[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hard drive question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 55554839_p0.jpg (3MB, 1920x2715px) Image search: [Google]
55554839_p0.jpg
3MB, 1920x2715px
I just bought a Western digital 6 tb HD (blue).
Last night, I transferred about 3 tbs worth of data over from my previous hard drive. I then started transferring more files from another HD to it.

It died on me. I ran crystal disk info which gave me a caution due to a "pending sector count" error. I then quick formatted it with CHKDSK and the damn thing was flagged as bad.

Now here's my question.
Should a mass data transfer such as 3tb+ damage an HD in a single transfer? Or was the damn thing just defective?
>>
>>56265896
it's common to have a few bad blocks out of the box. Normally they're found and remapped before the drive gets to you, but whatever.

If you want to get rid of them, fire up dd and fill the drive with zeros (which will take a few days on a drive that big) The drive will either successfully write to the pending sectors and clear the warning, or it won't and it'll remap them to good ones.

Also, because many people don't get the message and think that if they just buy WD/Seagate/HGST/Toshiba/whatever they'll be fine, let's reiterate. YOU STILL NEED TO KEEP CURRENT BACKUPS WHATEVER YOU FUCKING DO AND WHATEVER DRIVE YOU GET. NO DRIVE BRAND OR SAFETY TECHNOLOGY EXCUSES YOU FROM THIS.
>>
>>56265896
>not HGST
ya dun goofed
>>
>>56266017
No.
>>
>>56265896
No, it wouldn't. I've done 1.5tb+ transfers after a drive died on me onto anothehttp://www.strawpoll.me/11079131r one, and this is a drive that's
- Been hanging by sata and power alone from my desk
- Fell several times
- Basically anything bad that could happen to a drive
>>
>>56266162
what, how did my clipboard get there?
>>
File: 55224010_p0_master1200.jpg (603KB, 901x1200px) Image search: [Google]
55224010_p0_master1200.jpg
603KB, 901x1200px
>>56266017
>>56266162

Yeah, I think I just got fucked over from a bad drive. With that being said, I have another question.

I heard that if a hard drive does die, its either normally in the first 2 weeks of use or many after afterwards. basically, after about a few weeks, I should be able to feel more secure about its lifespan.

Also, is there a good "stress test " program that can test the drive to make sure its not defective?
>>
>>56265896
I torrented a license of HDTunePro and I use that to stress and benchmark all of my drives. Just recived a Seagate 1TB HDD made back in February 2012 (during the hard drive crisis) and i had remembered that Backblaze had many issues with drives manufactured around this time. Ive been running it on that setup and erasing it with zeros just to confirm it wont die on me in the next week.
>>
more feet pics pls
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.