[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do CS programs force you to learn a programming language?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: half_size_2015-1448929395.jpg (93KB, 1000x405px) Image search: [Google]
half_size_2015-1448929395.jpg
93KB, 1000x405px
Why do CS programs force you to learn a programming language?
>>
>>56242031
lol because CS is programming pajeet
go into math if you're bad
>>
>>56242031
Because CS being more than coding does not mean that you can omit coding.
>>
>>56242031
because CS in north america is just a fancy way to say "visual studio school"
>>
>>56242031
Because programming is such an integral part of computing, it would be ludicrous to not teach it
>>
>>56242031
Computer science is a wide range of complicated topics that are not programming. But programming is the language we use to express those concepts. If you can't do that, you're useless.

Also, most people learn better when they can actually apply the conceptual knowledge they get. How would you test competence in a data structures course without having them write code that implements data structures?
>>
>>56242031
Is computer science basically the liberal arts of technological degrees?
>>
>>56243260

Graphic Design is literally a liberal arts degree.
>>
>>56242031

Why do applied math programs make you learn to use a calculator?

Why do English programs make you learn to read?

Because it's part of the discipline, you degenerate.
>>
>>56244220
Math programs do not teach you how to use a calculator

And you certainly know how to read when starting your English degree
>>
>>56244251
Applied math, not math.
>>
>>56242031
Because you need some way to weed people out
>>
>>56244296
No one teaches you how to use your fucking calculator. You figure it out on your own. Besides, you don't even use a calculator for the most part.
>>
>>56244299
I believe real analysis would do a better job at that.
>>
>>56242031
Would you prefer to just learn algorithms and shit from pseudocode on your lecturer's slides? Or would you rather have the opportunity to implement some of them and actually learn how they work? If they didn't force you to use a language like C, you'd cut corners and use Python or another "programming" "language" and not learn jack shit.

Besides, can you imagine learning the basics of how processors work without being taught assembly? Or learning about OOP without being taught an OOP language? I can't.
>>
File: 1472016428203.png (603KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
1472016428203.png
603KB, 630x630px
>>56244374
>If they didn't force you to use a language like C, you'd cut corners and use Python or another "programming" "language" and not learn jack shit
bruh
>>
>>56244374
Why would I want to learn OOP when it is inherently anti-parallel?
>>
>>56245367
Parallel programming is a meme.
>>
>>56245486
no it isn't you idiot
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.