>56295351
Yeah, you need to figure out how to strike a balance, for me that's usually: see if there's a FOSS way of doing something, if not: decide how much time I want to spend on it - if I can spare the time (and care enough about the problem) try and solve it myself, otherwise - just use the non-FOSS solution for now and actually achieve the task I needed to in the first place.
>>
>>56295454
 ~ % apt-get|grep autoremove
autoremove - Remove automatically all unused packages

now stop embarrassing yourself kid
>>
File: 1443913254751.jpg (18KB, 207x222px) Image search: [Google]
1443913254751.jpg
18KB, 207x222px
>>56295224
>dictionary definition of social is a gathering
>watching netflix with someone else is antisocial
>sharing copies is social
I don't understand
>>
>>56295456
>just use the non-FOSS solution
> just use the non-FOSS solution for now and actually achieve the task I needed to in the first place.
>actually achieve the task I needed to in the first place.
freetards BTFO
>>
>>56295510
>apt-get autoremove -y --purge gnome
>which gnome-weather:
>/usr/bin/gnome-weather

Your next reply:
>You uninstalled gnome, not gnome-weather
hahahahaha too easy
>>
>>56295552
gnome is a fucking metapackage, it even says so in the description, but you already showed that you are too retarded to read, so i can't blame you for that.
>>
File: 1470930284936.jpg (447KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1470930284936.jpg
447KB, 800x800px
>>56295552
>>56295574
Clockwork
>>
>>56295574
Do you know what metapackage means?
>>
>>56295531
It's kind of funny, because I do mostly use FOSS stuff. For instance, I pretty much exclusively use Debian, but haven't lost a single nights sleep over using contrib and nonfree
>>
>>56295608
yes, and you don't seem the grasp that they are only intended to install a bundle of related software, but not to remove them
>>
>>56295574
>You uninstalled gnome, not gnome-weather
Holy shit, legit kek
>>
>Anon, get rid of the box
Debautist throws away the box, not the contents
>Anon what are you doin?
>>""You told me to throw away the box, not all the contents in it""

A U T I S M
U
T
I
S
M
>>
>>56295635
And yet every half-decent package manager uninstalls the related software when you remove the metapackage.
>>
>>56295838
It's simple
>Remove meta package
>Also remove unused packaes

Too bad apt is retarded
>>
>How the fuck does stallman get anything meaningful done w/o a desktop environment?
All he needs is a text editor (Emacs) for replying to emails. Back in the day, he wod also write GNU code, but again he could do that in Emacs
>>
File a bug? Feature request?
>>
>>56295224
netflix and no chill
>>
>>56294279
He does everything in emacs.
>>
>>56294279
He doesn't.
>>
>>56295224
>flick off
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.