[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Powershell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: powershell-icon-1000x380.jpg (33KB, 1000x380px) Image search: [Google]
powershell-icon-1000x380.jpg
33KB, 1000x380px
Any Windows admins out there who are very proficient with Powershell? I am very interested in Powershell and am wondering where to start. I love the idea of writing my own scripts and learning everything about the Windows Shell.
>>
Also would it be worth it to learn C++ or .NET to help learn powershell and become a better admin/script writer?
>>
>>56254850
Powershell is almost literally .NET in shell form. You can even load .NET dlls into a Powershell script and leverage its objects/functions directly. So if you care about Powershell, you will want to care about .NET for sure.

The real question is, why the fuck bother with Powershell? Every instance I've seen of someone using Powershell is either to prototype some kind of workflow or used as a stopgap for a more permanent solution later. If you want to go the .NET route, just learn C# and make C# applications, don't bother with Powershell.
>>
>>56254885
Mainly for automating my Sysadmin work/Writing more advanced automated scripts in the future
>>
>>56254843
I do a fair amount of Hyper-V automation in PowerShell. Learn how to work with the Windows unattended.xml. It's a good starting point.
>>
>>56254885
PoweeShell is great for sysadmin work.

It's best feature is its ability to perform ops on a domain/ad.
>>
>>56254899
Perhaps it has more use in that context, my experience with Powershell has been in the form of engineering utilities. The company I work for right now has a ton of them floating around to do all sorts of things, but they've been converting them all into C# because they just got so damn complex that no one could maintain the spaghetti script anymore.

Just keep your scripts relatively small and succinct. You will absolutely hate yourself if you make some 10000 line script file and then two years later something breaks and you have no idea what's going on anymore.
>>
>>56254843
Powershell is not fully free software, most of it was free'd up but there are still blobs and proprietary licenses in it, if you want a good shell you should try ZSH, Bash or MXSH (Google Fuchsia shell)
>>
Anyone have any links for good PowerShell learning resources?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.