[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

F#

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: tryfsharp.jpg (5KB, 150x137px) Image search: [Google]
tryfsharp.jpg
5KB, 150x137px
Is F# any good or is it only for finance and banking?
>>
>>56280910
what is f#
>>
>>56282240
Functional C#, Microsoft's answer to Haskell.
>>
>>56282335
I know nothing about functional programming
I can't say anything
>>
>>56280910
Microsoft is a big red flag. Have they ever made anything good? Almost all of they products are result of A&M.
>>
>>56282889
It has some advantages, some algorithms are best expressed with it, but for 99% of your programming life you'll probably remain with straight procedural (maybe with OO in the background).

Finance and banking seems about right, highly algorithmic and a lot of preexisting .NET code. I wouldn't know because I've never seen a job advert ask for F#. The last financial institution I applied at was just a C# web service connected to mongo, probably ran quickly and has easier code to read than anything F#.
>>
I've been using F# on and off for about a year now. It's good for writing quick little scrap programs, including ones that shouldn't take up more than like 30-50 lines total for an entire windows form program or even console application. I really like it, but C# will always be my go to. However it is great for making DLLs or hybrid solutions since you can write them up in split seconds once you get used to the Python-similar syntax styles, but obviously it's more like ocaml since that was its design base, but I never really used ocaml much or sought much use for it in the first place. It's a great language and pretty comfy to program in, I really enjoy using it when I do get the chance to; but for bigger projects C# is just easier to manage and not look back on like "what the fuck did I write and what is this"
>>
>>56284988
Also, I do a lot of web development, haven't really used F# with web much but apparently it's extremely useful and companies are getting rid of PHP and or asp.net to use websharper instead because its built in web protocol handling makes server and client management the best thing in the world.
>>
this sounds interesting.
>>
>>56282335
>Microsoft's answer to Haskell.

More like Microsoft's answer to Scala.
>>
>>56280910
>only for finance and banking?
>Implying finance and banking use languages < 15 years old
>>
>>56280910

I really like this concept:

https://fsharpforfunandprofit.com/posts/no-uml-diagrams/

tl;dr - UML diagrams are fucked. F# mirrors that concept in actual code, even if that's not what your app runs in.
>>
>>56286112

Both F# and Scala dominates finance as "faster than Python and R" languages.
>>
What is the difference(s) between functional programming and object oriented programming. I never understood.
>>
>>56286265
OO was a much bigger meme in its prime. Completely non-technical directors used to sit me down and go

>Ok so you're going to write some code
>You're going to use objects right?
>How many objects?
>My golfing partner said his developers had 149 objects
>I'm going to need at least 150 objects
>You can do that right?
>>
>>56286087
It's objectively superior to Scala.
>>
>>56286292
What is an e object though?
>>
>>56286296
>>56286087
>>56282335
it's Microsoft's answer to ML
>>
>>56286292
topfuckingkek
Good thing OO is dead
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.