[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ham Radio Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

File: ham radio.jpg (861KB, 1600x831px) Image search: [Google]
ham radio.jpg
861KB, 1600x831px
Anyone here ham radio enthusiasts? Answer me some questions
>why is it fun
>isn't it totally expensive?
>why?
just seems like an expensive hobby for talking to truckers. Seems dumb, but I find the idea compelling for some reason. Seems neat.
>>
>>56261945
Bump for interest
>>
>>56261945
>wanna get into ham radio
>only to listen to numbers stations, background noise and static

what are my options?
>>
>>56263811
Your options are numbers stations, background noise and static.
>>
>>56263811
Got into radio a few years ago. Bought a Grundig Satellit 750 receiver. I listened to HAM operators (they spend all their time either babbling about antennae setups, wishing each other "72's", which means hello, goodbye onto the next guy, or acting like /b/), airplane frequencies, and shortwave. I'd document the number stations I'd find (Cuba was the most common origin), as well as any other stations I'd pick up through changes in propagation. It's interesting how shortwave signals propagate and how they can reach they other side of the world depending on ionospheric conditions. I picked up signals from all over and check them with http://www.short-wave.info/.

Unfortunately, the stations are dying and the selection is dwindling. You really have just got to love the medium at the core level.

This is a highly regarded little handheld with an array of features. If you don't like it, you've always got the return policy.

https://www.amazon.com/Tecsun-PL-660-Portable-Shortwave-Single/dp/B004H9C4JK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472159641&sr=8-1&keywords=tecsun+pl660
>>
>>56263811
Listen to taxis and planes
>>
>>56264012
isn't that shit illegal even with a license? i have electronics engineering degree but have no idea about radio regulations
>>
>>56264064
>isn't that shit illegal even with a license?

Nope.
>>
File: IMG_20160825_232722.jpg (817KB, 1574x3884px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160825_232722.jpg
817KB, 1574x3884px
>>56261945
Just bought pic related and a RTL-SDR dongle. I've been able to get NOAA satellites images and listen to HAM operators, taxis and aircrafts. Still haven't been able to listen to number station tho.
>>
>>56264091
Numbers stations are usually shortwave, not UHF or VHF.
>>
>>56264091
You need a shortwave radio, capable of tuning into that designation of frequencies. That's where you find numbers stations.
>>
>>56264118
>>56264134
Shouldn't I be able to listen numbers stations with the dongle?
>>
>>56264064
Depends where you live.

In NZ listening in to radio is almost always legal, so long as you're not decrypting things with keys you shouldn't have, or acting on or repeating anything you hear that wasn't intended to be a broadcast.
>>
File: spectrum allocation.jpg (921KB, 2550x1632px) Image search: [Google]
spectrum allocation.jpg
921KB, 2550x1632px
>>56264158
>>
>>56264158
Doesn't go low enough frequency for most numbers stations, unless you get an upconverter, or do a direct conversion mod.
>>
>>56264169
so i could literally just buy a receiver, throw up an antenna and listen to stuff without a license? that's pretty rad, considering i live close to russia and there's a few active stations here from what i've heard.
>>
>>56264158
You won't find any number stations using that thing.

One free option for anyone interested is to use someone else's radio to listen online with SDR: http://websdr.org/
>>
>>56264200
Even if listening is illegal, you pretty much have to go out of your way to get caught doing it.
>>
>>56264226
it's not like getting a ham license would be that much of an issue, but i'm getting sick and tired of getting papers to qualify what i can already do.
>>
>>56264261
You don't need a HAM license unless you are transmitting.
>>
File: kx2_large.jpg (185KB, 1600x1158px) Image search: [Google]
kx2_large.jpg
185KB, 1600x1158px
>>56261945
>Anyone here ham radio enthusiasts? Answer me some questions
Sure.

>>why is it fun
It is about many things, depending on interests. Competitions, just talking to people, designing equipment or antennas, research (calculations and simulations for antennas for instance, using NEC), and more

>>isn't it totally expensive?
Not really. Using netsdr is for free. Buying a rig can be from 10 dollars and up, the sky is the limit. Pic. related is a very good, medium expensive HF tranceiver.

>>why?
Because fun.

Like many others I got my license when serving in the armed forces as a morse code operator. Many are ex-military guys. Ladies (aka "YL" - young lady) can also be found, also many of them having military backgrounds.

>>56264158
Easier to use netsdr.
>>
File: RTLSDR_Front-500x172.jpg (20KB, 500x172px) Image search: [Google]
RTLSDR_Front-500x172.jpg
20KB, 500x172px
Just picked up another pic related and this can go down to 500khz you just need a long wire antenna or a antenna that does HF.

im going to order a longwire soon to test the hf capabilities
>>
>>56264388
fug forgot link

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/new-rtl-sdr-blog-units-now-available-in-store-hf-via-direct-sampling-software-switchable-bias-tee-less-noisespurs/
>>
>>56263811
>http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/
>>
>>56264388
this is rad, I've sniffed some emergency radio signals with this
>>
>>56263851
underrated post
>>
>>56264169
Hey what are the ham license requirements like in nz? Was thinking about going for it
>>
File: ham-radio-class.jpg (76KB, 686x529px) Image search: [Google]
ham-radio-class.jpg
76KB, 686x529px
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.