[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so i just graduated after 5 years with info systeming degree

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: image.png (4MB, 1884x2202px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
4MB, 1884x2202px
so i just graduated after 5 years with info systeming degree. some part IT/business degree that really works for consulting and project managing for tech shit, yada yada.

threw all my shit in storage, packed my backpack, did some scouting around in other countries, back at home hunting for a job, with about 2 weeks until i pick up a trade job so i have some income while i look for a job relevant to my degree.

i have shitty satellite right now, with nothing but a macbook air and a fuck ton of free time.

aside from lightweight programming (software isnt my thing. cant stand it), what are some IS projects i can pick up for the next few weeks to polish up what i learned and keep my edge? right now im losing my mind doing farm work and reading, and really just need to pick up some IS skills to make myself more marketable...

json, sql, .net, uml, all of this ive done before, but ive recently started to get into GIS, but idk what direction or respurces to use/go in to further myself in these. im basically strictly entry level at this point.

oh /g/, in all your wisdom, what do you suggest i do?
>>
TL;DR
>>
>>56288869
im trapped in a farmhouse with shitty internet and a lightweight computer with little processing pwoer. what are some IS projects i can pick up for the next few weeks to learn new skills and hone my current skills

that arent heavily programming related
and maybe relate to GIS
>>
File: image.jpg (56KB, 650x488px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56KB, 650x488px
>>56288977
forgot pic
>>
>>56288977
Try setting up a home network for them
>>
>>56289111
already have. satellite is the only limitting factor for them.
>>
Please tell me you did an internship in those 5 years?

I major in IS and I had an internship freshman year and got hired part time sophomore year.
>>
>>56289219
nein. spent the 5 years working through school picking up audio installation and production as a skill. yea yea, shouldve done an internship, fell for the "they wont pay you" meme. lesson learned. whats done is done
>>
File: image.png (121KB, 457x838px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
121KB, 457x838px
forgot alluring pic again
>>
>>56289258
I feel you. At least you were working throughout that.

What job do you want exactly?

I do homelab stuff like setting up a spacewalk server, openvpn, citrix. I then put that stuff on my resume.

Hopefully I can shift to full time system administrator at my company when I graduate.
>>
>>56289321
i would prefer not doing system administration. mostly data entry and updating, data architecting and analysis
>>
File: image.jpg (531KB, 1000x997px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
531KB, 1000x997px
lady pic
>>
>>56289258
It may not be too late to get some kind of internship work even though you've graduated. Not all internships are for school credit.

But +1 to getting a student/internship/apprenticeship position. I got a bachelors in Lit the first time I went to college, then got laid off after five years of teaching and had a really hard time finding work. Then I went into IT, got a 2 year degree and a student position, and now I'm making more than I ever did teaching. I wish you luck in your job search!
>>
>>56288844
kill yourself
>>
Look on the job posting sites.
Read the description for the job and tailor your resume to it; include the keywords they are looking for.

That's the best advice I can give you.

>>56290058
Data entry is literally a minimum wage job.
Surely you have more aspirations than that?
>>
>>56290058
>I would like to do data entry and updating

You literally want to type numbers and letters in excel files for a living?

Jokes aside, if you want to get into data, you should probably get familiar with some Amazon data shit (EMR, Redshift, the other data systems that they can provide) if you want to work on a smaller team/for a smaller company.

Read the most recent redbook (http://www.redbook.io/) and make sure you read and understand the articles that are being talked about - there's a lot of history that gets missed in school and a lot of marketing around bullshit "big data" products that's just wrong. Stonebraker won't wrong you intentionally.

Some really key things you'll likely have been missing from school:
- Read both data warehousing methods. Get and read the 3 newish edition Kimball books, check out Inmon's stuff http://www.inmoncif.com/home/ and hell, take a couple of those courses if you want. People went a little nuts with this stuff back when 32bit was the norm, because they had to try to figure out ways around file size and memory limitations, but 64bit processors pretty much shove everything back into sanity, and it's just a different way of storing data now.
- Columnar databases are pretty legit and will probably be around for a while.
- In-memory databases are pretty interesting (check out VoltDB for example), but I wouldn't spend so much time on this. It's cool, but has an uncertain future.
- You could look into Spark if that's your thing.
- Look into Tableau if that's your thing.
- Look into R if that's your thing.

Get an idea of what people really do when they work with data. You probably won't like all of it. Focus on the stuff you do like.
>>
>make a person site
>write about projects
>spout off opinions
>don't worry about making it too polished
>put it on linkedin/resume
>????
>profit
>>
File: image.jpg (121KB, 705x1018px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121KB, 705x1018px
>>56290306
>>56290487
mainly automated fat entry, like daily temperature recordings hourly and so forth. one job i was looking at revolved around sampling out in the field, putting in data, and working from there. obviously want to skip manually putting it in.

regarding what i liked, the field work excited me.

that being said, i guess i could throw together some sites that just handle some public databases and shit

arcGIS. are there any decent public runthroughs on how to begin working with that shit? GIS is cool and shit, but aside from a fuck ton of data, idk how to deal with the mapping information, or where to even begin, aside from some real estate research
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.