/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How good is this site with actually teaching you how to code?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: codecademy-logo.png (13KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
codecademy-logo.png
13KB, 700x700px
How good is this site with actually teaching you how to code?
>>
>>56245618
I've had an account for years. It's pretty terrible, especially since they tried to monetize everything. I'd suggest just downloading a book and getting to learning whatever you need. If you need something like codecademy to keep you interested in learning, then maybe this isn't for you.
>>
>>56245659
Oh okay
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources#Python
Which book should I read to learn Python?
>>
You're better off buying a beginner book. Tony Gaddis makes good books for people just starting out.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=starting+out+with+c%2B%2B
>>
How good is this site at actually teaching code you how to code? FTFY.
However the better way to write the sentence is

Does this site teach programming well?
No, google, read, practice, repeat.

Read them both all
>>
>>56245676
http://file.allitebooks.com/20151103/Starting%20Out%20with%20Python,%203rd%20edition.pdf
>>
>>56245659
Wait... you've had an account with them for years and it sucks?. Why have the account then?.

I don't into codeacademy.
>>
>>56245618
It's ok. It's not awesome.

I went through their Javascript tutorial, already knowing a few languages. It was clearly meant for teaching how to program, so it was kind of overkill, but I was able to plow through it pretty quickly, and it gave me a pretty good understanding of the language.

The issue was that they don't teach you anything about DOM manipulation/access, or anything to do with actual real-world use. Everything used console.log for output, and I came out of it with no real idea how to use JS in production.

When you finish their JS course, they recommend you move on to their JQuery or Angular tutorials. I didn't bother with JQuery, because I don't want to bother with extra library bloat for I'm never going to use. Maybe they teach the DOM stuff in there, but idk.

I did check out the Angular course, and that was not good. I only got a very basic idea of the framework, and I didn't really know what I was doing once I was finished. I did the Angular tutorial on their own site, and it was much better, and provided links to the documentation for things it didn't fully explain.
>>
>>56246554
So you're saying codeacademy is really only good for teaching you the basic syntax of the language?
>>
File: 1470306855812.gif (742KB, 520x570px) Image search: [Google]
1470306855812.gif
742KB, 520x570px
Not OP but thoughts on the learnXthehardway series?
>>
>>56246920
Someone on /g/ said the guy sucked for some reason, don't remember why
>>
it's good for learning the syntax of a language
but shit for everything else
>>
>>56247106
Don't insult my website
>>
It is pretty terrible.
Try some XNA tuts as a intro to C# then dive into books for whatever language you pick
>>
>>56246871
No, it will teach you basic stuff about programming as well, in the context of the language. Basic concepts that are useful in basically all languages, like arrays, basic string stuff, etc. So probably good if you're coming from knowing close to nothing.

My complaint was mainly about Javascript, and how they left out a piece of the language that is literally the main and intended use for it. I also found the angular tutorial to be lacking, so those two things make my opinion of the site as a whole pretty meh.
>>
don't count on codecademy to teach you to be proficient in any language.

my advice - learn the basics: statements, expressions, functions, loops, conditionals, objects, etc...

then just start solving challenges ala hackerrank, or better yet pick some "easy" challenges from one of /g/'s approved programming challenges lists. you'll learn a lot more trying to solve these problems than you will at codecademy or any similar sites
>>
>>56245786
I don't actively use the account, but I made it around 2011/2012 so I've seen then progress.
>>
>>56246871
Not him, but I would say that's all it's good for.
>>
>>56247081
can this be a banner?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.