[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Meme aside, what advantages does Gentoo have over other OS?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

File: gentoo1.png (104KB, 370x492px) Image search: [Google]
gentoo1.png
104KB, 370x492px
Meme aside, what advantages does Gentoo have over other OS?
>>
>>56243114
Freedom
>>
>>56243129
If you want absolute freedom, you might as well cut off your internet right now and build everything on your own.
>>
>>56243114

>look mommy I compiled another one

Giving yourself false sense selfworth?
>>
>>56243114
It lets you customize every single program on your pc to include only the components, features and options you need.

It's utterly useless on a normal desktop pc.
>>
>>56243144
No, I haven't even installed it. Why did you get that idea?
I was actually asking because I was curious.
>>
>>56243114
You can choose not to use systemd.
>>
>>56243153

That was the answer to your question, mongoloid.
>>
portage
>>
Brag about it on /g/?
>>
All OSes are shit until Fuchsia OS is done.

Google will win the OS war like it won the browser war.

Wait until Fuchsia OS is finished, you'll be blown away.

It's not based on Linux.

It's made of 100% pure WIN based on the Magenta Kernel.
>>
>>56243143
Not that type of freedom you retard
>>
>>56243205
>botnet based OS
>>
>>56243205
You sound like those amd fags
>hurr durr amd is shit now, but wait 57 more years for amd zen 420 core intel jews on suicide watch
>>
>>56243235
>dat paranoia
>>>/x/
>>
>>56243114
Basically none.
>>
>>56243114
If you want to properly harden your system, Gentoo is the only way to go really. That's the main reason I use it. USE flags are pretty neat as well. Sure, you suffer somewhat of a penalty for compiling your own packages, but it doesn't take nearly as long on a modern desktop as some people claim.
>>
>>56243143

You're taking away my freedom to run software the way I need
>>
>>56243205
Shill.
>>
>>56243205
>Magenta Kernel
I have no idea what that is or how it compares to Linux
And I don't think you do either
>>
Can you learn something useful about hardware, kernel, etc after installing gentoo though?
>>
>>56243598
Nope. Once you install gentoo, it's no longer possible to learn about the hardware and kernel. You should always study the hardware and kernel before installing gentoo. This is why there are frequent threads created by people who have just installed gentoo asking what to do next. They've ruined their life and they'll never know it. It's a very sad situation all around. Remember to learn about the hardware and kernel before installing gentoo. A little knowledge goes a long way. Stay safe and happy hacking.
>>
>>56243693
>Telling lies on the internet.
>>
>>56243114
None.
>>
File: Dark as my Soul.png (2MB, 1343x5820px) Image search: [Google]
Dark as my Soul.png
2MB, 1343x5820px
>>56243776
>lies
>>
>Not a botnet like windows or chrome os
>Not an OS for brain dead people like OSx
>Not crashing and bloated like Ubuntu
>Not limiting like Debian and Arch
There is nothing about it that is exactly "good". It just does a job as a functioning OS. Right now, the market is saturated with shit so it is on top because it is perfectly ok.
>>
>>56243838
>Wasting all those time to have a functioning OS that does the job as most as well as what Ubuntu already offers by default.
I never understand why people use Gentoo.
>>
>>56243886
Probably because you don't speak English well enough to use Gentoo.
>>
>>56243932
>Mistyped one letter
>Don't speak English well enough.
Here is your (you), weeb.
>>
>>56243114
you can custom clock it to your cpu, friend
>>
>>56243962
The entire sentence is borderline gibberish you pajeet fuck.
>>
>>56243151
This, ability to have very specifically customized software is nice, but most people don't need it unless you really like software tailored to you.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-08-24_18-37-51.png (806KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-08-24_18-37-51.png
806KB, 1920x1080px
>>56243114
more control on your operating system. Also, the package manager kicks everyone's ass nowadays (apart of guile, maybe).
The defaults are sane, and when you first time install it (provided you have the minimum of the necessary knowledge about how a GNU/linux distro works) you get a really stable distro that, differently from arch, hardly ever breaks. Gentoo holds in high regard your configuration files, and, when it's time to overwrite them - it doesn't, notifying you instead and telling you that you should really look at them.
Finally, the downsides: you have to spend a little bit more of your time during the update - mainly because of the configuration files thing, and also because of the slotting (gazillion of versions of the same software at the same time managed in a right way) and the kernel updates (you can do them using genkernel - or manually, if you are a control freak or wanna show off your e-peen. Manual shit's hard though - you gotta REALLY know how what your kernel includes).
The compilation times are pretty brief - that is, if you don't install shit like chromium/firefox/gcc/llvm/libreoffice. However, there are binary versions of most of the "big" packets, so no big issue there. I usually leave it to compile shit overnight, so it's done in the morning.
Obbligatory screenfetch for reference
>>
>>56243574
https://github.com/fuchsia-mirror/magenta

It's still a wip, and it will take years to reach a stable state with working drivers ...

Honestly i don't see the point in writing another kernel. Even if the linux kernel is messy, it works just fine and supports various hardware and architectures.

For those who are crying about botnet, magenta kernel is under MIT/BSD ... i just hope the entire OS will be open source, as aosp is.
>>
>>56243114
It's more customizable than general linux systems.

The packages are all stable (pro and con) and do not delve into the most modern versions until they're proven.

Also, there is a slight performance advantage gained from compiling all of your packages, assuming you tailor gcc to your specific architecture.
>>
>>56244173
>>56244412
I have never experienced an OS or softwares that specifically are tailored toward my need.
I want to install gentoo now, fuck me.
>>
>>56244412
The fact you compile everything by yourself is more than a simple perfomance matter, since it can run on almost any architecture (arm/mips/ppc/sparc/...).

Not sure if gentoo can be considered as a great 'desktop' OS for a user, but it's a great way of learning how your computer works.
>>
>>56244431
It takes some learning - because, just as you learn how to cook if you want a steak exactly how you like it, you need to learn about operating systems if you wanna tailor one to your needs. Naturally, the more you know about the OSes, the comfier you can get with yours.
Remember just one thing - learning is hard. And, while you're learning you may get some inconveniences.

For example, a couple of years ago, when I was installing gentoo on my laptop, I was unable to boot because of the kernel panic. I spent a day googling, posting shit on gentoo forums and bothering hundreds of neckbeards on various IRC channels.
Turned out I forgot to generate an initramfs for my kernel when I installed it. Well done, past me.
>>
Gentoo allows you to compile packages with or without support for something. ex: You want to compile firefox without mozilla's branding, or you want to compile packages with LibreSSL instead of OpenSSL or you want to compile packages without the shitware that is freedesktop.org and redhat (systemd, avahi, polkit, consolekit, udisks, ifplugd, dconf, gconf, pam, dbus and pulseaudio) Gentoo makes compiling packages without support for stuff so easy, say you want to compile stuff without graphical support (X), all you have to do is put "-X" in a file and type "sudo emerge -auvDN @world" and every package will be rebuilt without Xorg support (if the package has X as a USE flag).

Other advantages include:

- By default is stable (you can configure portage to only install testing packages, though).
- Patching software is incredibly easy, you just need to put the patch file in a direcroy (/etc/portage/patches/www-client/firefox, for example)
- Smaller binaries
- Binaries optimized for your specific processor
- Extremely low memory usage
- Multiple versions of software in repository (like nvidia-drivers has versions for legacy cards)
- Overlay's (Equivalent of PPA, but better) are extremely easy to manage and use.
- Ebuild's (Gentoo's package format) are really easy to write and modify (to say, add specific USE flags or compile time options)
- If you are retarded it can be hard to manage (this is good because it keeps retards out).

- Portage is a really featured package manager, it can do stuff like:
pretending you have a package installed (package.provided)
mask versions of packages (say you want to mask every version above 304.131 of nvidia-drivers because you have an older card, portage makes this really easy)
You can configure portage to only accept certain licenses (ACCEPT_LICENSE)
and alot more (read man portage)

Downsides:
- Compile times for some packages are extremely long (chromium, firefox, qtwebengine, gtkwebkit, webkit)
- Portage tree is ~1GB
>>
>>56244752
>>56245062
Not OP but thanks. You guys are so nice. Is this the norm for gentoo users?
>>
>>56243886
Hello! You seem to have made some errors in your post! :(
Let me help you correct them:
>Wasting all that time just to end up with an os that at its best does its job as well as Ubuntu
I will never understand why people use Gentoo
>>
>>56245282
Yes. We're all very nice people. /g/ users are a prime example of our kind.
>>
>>56247121
kek'd
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.