[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this true /g/? I've never heard of it.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: YRth7n8f.jpg (18KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
YRth7n8f.jpg
18KB, 400x400px
Hey /g/, so anyways I was in my local Costco yesterday and there was a DirecTV salesman in there trying to get to me to buy cable. I told him that we just do internet through Xfinity, no cable. Then the guy proceeds to tell me that when you are watching cable TV that slows down your internet. I've been a networking student for two years (maybe not cable specific) and I have never heard this before. I could understand if the guy was talking about streaming, but he was simply talking about watching cable TV.

The thing that would be slowing down your cable internet is streaming, downloading, and everyone else in the area due to cable being a shared medium.

That doesn't make sense for me for a few reason main being that even when your TV would be off the box is still getting signal...

I feel even stupid to even ask this.

tl;dr
Does watching cable TV slowdown your internet?
>>
Also to note that whenever I've had cable tv and internet. We've had two separate boxes that work independently of each other.
>>
File: lel.gif (338KB, 538x572px) Image search: [Google]
lel.gif
338KB, 538x572px
Paying for cable TV in 2016
>>
>>56265668
He would've told it cured cancer if it got him the sale

You should feel doubly stupid for both posting this question and not using the stupid questions thread
>>
>>56265668
>Does watching cable TV slowdown your internet?
Why don't you test it yourself? You know about speedtest?

>Flash
http://www.speedtest.net/

>HTML5
http://beta.speedtest.net/
>>
>>56265766
I don't have cable TV. Hence the reason for asking the question.
>>
>>56265708
You're forced to have it with Virgin Media internet.
>>
>>56265668

The answer is, NO, your internet is not slowed down if you use cable TV. The television signals are delivered at a higher spectrum than the internet.
>>
>>56265668
No.
>>
>>56265838
That was exactly my thought process. I tried explain that to my SO and they just weren't getting it. They thought "He's the salesman, he knows what he's talking about." Not taking my 2 years of being a networking student into account where I vaguely remember learning something along the lines of this.
>>
>>56265668
Cable and internet are using the same cable to your house. So it can, at least a few years ago.
>>
>>56265893
>"He's the salesman, he knows what he's talking about."
What a fucking idiot.
>>
>>56265668
I had the same question when they installed my Internet and home cable.

The receiver in my room and wireless reciever in my living room are both connected to my Internet modem using an ethernet cable.

One of the directv reps told me since AT&T bought them they are trying to push everyone to directv so then AT&T can focus on their Internet service.

Hopefully it's true because I think the amount I'm paying for and the speeds I'm getting are unfair.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.