[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

EOMA68 freedom fail

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: Libre Tea unfunDEAD.png (337KB, 800x818px) Image search: [Google]
Libre Tea unfunDEAD.png
337KB, 800x818px
Well congrats /g/, you missed the opportunity to help give the world a much needed piece of hardware that respects everyone's freedom:

https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop

You better apologize to RMS right now!

What do you say in your defence?
>>
>>56234795
Not like it's the only free hardware that was coming out. The Talos workstation's still going to be a thing
>>
>What do you say in your defence?
Never heard of it.
>>
>>56234810
>8 thousand united states dollars
>>
>>56234863
You retarded? Cheapest configuration's under $4k. Also
>what is economy of scale
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 275x183px
>Allwinner
>>
>>56234795
>ARM
And nothing of value was lost.
>>
>>56234989

I'm ready for a decently powerful fully open hardware ARM setup. By decently powerful I mean pi 3 not hampered by putting everything on the fucking USB bus. I want full SATA, 10gb ethernet, AC wifi, and some manner of USB because I only need it for devices and not really storage transfer. Something freedom respecting I can drop in a laptop shell or use as a desktop at home.

I don't need x86 power and microcode backdoors.
>>
>>56234810
>>56234863
>>56234944
To be fair, this is a POWER8 system, not just some simple Dell workstation. That shit goes in servers and supercomputers.

>>56234944
>>what is economy of scale
People like to spout this way more than is applicable. Going from dozens to hundreds isn't going to budge the price much. Feel free to look up components on any supplier website. 100 batch or even 500 batch discounts are a pittance.
>>
>>56235070
I'm not saying it's bad because it's not x86, I'm saying it's bad because it is ARM
>>
>>56234795
Like most Free as in Freedom projects, this project's downfall was that it couldn't market its way out of a paper bag. If you look at successful crowdfunding campaigns, they're almost all marketed extremely well or at the very least excel at explaining why they need to exist to the broad public. This was squarely targeted at a ultraniche group of nerds and the funding it received reflects that.

Also, wtf is Crowdsupply? Kickstarter and Indiegogo are the sites people trust with their cash.
>>
>>56234795
>15.6” Laptop Housing
>1366 x 768
it keeps happening

the memesolution never ends
>>
File: UDOO x86.png (839KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
UDOO x86.png
839KB, 1536x864px
That UDOO x86 thing however got funded in only 7 hours on Kikestarter.

http://www.udoo.org/udoo-x86/

Should be closer (or could be brought closer) to freedom than most ARM-based "open hardware" developer boards.
>>
>>56235260
>Intel x86 CPU
>freedom
>>
>>56235338
That's the thing, anon. Freedom, past a certain point, ceases to be an effective focus for marketing. As long as you can put whatever software you like on it, most people will be happy with it. Very few people care about blobs/firmware/etc.

For a fully free hardware project to be successfully crowdfunded, freedom cannot be a primary focus. You've got to have other things to play up (features, novel form factor, etc. The focus has to be tangible.
>>
File: 1470960370088.jpg (38KB, 311x378px) Image search: [Google]
1470960370088.jpg
38KB, 311x378px
>>56234795
>allwinner chink SoC
>freedom
>>
>using "GNU/Linux"

I wish the GNU faggots would stop trying to take credit for something they didn't do.
>>
>>56235260
Are there any mainboards which run a fully open source BIOS/UEFI? Not talking about coreboot/chromebook cancer
>>
>>56235138
>Also, wtf is Crowdsupply?
Just because you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it's not popular. You probably haven't heard of many of the largest companies in the world.
>>
File: freedom stare.png (2KB, 155x155px) Image search: [Google]
freedom stare.png
2KB, 155x155px
>>56235496
>GNU/Linux
We only care about GNU/Linux-libre here anyway.

Call your blob infested joke kernel "just Linux" all you like.
It always takes dedicated "GNU faggots" to filter out the filth and make things freedom respecting and suited for safe computing.
>>
>>56235529
You sound like a faggot.
>>
>still no decent free as in freedom 64 bit ARM SoCs
kill me
>>
>>56235739
Good thing I'm not actually one, unlike you.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.