[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Find a flaw Protip: You can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: 1024px-EmacsIcon.svg.png (199KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1024px-EmacsIcon.svg.png
199KB, 1024x1024px
Find a flaw
Protip: You can't
>>
Broken pinkies
>>
>>56265717 (OP)
Emacs user who is considering moving to vim here.

The modifier key paradigm used by Emacs would make sense if modern keyboard layouts made sense. But unfortunately for all of us they don't, so vim is better in that regard.

Also the whole “if your task involves modifying text then do your task in Emacs” philosophy used to make sense when you could do pretty much anything in Emacs. But these days there are too many times you have to leave Emacs (e.g. web browsing) for this philosophy to be in any way consistent. Hence, Vim's unix — “do one job and do it well” — philosophy tends to make more sense these days.

Should I take the plunge or just keep hacking Emacs?
>>
File: spacemacs.png (97KB, 551x601px) Image search: [Google]
spacemacs.png
97KB, 551x601px
>>56265717
it's just a subset of pic related
>>
>>56266009
Stay with Emacs. Emacs 25 is getting a webkit browser.
>>
>>56265717
>Find a flaw
It's key combos are so good that you'll add them to firefox with the firemacs addon, which will render you unable to use other people's computers / editors.
>>
Unless you're writing something in lisp I don't see any reason for it. Just use vim or gedit and you'll miss none of the Michael Bay addons.
>>
There are proper text editors out there like atom, sublime, vscode. We're not in the 90's anymore
>>
>>56265717
I have heard from fellows smarter than I to use Emacs with Vim keybindings.
>>
>>56266335
>>56266335
No, no, no. The success and power of Vim and Emacs is the greatly improved ergonomics! You can edit much faster with less hand strain and without leaving the terminal.
>>
>>56266358
If you know vim then that seems like the best option. If it's your first editor you might as well just use the regular bindings.
>>
>>56265717
free and open memeware
>>
>>56265717
Emacs and Vim have only mediocre C++ syntax highlighting and no proper completion.

KDevelop does a better job at it because it utilizes clang. C++ is so complex that only a C++ compiler can parse and highlight it successfully.
>>
>>56266457
>C++ is so complex that only a C++ compiler can parse and highlight it successfully.
Even then they can't do it efficiently. Parsing C++ source code is an undecidable problem.
>>
>>56265717

I once opened emacs accidentally. I don't know how to quit. HALP!!!

- Sent from my GNU Emacs
>>
>>56268558
why would you want to? It has everything.
>>
>>56265717
The logo's kind of ugly. Great program though.
>>
>>56265717
as a an emacs user

which-func-mode with very large python files. It just hangs so I have to turn that off.
>>
>>56266009
>these days there are too many times you have to leave Emacs
Web browsing generally doesn't involve editing text, Emacs has a damn good web browser and Emacs 25 is getting Webkit and JS

Just install Evil and use Vim in Emacs.

Vim is anti-unix philosophy.

>Vim has spell checking compiled in
>Emacs uses your system's spell checker

>Vim has syntax highlighting compiled in
>Emacs uses an Emacs Lisp package for syntax highlighting

Do one job my ass, Vim is way more feature-bloated than Emacs core.
>>
File: only-retards-cant-quit.png (63KB, 1364x750px) Image search: [Google]
only-retards-cant-quit.png
63KB, 1364x750px
>>56268558
Are you retarded?
>>
Escape Meta Alt Control Shift
/thread
>>
>>56268796
>Emacs 25 is getting Webkit
Disgusting
>>
>>56268831
Twenty years from now (Neo)Vim will get an HTML renderer and vimfags will think it's the greatest shit ever invented.

Just look at built-in terminal emulators and async subprocesses.

Emacs is like Lisp, lots of revolutionary features that everyone else "rediscovers" decades later.
>>
>>56268858
I've got nothing against Emacs getting a browser engine. What's disgusting about it is that they chose WebKit.
>>
>>56268823
Generally Not Used Except by Middle Aged Computer Scientists
>>
>>56268858
>Just look at built-in terminal emulators and async subprocesses.

And its implementation is superior to Emacs's.

When Lua becomes the de-facto language for scripting Vim, there will be no reason for Emacs to exist anymore.

Have I mentioned Elisp is fucking slow?
>>
File: kdevelop-inlineproblemview1.png (327KB, 1441x901px) Image search: [Google]
kdevelop-inlineproblemview1.png
327KB, 1441x901px
>>56268545
clang is the best option so far and unlike gcc it has an API for editors.
Emacs and Vim really should use clang for syntax highlighting.

Pic related, probably the best C++ editor right now.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.